What would be your ideal NFL?

wdm1219inpenna

A field goal 50 yards or more will be worth 4 points.

Can I then assume you want longer touchdown runs and passes to be worth more points than shorter ones? It's the same exact concept. And as the other poster said, you reward a team for failure by making longer FG's worth more. A team starts on it's 50 and goes 10 yards, kicks the FG, gets 4 points. A team starts on it's 50, drives down to the goal line, kicks the FG and gets 3 points. Not really fair is it?

Yeah, but a 50 yard field goal is harder to kick. So either way its no they shouldn't be awarded for failure, but in turn they should be rewarded for kicking a very long field goal.

Yes, but an 80 yard td run is harder to do than a 5 yard td run. Should the longer run get 8 points as opposed to 6 for the shorter one? Again, same concept...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A field goal 50 yards or more will be worth 4 points.

Can I then assume you want longer touchdown runs and passes to be worth more points than shorter ones? It's the same exact concept. And as the other poster said, you reward a team for failure by making longer FG's worth more. A team starts on it's 50 and goes 10 yards, kicks the FG, gets 4 points. A team starts on it's 50, drives down to the goal line, kicks the FG and gets 3 points. Not really fair is it?

Yeah, but a 50 yard field goal is harder to kick. So either way its no they shouldn't be awarded for failure, but in turn they should be rewarded for kicking a very long field goal.

Yes, but an 80 yard td run is harder to do than a 5 yard td run. Should the longer run get 8 points as opposed to 6 for the shorter one? Again, same concept...

Yeah, I totally understand. But really it would make the game a lot more interesting.

William, no offense, but STOP REEL LINE MINTS. That's number one.

Here are some feasable changes.

1. Overtime -- first team to score four points wins.

2. If a kickoff is downed in the end zone, you get the ball at the ten (if it goes out of the end zone, it goes to the twenty).

3. If you're in the lead after the two minute warning of the fourth quarter, you must gain positive yardage. If not, the clock stops.

4. Teams can run back a failed PAT attempt for two points.

And there you go.

That #3 rule I REALLY like! That's sensational! And yes, I know I am a wild & crazy dreamer, but I do this from time to time to drum up some chatter, and to see what kind of ideas are out there. I REALLY like that one!

They do that in the AFL.

My biggest concern is in OT. Just play a whole 15 minute quarter. If it's still tied after that then the game is a tie. No sudden death crap.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

All of these goofy idea's make my head hurt, the current NFL set-up is pretty much perfect.

The only thing's I would do are small, first ditch that second Monday Night game at the start of the season and give ESPN a early season Thursday night game to fulfill their contract. The other would be to have the Sunday Divisional Playoff games kickoff times be 3 pm and 6:15 pm.

My changes would be mainly about the broadcasting aspect.....

1. No Thursday games, except for the Thanksgiving Day games at Detroit and Dallas.

2. Compromising the two coasts, the start times for night games at 8:30 ET.

3. Each team must be televised on national TV (NFL Network excluded) at least once each season, and at least one night, prime time game for each team every 2 seasons.

My ideal NFL would be one that wasn't stuck in 1978. Y'all do realize that the "good old days" really weren't :censored:, right? :P

In all seriousness, I need an off-season of at least a month. I know it might be un-American for me to say it, but I'm NFL'ed out. Leave me alone until mid-March. Push the scouting combine back to 6 weeks prior to the NFL draft or push the draft up to 6 weeks after the combine. Either way, let a brotha go 4.5 weeks without NFL news, notes, scandals, trade demands, rumors, coaching carousels controversy, etc..

...unless the Patriots get nailed in this Spygate 2.0 stuff. Now I'll want to hear about THAT on a 24/7 loop on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNEWS, and ESPN Radio.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

1. No Thursday games, except for the Thanksgiving Day games at Detroit and Dallas.

3. Each team must be televised on national TV (NFL Network excluded) at least once each season, and at least one night, prime time game for each team every 2 seasons.

Why should bad teams get rewarded with primetime games, and why would anyone outside of Detroit and Arizona want to watch a Lions-Cardinals game.

Why should bad teams get rewarded with primetime games, and why would anyone outside of Detroit and Arizona want to watch a Lions-Cardinals game.

I'd watch it, but that's mainly because the only TV programming I watch on a regular basis is football. I haven't had cable in over four years. I'll take Lions-Cardinals over 'Survivor' any day of the week. However, with the emergence of the plethora of games on the NFL Network and ESPN, I may need to rethink my status as a strictly 'over the air' kind of guy. I don't know how many times I've had to go to my brother's house to catch a game.

Sigs are for sissies.

The only thing I'd do is have the league build a stadium in Milwaukee so the Packers can play here again.

I'll take it a step further... the league pays for ALL new stadiums, not the taxpayers.

...My ultimate dream would be to have the Colts move to Utah and play in Rice-Eccles Stadium, but that wouldnt work because 1) It's Utah and no one cares about Utah but me, and 2) Rice-Eccles decorative siding outside the stadium is red :P

Thats just all in my dreams though. Hey maybe one day when I grow up I'll buy the Colts and move them to good 'ol Salt Lake City.......oooo!!!!!

Not to encourage excitable young Mantle about the "Utah Colts" , but I always noticed the Colts horseshoe logo looks a lot like the letter "U"....

It is what it is.

...My ultimate dream would be to have the Colts move to Utah and play in Rice-Eccles Stadium, but that wouldnt work because 1) It's Utah and no one cares about Utah but me, and 2) Rice-Eccles decorative siding outside the stadium is red :P

Thats just all in my dreams though. Hey maybe one day when I grow up I'll buy the Colts and move them to good 'ol Salt Lake City.......oooo!!!!!

Not to encourage excitable young Mantle about the "Utah Colts" , but I always noticed the Colts horseshoe logo looks a lot like the letter "U"....

Oh man... if the Colts moved to Utah, there would have to be some kind of division reel line mint.

I wonder if anyone out there has ever thought about switching teams around, and if there are any good ideas for what to do if some teams move?

/sarcasm

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Oh man... if the Colts moved to Utah, there would have to be some kind of division reel line mint.

I wonder if anyone out there has ever thought about switching teams around, and if there are any good ideas for what to do if some teams move?

/sarcasm

I have an idea, kick the Jets out of GIANTS STADIUM

rob66.png

Some of these ideas really freak me out. Way too radical for the top american sport. The only things I would change are adopting college style overtimes and the elimination of 5 yard facemask. I would keep the pro bowl in Hawaii. It is for the players and a trip there beats the hell out of most NFL cities. I would keep the postseason as is. That means division champs get a homefield game, even if their record is worse than the wild card team. I would like to see the first round times in the draft go down to 10 minutes per team. You had since January to figure things out. That is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Some of these ideas really freak me out. Way too radical for the top american sport. The only things I would change are adopting college style overtimes and the elimination of 5 yard facemask. I would keep the pro bowl in Hawaii. It is for the players and a trip there beats the hell out of most NFL cities. I would keep the postseason as is. That means division champs get a homefield game, even if their record is worse than the wild card team. I would like to see the first round times in the draft go down to 10 minutes per team. You had since January to figure things out. That is all I can think of off the top of my head.

As of this year they are

As of this year they are

Nice! I thought I heard something about that. Very good move on the part of the NFL.

If there are problems with the owners, let me point you to the best owners in the NFL: those of the Green Bay Packers. (For those of you who don't know why that's significant, please look it up. More teams could try to do this.)

Also, I think things are great the way they are, overtime and all. I would make the Super Bowl get a better stadium rotation, maybe.

Archived