What would be your ideal NFL?

wdm1219inpenna

3. Each team must be televised on national TV (NFL Network excluded) at least once each season, and at least one night, prime time game for each team every 2 seasons.

Why should bad teams get rewarded with primetime games, and why would anyone outside of Detroit and Arizona want to watch a Lions-Cardinals game.

Ultimately, it's about maximizing profits. Guarenteeing each team a Sunday night or Monday night game almost guarentees a sellout. In markets where they haven't played many SNF/MNF games, a big deal is made about it, and in turn, the excitement is bigger than a normal 1pm/4pm kickoff. Look at Buffalo this year or New Orleans last year.....those games were definitely a lot more enthusiastic than the rest of their games.

Besides, with the parity, increased methods of watching football, flex scheduling, and the emphasis of showcasing the players over the teams, prime time games are less of a reward for the previous season than it is the current season.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

American Football Conference

East Division

Buffalo Bills

Montreal Alouettes

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Toronto Argonauts

North Division

Baltimore Ravens

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Indianapolis Colts

Pittsburgh Steelers

South Division

Birmingham Vulcans

Houston Oilers

Jacksonville Jaguars

Miami Dolphins

Tennessee Titans

West Division

Denver Broncos

Kansas City Cavalry

Oakland Raiders

San Diego Chargers

Seattle Seahawks

National Football Conference

East Division

Atlanta Falcons

Carolina Panthers

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

Washington Federals

North Division

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

St. Louis Rams

South Division

Dallas Cowboys

Memphis Showboats

New Orleans Saints

San Antonio Stampede

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

West Division

Arizona Cardinals

Las Vegas Vipers

Los Angeles Condors

San Francisco 49ers

Vancouver Grizzlies

But will we see the 40-team NFL in the next 30 years, Brian?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

But will we see the 40-team NFL in the next 30 years, Brian?

My contribution to the thread was where I would like to ideally see the NFL vis a vis potential expansion within the United States. In truth, I'm not entirely certain that the NFL's best interests would ultimately be served by limiting expansion to the United States and Canada.

I can definitely envision the NFL expanding over the next 30 years. I'm fairly certain that NFL expansion will occur at a more measured pace - closer to four teams over the next 30 years, though I'm equally certain that said expansion will not be limited to the U.S. and Canda. In fact, I'd wager that the markets with the best chance to land an NFL expansion franchise in that time are:

* London

* Los Angeles

* Mexico City

* Toronto

Granted, the likelihood of any of these cities landing an NFL franchise could change based upon developments in the marketplaces.

If you're expanding the league, you better put a team in Utah, or someone may complain...

Howabout the Utah Mantlezz?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My ideal NFL would be different than the NFL, although not as extreme as some of the other ideas in here.

1. Get a team in LA. I don't care how it happens, but the largest market should have at least one, if not two teams in LA. Once Al Davis kicks the bucket, I could see the Raiders moving to LA (Either in the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl).

2. Have playoffs like they are in the NHL and NBA. Top eight teams get in, which includes the division winners.

3. Realign the conferences into Eastern and Western.

4. Drop 2 preseason games and add 2 regular season games.

5. Allow the Baltimore Ravens to finally obtain a quarterback who doesn't end up crying like a baby (Elvis Grbac), not be a bust (Kyle Boller), and not turn the ball over (Vinny Testeverde).

Thats about it, except put a ton of emphasis on items #5 on that list.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

My ideal NFL would be different than the NFL, although not as extreme as some of the other ideas in here.

1. Get a team in LA. I don't care how it happens, but the largest market should have at least one, if not two teams in LA. Once Al Davis kicks the bucket, I could see the Raiders moving to LA (Either in the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl).

2. Have playoffs like they are in the NHL and NBA. Top eight teams get in, which includes the division winners.

3. Realign the conferences into Eastern and Western.

4. Drop 2 preseason games and add 2 regular season games.

5. Allow the Baltimore Ravens to finally obtain a quarterback who doesn't end up crying like a baby (Elvis Grbac), not be a bust (Kyle Boller), and not turn the ball over (Vinny Testeverde).

Thats about it, except put a ton of emphasis on items #5 on that list.

What's with L.A. being "two teams or none" in their NFL bids? Just prove that you can handle one, then a second will come... probably never. Only New York has two, and they treat one of them like outsiders. Although now they're both in New Jersey, so now NY/NJ has two.

Also I fail to see how East/West makes sense. For the NFL and MLB, the conferences makes sense. It makes the most sense in baseball because of the regional discrepancies, but the NFL does well with it, and the inter-conference rotation (i.e. NFC North played AFC West this year).

3. Each team must be televised on national TV (NFL Network excluded) at least once each season, and at least one night, prime time game for each team every 2 seasons.

Why should bad teams get rewarded with primetime games, and why would anyone outside of Detroit and Arizona want to watch a Lions-Cardinals game.

Ultimately, it's about maximizing profits. Guarenteeing each team a Sunday night or Monday night game almost guarentees a sellout. In markets where they haven't played many SNF/MNF games, a big deal is made about it, and in turn, the excitement is bigger than a normal 1pm/4pm kickoff. Look at Buffalo this year or New Orleans last year.....those games were definitely a lot more enthusiastic than the rest of their games.

Besides, with the parity, increased methods of watching football, flex scheduling, and the emphasis of showcasing the players over the teams, prime time games are less of a reward for the previous season than it is the current season.

Bad Teams=Ratings Killers, keeping bad teams off of primetime games will maximize profits in the long run. I'm sorry if fans won't show up for 1 or 4 pm Sunday games they should not be rewarded with a primetime game.

Also why in the hell do people want to go with a Eastern/Western Conference set-up, the current conference set-up is perfect.

Bad Teams=Ratings Killers, keeping bad teams off of primetime games will maximize profits in the long run. I'm sorry if fans won't show up for 1 or 4 pm Sunday games they should not be rewarded with a primetime game.

Also why in the hell do people want to go with a Eastern/Western Conference set-up, the current conference set-up is perfect.

But yet you named Arizona and Detroit, who for the past few years have been selling out. Reward the fans for the Primetime games for going out and rooting for their teams. Both cities/states have been football cities/states for years. So I think if you should reward anyone it should be the fans for selling out for the bad teams.

The NFL is looking out for it's franchises more than the fans. The NFL is big enough to surivie that crap match up. The franchises need that prime time match up for extra sales. Plus it is exposure for those teams. It is a smart business move. The NFL's job is to make all 32 franchises successful. Atleast that is what they want. Besides, Next year the Cards and Lions may play in week 10 with only two losses combined. Meanwhile, that same week, a 3-6 Pats team vs a 1-8 Steelers team. You never know, Football is hard to predict who will have a winning season.

Yes, I am still hanging onto the NFL season. Yes, I am crazy for saying that it's only 29 more weeks until the 2008 campaign kicks off. And yes, what I'm about to post (and some of this is a re-post, or compost as the case may be), will also be deemed crazy, but at least it should hopefully spark some interest and or discussion.

First of all, much as I adore the NFL, I do NOT want to see 2 more playoff teams added. To me, the post-season is just right with 12 teams, and the seeding is just fine. If a 12-4 wildcard team has to go to a 9-7 division winner team, that's just how it goes. If a 12-4 team truly is that good, then getting a win on the road against a team with 3 fewer wins shouldn't be a problem anyway. I understand the spirit in which the commish is thinking in terms of a team w/a better record hosting a playoff game, but there should be SOME reward for winning ones own division, otherwise there is no point to even having divisions. Just lump all 16 teams together in each conference and have the top 6 go. How is it "fair" to have a Cleveland Browns team go 10-6 (and really get cheated out of an 11th win w/that icing timeout called vs Oakland), while a 9-7 Tampa Bay Bucs team MAKES the playoffs? It's fair because the Browns & Bucs aren't in the same conference. That's why there are 2 different conferences, and 4 different divisions in each.

Playoff seeding is fine as is.

Maybe it's because I'm an early riser. Maybe it's because I'm "old school" but there was something nice and comforting to me about having Saturday playoff games played at 12:30pm and 4:00pm. Now the Saturday games are I believe 4:30pm & 8:00pm EST, respectively. I would want both Saturday & Sunday playoff games to start at 12:30pm & 4:00pm EST. I'd also want the AFC & NFC Championship Games to start at 1:00pm and 4:00 or 4:15pm. It's ok that they start at 3 and 630, but I'd prefer them to be earlier. I understand why they are on later, and I know it will most likely never change back again. I guess in a way it's good that they start later, as it builds up more anticipation for the fans.

i actually like the timing as is. I really hate games that start at noon. I much rather watch a later in the evening game where i am more relaxed and more in to the game.

I would rename the AFC the HUNT Conference, and the NFC the Halas Conference. I would rename the 4 divisions to honor past NFL legends, either players or coaches.

I would also re-realign 6 of the current teams, 2 in the AFC and 4 in the NFC. I'd also have some of the teams re-locate to their old cities, and transplant one team to another city. I will discuss below:

In the Hunt Conference (AFC) the 4 divisions would be:

Shula Division: Miami, New England, NY Jets, Buffalo

Noll Division: Pittsburgh, Houston (Oilers), Cleveland, Cincinnati

Unitas Division: Baltimore, Indianapolis, San Antonio (Texans), Jacksonville

Madden Division: Oakland, San Diego, Denver, Kansas City

This would reunite the 12 core AFC teams from the old AFC East, Central & West. I'd relocate the Titans back to Houston, have them be the Oilers, and move the Texans to San Antonio, while maintaining the same nickname. Again I recognize this is in my own warped minded little world. This is just how I wish it could have been.

In the Halas Conference (NFC) the 4 divisions would be:

Landry Division: Dallas, Philadelphia, Washington, New York Giants

Grant Division: Minnesota, Chicago, Green Bay, Detroit

Thorpe Division: Seattle, St. Louis (Cardinals), Tampa Bay, Carolina

Walsh Division: Los Angeles (Rams), San Francisco, New Orleans, Atlanta

Again, this would re-unite, or keep 12 of the 13 "old" 1970 team divisions in tact, back when it was East/Central & West.

please stop with the realignment and renaming of the divisions. This is not 1975 where Tom Landy is on the sideline and the game is presented in technicolor. some of the realignment ideas is not even practical. LA to Atlanta or Tampa to Seattle would be murder for some of those teams. Stop trying to bring back the Houston OIlers. They are are not comming back. As someone who used to love seeing the oilers on tv and on football cards, we must accept that they are not comming back. They are the Tennessee Titans. Houston now has the Houston Texans. The cardinals are not relocating back to St. Louis, they are not going back Chicago. They are staying put in Arizona for the immediate future. The only one that is plausable is the Rams to LA. But i seriously doubt the rams will return to LA. I fail to see St. Louis going out of their way to let the Rams go. Unless things breakdown pretty badly between the ownership and the city. Then i doubt they are going to LA.

I would keep the regular season at 16 games. I would eliminate the bye week during the regular season. I'd also want to eliminate the bye week between the Conference Championship Games (which would be re-named the Hunt Conference Title Game & Halas Conference Title Game), and have the Super Bowl played in JANUARY!!! I hate that it's in February. February to me is a feminine month, I think of hearts, not FOOTBALL! Again, because tv controls it all, and Feb is a "sweeps" month, it will forevermore be in February probably. I didn't care about the Pro Bowl being in Feb. since about 7 people in total watch that game anyway (with me being 1 of them).

not sure why there is such animosity towards the bye week. Alot of teams use that week to rest up players in preperation for their next match. now the bye week between the conference title games could be eliminated. This extends the season far too long. playing on that i personally wouldn't mind the super bowl back in january again the season tends to drag on a tad bit too long when it hits februrary. However from a business/marketing/ratings POV i do see why they put the biggest game in February.

Pre-season I'm indifferent toward. I kind of like and understand the need for there to be 4 weeks of it. The two things I would do differently, is I'd have the Hall of Fame Game be one of the 64 pre-season games (not one of 65). I dislike that 2 teams have to play a FIFTH preseason game. I don't even know what criteria are used to determine which 2 teams play in the HOF game each year. The other thing I'd do differently, is I'd schedule pre-season games so that nobody would play against a team that they were scheduled to play in the regular season too.

for the most part i agree here. the HOF game is the one that bothers me abit. the game is called the Hall of Fame game obviously being played in Canton and on the heel of the HOF inductions. What bothers me is the game itself is played by scrubs by both teams. I always thought if you had a HOF game, have it be a charity type of game with actual HOF/non-hof legend players. probably a bit impractical and wishfull thinking. or if you do play with scrubs, make it one of the 64 games played. as you suggested.

I'd eliminate some commercials. I know, talk about utter utopia! I dislike when they kick off, then go to yet MORE commercials, and half the time it's for "Survivor" or other network dopey shows.

this one thing that SHOULD be changed. Its very hard to get in to the game when I have to sit through 5 to 7 minutes of commercials, then have a punt or kick off last about minute and a half, then cut back to 5 to 7 minutes worth of commericals. I agree whole heartidly on this one.

I'd want overtime to be amended. Still have the coin flip, but allow both teams offenses to score. I know this isn't baseball, but if football is truly a TEAM sport, then both the offensive AND defensive TEAMS should get an equal shot in overtime! I suggested this idea a while back but it got lukewarm receptions. In overtime the first team w/the ball needs to score (td or fg) as fast as they can. Have the clock count up from 0:00 to however long it takes them to score. So if a team scores a Field Goal in 2:43, the other team gets the ball and must score at least 3 in 2:43. If they score 6, they'd win. If they didn't score 3 by the time the clock expired, they'd lose. Each team would start at their own 20 yard line, there'd be no kickoffs in OT, this would avoid 1 team scoring a TD in 0:09 and the other team possibly not being able to run it back as fast. If the first team on offense turned the ball over, and the defense scored, then the game would end right then and there.

OT is fine as is. if you win the coin toss, then its your job to get the team down the field and put up points. If you are the defesne is is your job to stop the offense. If the defense can't stop the team from scoring then that team has no business with a shot to win. Like wise offensively. If you can't get your team to score in ot, then you don't deserve to win.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

continued....

I'd want the NFC back on CBS, the AFC on NBC, ABC to have Monday Night Football, and have Monday Night Football be an EVENT again. Now that ESPN has it, many of the matchups are to me not very good or attractive. I'd also have MNF be the flex-game, after week 8. I'd have all 12 of last year's playoff teams featured on 1 Monday Night game of the first 8, and the Conference Champions showcased at least twice during the first 8 weeks of Monday Night. I'd keep the Thursday Night season kickoff game too, and keep the traditional Thanksgiving games plus the third alternating Thanksgiving game at night now. I'd like to see NBC and CBS switch off each week, in having a triple-header. One week one network would have games at 1pm and 4pm EST, the other 1pm, 4pm and 8pm. Fox hasn't been the same to me in a while in sports coverage or pregame shows, and the ESPN Monday Night Football thing just ain't doin it for me.

eh, wishfull thinking.

I'd eliminate most domes. Minnesota should be OUTSIDE. Detroit should be OUTSIDE. And if a team with a retractable roof is going to host a Super Bowl, have the roof OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE when they close the darn roof when it's not necessary! They said there was a chance of rain in Tempe during the SUper Bowl. It's ARIZONA!!!!!!!! They get 3 drops of rain there per MONTH!!!! Heck last year the Super Bowl was played IN THE RAIN!!!!!!! OPEN THE DARN ROOF!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate when the Super Bowl is in New Orleans because of it being inside. I hate inside stadiums for football, unless it's ARENA Football obviously.

I don't mind domes or retractable roofs per se, i just don't like them being the first choice for choosing a super bowl site. I have no problem with the Super Bowl in Giants Stadium or in Cleveland Browns Stadium during the snow. Since the average schmoe will never have the money to attend the super bowl, they need to make it warm and comfy for the ubber trillionaires and celebs who attend the games.

When halftime shows are on, don't show the highlights or score of the game that people are already watching!

I usually use this time to refill on the drinks, snacks and pay a visit to King John generally for #1.

Alright, I've rambled on enough already, except to say I'd want to see some of the teams go back to more brilliant or brighter uniforms, or more old-school look in uniforms. I know, I'm crazy, Im' wacky, but that's how I feel...and as I mentioned before, the NFL Network would have, in my world, reruns of classic playoff games on all year, and Super Bowl games from the past, not just rerunning Super Bowl XLII, but ALL of them that were still available. I WANT to see Super Bowl V, I WANT to see Super Bowl VIII, I WANT to see Super Bowl XI again!!! Not Total Access for 20 hours straight, with a Put up your Dukes tossed in.

Rant mode off...

point #1 ain't happening.

point #2 p3083159t130.jpg

there ya go.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Kansas City Cavalry

Washington Federals

More ethnic cleansing, I see. Heaven forbid we acknowledge those who lived here before the Europeans. And to replace the names with those directly responsible for the cleansing, well that's just too kinky for me...

The NFL is looking out for it's franchises more than the fans. The NFL is big enough to surivie that crap match up. The franchises need that prime time match up for extra sales. Plus it is exposure for those teams. It is a smart business move. The NFL's job is to make all 32 franchises successful. Atleast that is what they want. Besides, Next year the Cards and Lions may play in week 10 with only two losses combined. Meanwhile, that same week, a 3-6 Pats team vs a 1-8 Steelers team. You never know, Football is hard to predict who will have a winning season.

The NFL's job is to maximize profits for it's 32 members and they do that by getting the richest tv contracts possible, single game or walk up ticket sales are a small part of the bottom line. The flex schedule for the Sunday night games would put a battle of 9-1 Lions and 9-1 Cards in primetime over a 3-6 Pats and 1-8 Steeler matchup.

I'd like to see a New York team that's not actually a New Jersey team.

You got it.

For now.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived