Dolphins Question

arkansasdolfan

I've always been partial to this prototype:

http://www.misterhabs.com/nfl-proto_files/Dolphins_alt_2.gif

(via Helmets, Helmets, Helmets)

That design is awful. But not to worry. If Parcells has any say in a redesign, it will go more traditional.

Don't bet on it. How much more traditional can they get? Outside of the way overdone drop shadows...the logo and uniforms are already severely dated. Unless they put an aqua colored block letter 'M' on a white helmet with grey facemasks, you can't get much more traditional than what they have now.

I actually don't think Parcells will do a thing to be honest with you. He should, but he won't. He should worry about making the team better first, THEN change the look.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually don't think Parcells will do a thing to be honest with you. He should, but he won't. He should worry about making the team better first, THEN change the look.

That's what he did last time. He took over the Jets, made them better in his first year, and changed the uniforms in his second.

That's what he did last time. He took over the Jets, made them better in his first year, and changed the uniforms in his second.

What about New England?

Parcells has no power to change uniforms. He won't be in Miami very long anyway.

I'd be game if its something that say, uses the modernized logo only now without any navy traces...

Good luck. I've tried it for hours on end, and it's almost impossible make that logo work (short of a complete redraw that changes a whole lot of signature characteristics) without any navy blue.

There was a good redo of the Dolphins logo in a recolor thread a while back that did away with the navy.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...50633&st=40

(scroll about halfway down.)

I'd be game if its something that say, uses the modernized logo only now without any navy traces...

Good luck. I've tried it for hours on end, and it's almost impossible make that logo work (short of a complete redraw that changes a whole lot of signature characteristics) without any navy blue.

There was a good redo of the Dolphins logo in a recolor thread a while back that did away with the navy.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...50633&st=40

(scroll about halfway down.)

That's a total cop-out though. This individual simply replaced the navy with a darker aqua, which has less contrast and makes the logo very subdued and muddy. What i was inferring with my statement was that it's nearly impossible to make the logo work with three colors: aqua, orange + white.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I seem to recall the Dolphins denying any plans for a logo change once that story hit.

As for the uniforms, they made a minor change last season, reducing the size of the dropshadow.

They denied a change was coming for the '07 season but admitted that they were working on something for the '08 season.

cttdolphins2.png

Parcells has no power to change uniforms. He won't be in Miami very long anyway.

Uh, what are you talking about? Parcells runs the team. Remember, he's the VP of Football Operations, not the coach. And Parcells doesn't have to do anything, the front office has been moving forward with a change for a year now.

cttdolphins2.png

What about New England?

In New England the Pats changed to the current helmets from Pat Patriot in his very first season, and totally re-did the uniforms as well. I doubt Parcells himself had anything to do with that directly since it happened in his first season, but to me more accurate the Pats made adjustments to that uniform for the first 3 seasons that it was worn, which Parcells could very well have had a say-so in.

98Falcons.png

What about New England?

In New England the Pats changed to the current helmets from Pat Patriot in his very first season, and totally re-did the uniforms as well. I doubt Parcells himself had anything to do with that directly since it happened in his first season, but to me more accurate the Pats made adjustments to that uniform for the first 3 seasons that it was worn, which Parcells could very well have had a say-so in.

Matt Millen is the CEO of the Lions and he wanted to add a Raider like look to their unis by adding black to their unis

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

What about New England?

Matt Millen is the CEO of the Lions and he wanted to add a Raider like look to their unis by adding black to their unis

Now there's a team I'd try to emulate! :D

Sigs are for sissies.

What about New England?

I think we shouldn't add this change to Parcell's resume. I think we all know that a major uniform/helmet overhaul takes time to design and get approval for. I highly doubt Parcells had one iota of input in that decision. I attribute it more to 'coincidence' then anything else.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Parcells was the driving force behind the Jets' switch back to their original set. I thought I read that he said they never won squat in the kelly green, so it was time to return to a better look. Something like that.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I was working as a sports radio broadcaster in New England at the time of the Patriots' logo and uniform switch. Parcells had nothing to do with it. It was in progress prior to his arrival on the scene. In fact, during an interview, I attempted to ask him a question about his opinion on the Patriots' new look; his disdain for the subject was palpable.

As for the Dolphins' current logo, it is - in my opinion - absolutely perfect. It strikes me as being one of the standards by which other sports logo modernizations should be measured.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Parcells was the driving force behind the Jets' switch back to their original set. I thought I read that he said they never won squat in the kelly green, so it was time to return to a better look. Something like that.

I'm pretty sure it is widely known.

I remember the press conference, and he talked about how he thought the white helmets were better targets for quarterbacks.

Can't speak to the Patriots changes, but he was the driving force behind the Jets' throwbacks, no question.

Interesting about the Patriots:

The 1993 change to blue jerseys and the Flying Elvis logo was in the works well before Parcells came aboard. The team was so bad in 89-92 that folks within the organization wanted a dramatic change. NFL Properties was all for it as well, because the Patriots were at the bottom of merchandise sales, and the old Pat Patriot logo was the hardest by far to reproduce.

The 1994 changes were because elements of the 1993 uniforms were difficult to see. The red on white numbers on the blue jersey were nearly impossible to identify from the stands. The flag-inspired pant striping never really worked to the team's satisfaction as well.

The 1995 changes were completely driven by Bob Kraft. He wanted to borrow elements from the two premier franchises at the time, the Cowboys and the 49ers. From the 1994 Cowboys alternate jerseys, he borrowed big logos on the shoulders and the wordmark under the neck (it was actually innovative back then.) From the 1994 Niners' throwbacks, he used drop shadow numbers. The unique two-toned striping pattern was something he saw in European soccer (he owns the Revolution too) and really liked.

What's your source on that?

I'm not doubting you, but I don't see the visual link to soccer.

Shadow stripes were huge in soccer in the 80s and 90s, to the point that I immediately thought of the soccer influence when I saw the Patriots' shadow striped jersey. I still have at least one jersey with the same stripe pattern that I wore in the early 90s and probably wore 3-4 others.

The use of sublimated images (both large and small) was also common in that era. However, no NFL team was brave enough to give that a try.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Just about the ONLY thing I liked about the royal blue Pats jerseys was the subtle pattern that was woven into the fabric of the jersey. If I remember correctly, the pattern was a vertical alternating design. I liked the effect it had on the jersey.

Other than that, the rest of the jersey was pretty bad IMO.

Just about the ONLY thing I liked about the royal blue Pats jerseys was the subtle pattern that was woven into the fabric of the jersey. If I remember correctly, the pattern was a vertical alternating design. I liked the effect it had on the jersey.

Correct.

Other than that, the rest of the jersey was pretty bad IMO.

Correct again.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived