New Orleans Saints

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

St. Louis Rams

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Washington Redskins

Play each team in your league once for a 16 game season. No cross-league games. Opponents are home one season, road the next. Winner of each league plays in Super Bowl. No playoffs. No wild cards. Players get bonus money based on how high in the standings the team finishes. If two teams finish with best record in each league, head-to-head determines winner.

How's that for radical? It'll never fly, but it wouldn't bother me...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soccer =/= American football

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1) No Fair Catch. Adopt the 3 step rule.

2) No Drug testing. It will regulate itself in time.

3) No Helmets. This will 100% end all leading with the head injuries.

4) No hard plastic protection, except for the cup.

5) No TV time outs.

6) Hockey Rule substitutions...home team changes players last.

7) All kicks result in a live ball.

8) Penalty box for infractions over 10 yards. 4 plays for 10 yard penalties, 6 plays for 15 yarders.

9) No penalties for "excessive" celebrations.

10) No unsportsman like conduct penalties on the first play from scrimmage after an excessive celebrations.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

1) No Fair Catch. Adopt the 3 step rule.

2) No Drug testing. It will regulate itself in time.

3) No Helmets. This will 100% end all leading with the head injuries.

4) No hard plastic protection, except for the cup.

5) No TV time outs.

6) Hockey Rule substitutions...home team changes players last.

7) All kicks result in a live ball.

8) Penalty box for infractions over 10 yards. 4 plays for 10 yard penalties, 6 plays for 15 yarders.

9) No penalties for "excessive" celebrations.

10) No unsportsman like conduct penalties on the first play from scrimmage after an excessive celebrations.

They should just adopt the rules from BLITZ.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

A couple of changes off the top of my head:

1. Cut the preseason to 3 games. Each team plays one home, one road, and one neutral site game.

2. Move the bye weeks later in the year, such that the last bye week is the week before Thanksgiving, and only the teams playing on Thanksgiving Day would have their byes that week. Speaking of which...

3. No games on Thursday except on Thanksgiving, and go back to two games. (@ Dallas and @ Detroit)

Many issues dealing with non-Sunday games and broadcast + the NFL will deal with "The Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961". Look it up and you will see a familiar name, Arlen Spector. Regardless, the airing of NFL games during then traditional NCAA season was prohibited, thus the NFL is loosely using this act to air games on Thursdays and Saturdays. They NFLN is just going around the previous laws set, especially since the high schools and conferences don't mind at all. Also remember that all NFL teams pay taxes on income, colleges try to shelter their foortbal income over the entire athletic dept. or just under the college's rules with the IRS.

Many issues dealing with non-Sunday games and broadcast + the NFL will deal with "The Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961". Look it up and you will see a familiar name, Arlen Spector. Regardless, the airing of NFL games during then traditional NCAA season was prohibited, thus the NFL is loosely using this act to air games on Thursdays and Saturdays. They NFLN is just going around the previous laws set, especially since the high schools and conferences don't mind at all. Also remember that all NFL teams pay taxes on income, colleges try to shelter their foortbal income over the entire athletic dept. or just under the college's rules with the IRS.

Another reason the NFL has the Thursday Night Game on NFLN, is because the movie studios buy up tons of add time at a premium to push the new movies coming out on Fridays.

No reel line mints for me, but some suggested rule changes are intriguing. I'd implement two changes.

Challenge System - Ideally, I'd get rid of it. The officials are professionals and are paid to call the game as they see it. Granted they aren't perfect, but even with Instant Replay it remains so. If it must stay it needs an overhaul. The first change I'd make is each team gets one challenge per game. If you challenge and win, you keep the challenge. If you challenge and lose, you lose the challenge. It's not tied to timeouts at all. There should be no reason why a team is punished (i.e. losing a challenge) because the officiating crew got the call wrong the first time. In addition, I'd allow all calls to be challenged because at their base, they are all "judgement calls."

Overtime - If you're gonna allow ties, then end it at regulation. If you want overtime, play 'til someone wins. Also each team gets an equal number of possessions (similar to college football) in overtime. Instead of getting the ball at the opponents 25, the game is played like a regular quarter. If the first team scores on their first drive, then they kickoff and the other team has to match or exceed that on the following drive.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Kansas City Cavalry

Washington Federals

More ethnic cleansing, I see. Heaven forbid we acknowledge those who lived here before the Europeans. And to replace the names with those directly responsible for the cleansing, well that's just too kinky for me...

Probably the best spinjob I've seen for keeping racial slurs as team nicknames...

The Baltimore Colts

The Los Angeles Rams

The St. Louis Cardinals

The Houston Oilers

THE Indianapolis Colts

THE Baltimore Ravens

THE St. Louis Rams

THE Arizona Cardinals

THE Houston Texans

THE Tennessee Titans

Start living today, it's a great world

"Also, if a team's first score is a touchdown (with the PAT), and their 2nd score is a touchdown, that team has the option of going for the 2-pt. conversion. Of course the team has the right to decline the option. They will still have the option if they score a TD on their 2nd score, and their first score is a field goal."

Um.. teams don't have the option for a 2pt conversion at any time? I'm just a fair weathered NFL fan, so I just assumed you could, like in the CFL. Seems like a simple rule.

First off, let me say that I think the NFL is a pretty good league as it is. There isn't much I would change.

1. Use the Olympic standards for penalties for steroid use.

2. Regarding overtime, in the regular season I'd adopt the Arena league's rule of "sudden death after each team gets one possession".

3. I'd also suggest the Arena league's rule of requiring forward gains late in the game to keep the clock running, perhaps using it in the last two minutes

4. I know I'll be shouted down for this, but allow 7 teams into the playoffs in each conference, giving only the #1 seed the bye. 1-4 still belong to the division champs, and they get to host the wild card round.

5. I echo the sentiment about allowing the Super Bowl in any venue, even cold-weather ones.

And perhaps the most radical...

6. Borrowing from the CFL, the period does not end until the clock reads 0:00 immediately at the conclusion of a play. In other words, if the clock hits 0:00 in the middle of a dead-ball period, there is still one play left in the period.

LvZYtbZ.png

Return 3 teams back to the NFC

Cleveland Browns

Pittsburgh Steelers

Indianapolis Colts

Move these 3 teams to the AFC

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Seattle Seahawks

Carolina Panthers

Speaking as a history major....

What the flip is up with people's weird obsession with resurrecting the NFL alignments of bygone decades?!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Cleveland Browns

Pittsburgh Steelers

Indianapolis Colts

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Seattle Seahawks

Carolina Panthers

What the flip is up with people's weird obsession with resurrecting the NFL alignments of bygone decades?!

because there are those of us that want to live in the past. For baseball fans its the era of babe ruth, for football fans its the era of technicolor, for the hockey fans its the era of gretzky(80s). this obsession really stems from not wanting to leave the past because we aren't, don't want to and won't.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Cleveland Browns

Pittsburgh Steelers

Indianapolis Colts

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Seattle Seahawks

Carolina Panthers

I don't want to live in the past. The Browns, Steelers, and Colts were in the NFL not the ALF. The reason they went to the AFC is because of Modells greed. He said he'd move to the AFC if the Steelers & one more team were paid 3 million each to make the move. Put them back where they belong in the NFC. The 3 teams I picked to go to the AFC all were born after the 1970 merger.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

Cleveland Browns

Pittsburgh Steelers

Indianapolis Colts

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Seattle Seahawks

Carolina Panthers

I don't want to live in the past. The Browns, Steelers, and Colts were in the NFL not the ALF. The reason they went to the AFC is because of Modells greed. He said he'd move to the AFC if the Steelers & one more team were paid 3 million each to make the move. Put them back where they belong in the NFC. The 3 teams I picked to go to the AFC all were born after the 1970 merger.

It was more than $3 million that got the Browns, Colts and Steelers to move to the NFL. First off the Colts were all for the move because it would have put them in a Eastern division(they had been in the Western Conference for years) and they had a built in rivalry with the Jets due to Super Bowl III. Modell made the move because he didn't want the merger ending up like baseball with two separate league's running things which would have happened if no NFL teams switched. Art Rooney was sold when he saw the division set-up of Cincy, Cleveland, Houston and Pittsburgh, since Cincy was Paul Brown's team and was born post merge, Cleveland was a long time rival, and back then playing in the Astrodome was a huge deal so Houston in the division was a big plus.

People need to get over this whole NFL-AFL stuff, the Browns, Colts and Steelers have been in the AFC for almost 40 years now.

Archived