Forgettable sports teams

FiddySicks

??We See Red? is one of the most aggressive and fitting marketing campaigns this franchise has ever had,? said Panthers president & COO Michael Yormark. ?Red represents passion, desire, commitment and aggressiveness and that?s exactly the type of team GM Dale Tallon is building here in South Florida. It also represents our franchise?s desire to achieve success on and off the ice, to win, and to build a team and a franchise that our fans and the South Florida community can be proud of.?

Well..."Bring It" is officially no longer the most retarded ad campaign in professional sports history.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Florida Panthers Offseason is presented by JetBlue.

oh

I legitimately thought you were joking when you put that. I had to read through just to check though.

I can not believe that is real. Just fantastic.

It's almost too bad that the Panthers are as irrelevant as they are. No one will ever remember this terrible and just flat out entirely stupid organization when it comes to franchises folding or relocating. They'll just mire in down right obscurity forever.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I like that the Florida Panthers are becoming relevant in the CCSLC because of their irrelevancy.

Also, I disagree that an NFL team can't be irrelevant. The Cleveland Browns are pretending to be a franchise that they are not and have accomplished nothing since their return more than 10 years ago. Their only relevance is built on a history that actually was accomplished by a franchise residing in Baltimore, regardless of what the NFL says. No offense, Browns fans, but I have to think even some of you agree the deal, while bringing a team back, was still a bit raw.

I like that the Florida Panthers are becoming relevant in the CCSLC because of their irrelevancy.

Also, I disagree that an NFL team can't be irrelevant. The Cleveland Browns are pretending to be a franchise that they are not and have accomplished nothing since their return more than 10 years ago. Their only relevance is built on a history that actually was accomplished by a franchise residing in Baltimore, regardless of what the NFL says. No offense, Browns fans, but I have to think even some of you agree the deal, while bringing a team back, was still a bit raw.

being crappy != being irrelevant. They still have a large dedicated fan base and (I think at least) fill the stadium every week. Even a casual football fan thinks of the Browns every now and then, either because hsi team is playing them, is in the same division as them, or they're being made fun of on Sports Center for sucking. With the amount of coverage it gets, I really do tink that even the most irrelevant NFL team (Jacksonville probably) is still more relevant than a good number of NBA and probably half of NHL teams.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And thirdly...I still maintain the title of Most Irrelevant Sports Franchise belongs to the Sacramento Kings. They're so irrelevant that people keep forgetting to mention that they're irrelevant...along with forgetting that they even exist at all. (And that, my friends, is the true measure of irrelevancy.)

The Kings became relevant with all the relocation talk that's going around.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

And thirdly...I still maintain the title of Most Irrelevant Sports Franchise belongs to the Sacramento Kings. They're so irrelevant that people keep forgetting to mention that they're irrelevant...along with forgetting that they even exist at all. (And that, my friends, is the true measure of irrelevancy.)

The Kings became relevant with all the relocation talk that's going around.

Relevant amongst message board geeks and sports fans in SAC and Anaheim maybe. Did that news even really make national headlines? I'm not an NBA fan but I hear enough through sports center or local news coverage that I generally know what's going on, but I would never have heard about this if not for this board.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

NPR did a segment or two on it. They even talked about the Thrashers' relocation on Saturday morning, followed by a discussion of Giuseppe Verdi. My kind of show.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

being crappy != being irrelevant. They still have a large dedicated fan base and (I think at least) fill the stadium every week. Even a casual football fan thinks of the Browns every now and then, either because hsi team is playing them, is in the same division as them, or they're being made fun of on Sports Center for sucking. With the amount of coverage it gets, I really do tink that even the most irrelevant NFL team (Jacksonville probably) is still more relevant than a good number of NBA and probably half of NHL teams.

If this defines relevance, then all teams are relevant, as all teams play on the road and all teams play in a division. And all teams have some sort of fanbase in their hometown. My point was that the Browns' relevance is imaginary, built on a history that should have probably moved with the franchise. And I never argued they were the most irrelevant in all sports, just that an NFL team can be irrelevant. Some people are picking teams from each sport. Just my two cents.

Even if we grant that the Browns are playing make-believe with franchise records (which I think they are, but that's neither here nor there) I would still say they're relevant just by being in the NFL. Even the most irrelevant team in the NFL is relevant just due to the huge popularity/profile of the league.

Don't the Browns have some gigantic fan club?

I think you're confusing them with the local S&M club.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Thanks, I really wanted the mental picture of a beefy, middle-aged Ohioan bare-ass naked on his hands and knees with a ball gag in his mouth, getting whipped till he can't feel the pain anymore. Terrific, went great with my lemon cookies.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If this defines relevance, then all teams are relevant, as all teams play on the road and all teams play in a division. And all teams have some sort of fanbase in their hometown. My point was that the Browns' relevance is imaginary, built on a history that should have probably moved with the franchise. And I never argued they were the most irrelevant in all sports, just that an NFL team can be irrelevant. Some people are picking teams from each sport. Just my two cents.

Well the point about being in the division was pretty weak in hindsight, but divisions are smaller and intradivisional games are more important in football so while you may ignore a crappy rival in the NBA, maybe not the NFL.

Regardless of that, not all teams have a legit fanbase in their hometowns. Just see the majority of the teams we're talking about here.

Also, regardless of their history being imaginary or not, perception is reality, and the fact that their uniforms and name is the same as the original club means that just seeing them will conjure up images of Ernest Byner fumbling at the goal line, so it might as well be the same team, even though any semi-intelligent person knows that they're not.

Don't the Browns have some gigantic fan club?

Check the Concepts thread for the dog logo everyone tries to put on the helmets.

It's like the renaming the Redskins the Hogettes.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Came up in the NHL uniform change thread that the Florida panther is a sad panther because the team hasn't won a playoff game since spring '97, when "Mmmbop" ruled the airwaves. According to the 4/19/97 Billboard Top 100, this is what you were listening to on the radio when the Panthers last won a game in the playoffs:

Jewel - "You Were Meant For Me"

No Doubt - "Don't Speak"

Cardigans - "Lovefool"

Toni Braxton - "Unbreak My Heart"

En Vogue - "Don't Let Go"

Celine Dion - "All By Myself"

Sheryl Crow - "Every Day Is a Winding Road"

Duncan Sheik - "Barely Breathing"

Paula Cole - "Where Have All The Cowboys Gone?"

Spice Girls - "Wannabe"

R. Kelly - "I Believe I Can piss in your mouth Fly"

Blackstreet - "No Diggity"

Mark Morrison - "Return of the Mack"

Shawn Colvin - "Sunny Came Home"

Hootie and the Blowfish - "I Go Blind"

Puff Daddy - "Can't Nobody Hold Me Down"

Hanson - "Mmmbop" (only #34 when the Panthers won! It would only get worse for the Panthers, and us!)

Dave Matthews Band - "Crash Into Me"

Freak Nasty - "Da Dip"

Verve Pipe - "The Freshmen"

Blackout All-Stars - "I Like It"

Third Eye Blind - "Semi-Charmed Life"

Panthers should play "Mmmbop" at every stoppage (mmmstop, brought to you by Lexus) until they can finish at least 8th out of 15 and win a playoff game.

Hmmm, playing randoms songs from the mid-nineties? Seems like more of a Red Wings thing.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Check the Concepts thread for the dog logo everyone tries to put on the helmets.

It's not like there's any better options. The plain helmet looks strange, they would be ridiculed by the unwashed masses if they used the elf logo, helmet numbers are too collegiate for any NFL team other than the Chargers, and a monogram is too collegiate unless you're the Packers, Giants, or Niners.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Thanks, I really wanted the mental picture of a beefy, middle-aged Ohioan bare-ass naked on his hands and knees with a ball gag in his mouth, getting whipped till he can't feel the pain anymore. Terrific, went great with my lemon cookies.

Doesn't this belong in one of the politics threads in The Lounge?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived