Dolphins Question

arkansasdolfan

Hey guys, there is a huge explosion on Dolphins message boards about the possible Dolphins logo/uniform change that was mentioned in the same story last year as the Chargers and NFL change. The latest powderkeg was that someone noticed that they had taken the logos off of all the buildings (including the big one on the practice bubble) in Davie. So anybody have an inside scoop on this, b/c I dont think this thing is going to drop until the draft.

dolphins2.png

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to be honest, I've never really liked any of the Dolphins logos; old or new. I think the helmet is extremely boring and unimaginative.

I would be in complete favor of a more simple and streamlined, Dolphin-centric design without any suns or extraneous design elements. The shape of a dolphin is so recognizable and elegant even in its simplest forms that it puzzles me that a simple and sleek design hasn't replace what they have now. Not to mention the fact that a dolphin's shape would work really nicely across the top of a helmet similarly to that of the lightning bolt of the Charger's helmets. I can totally see Miami changing to a leaping dolphin silhouette across the top of their helmets in place of what they have now.

Its whether or not they are willing to let go of the nostalgia that comes along with the logo they've basically had their entire existence. If they are willing to move forward, I think we can see some pretty cool stuff down there in Dolphin Country.

I hope they don't. I, for one, think the current logo is fine as is. As Powersurge mentioned, a dolphin logo could be more streamlined, but that doesn't mean that a logo should be as minimal as possible. Miami's logo is iconic and is simple enough.

Not to bag on your team, but if you think Miami's helmet is boring and unimaginative, what is your opinion on Chicago's? Besides how imaginative can you get with a helmet? Almost every team in the NFL has their logo on the side of their helmet (with some exceptions like Cincinnati and Minnesota), so it's not like many other teams are on the "cutting edge" of helmet design.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I hope they don't. I, for one, think the current logo is fine as is. As Powersurge mentioned, a dolphin logo could be more streamlined, but that doesn't mean that a logo should be as minimal as possible. Miami's logo is iconic and is simple enough.

Not to bag on your team, but if you think Miami's helmet is boring and unimaginative, what is your opinion on Chicago's? Besides how imaginative can you get with a helmet? Almost every team in the NFL has their logo on the side of their helmet (with some exceptions like Cincinnati and Minnesota), so it's not like many other teams are on the "cutting edge" of helmet design.

I know I'm really biased, but simple and iconic logos like those of the Bears, Packers, Cowboys, Giants, etc. look fantastic on a helmet.

Just because a logo has been around for a long time (like the Dolphins' logo) doesn't make it iconic by any means.

My main point is that the Dolphins should simplify their logo and emphasize the elegant shape of the dolphin without adding unnecessary elements. I think what they have now, although unique is quite boring. It looks incredibly dated to me and needs more than just 'fine tuning'....it needs a complete overhaul.

I really like the new Dolphin Stadium logo:

logo-DolphinStadium.gif

logo_dolphinstadium.jpg

I'm not sure that they should change, because I value continuity and tradition, but if they were to change I'd like to see them incorporate something like this.

Yeesh. That looks like a logo for some small fly-by-night airline specializing in flights to the Caribbean.

I'm sure Parcells will mess with something...he did it with the Patriots and the Jets.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

If the 'Phins do change I'll reserve judgement when it's unveiled, but I remain in the camp thinking that the Dolphins don't need an overhaul with their identity.

Just because a logo has been around for a long time (like the Dolphins' logo) doesn't make it iconic by any means.

I agree with your premise, but that doesn't prove that the Dolphins' logo isn't iconic. Out of curiosity, what makes a logo iconic? Furthermore, what makes a good helmet logo?

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I'd be game if its something that say, uses the modernized logo only now without any navy traces...

Good luck. I've tried it for hours on end, and it's almost impossible make that logo work (short of a complete redraw that changes a whole lot of signature characteristics) without any navy blue.

While I like the Dolphins' logo, it is sort of unimaginitively placed on the helmet if you ask me as well. They did what they could with it, and it's clearly a product of the time. You probably wouldn't see anything like that released nowadays. The update they did to the uniform seems a little lazy to me as well, simply adding the navy blue stripe inside the aqua one and adding a drop shadow to a some trendy numerals. When I redo this concept, I'm going to go radical, probably using a variation of the Dolphin Stadium logo.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

How come it's Dolphin Stadium, not Dolphin(s) Stadium? Does that mean it's a singular Dolphin's stadium? Did some guy named Dolphin name the stadium? Did they want to name it Shula Stadium, Czonka Stadium, Marino Stadium, or gosh forbid... Williams Stadium. But then decide to go with the more ambiguous Dolphin Stadium? I mean seriously....

I mean less seriously, :upside: I was just joking lol. Whatever name you slap on that place, it will still be Pro Player Stadium to me... I kid I kid! It will forever be Joe Robbie Stadium!!!!! Same as I will always Freudian Slip County Stadium to talk about Miller Park.

As far as Dolphins changes, I hope not I really dig their look, sans ALL orange, or ALL teal!

Love ya love ya

Kyle

packchampionslfroh.png

I've always like the Dolphins look. Simple and easy. I like the fact the drop shadow is less pronounced.

I'd like to see them actually wear the aqua jerseys. Did they even wear them once this past season?

They wore aqua jerseys in the London game...

...and Week 1 @ Washington...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

How come it's Dolphin Stadium, not Dolphin(s) Stadium? Does that mean it's a singular Dolphin's stadium? Did some guy named Dolphin name the stadium? Did they want to name it Shula Stadium, Czonka Stadium, Marino Stadium, or gosh forbid... Williams Stadium. But then decide to go with the more ambiguous Dolphin Stadium? I mean seriously....

Singular names are the norm: Yankee Stadium, Tiger Stadium, Angel Stadium, Dodger Stadium, Oriole Park, Sun Devil Stadium. There have been some plurals - Braves Field in Boston is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are others.

I suspect that Huizenga intended to look for a corporate sponsor, so he gave it a name that he could later change without fan backlash.

Singular names are the norm: Yankee Stadium, Tiger Stadium, Angel Stadium, Dodger Stadium, Oriole Park, Sun Devil Stadium. There have been some plurals - Braves Field in Boston is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are others.

I suspect that Huizenga intended to look for a corporate sponsor, so he gave it a name that he could later change without fan backlash.

Giants Stadium (or is it Giant's Stadium?)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've always been partial to this prototype:

http://www.misterhabs.com/nfl-proto_files/Dolphins_alt_2.gif

(via Helmets, Helmets, Helmets)

That design is awful. But not to worry. If Parcells has any say in a redesign, it will go more traditional.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived