Forgettable sports teams

FiddySicks

It should be. At least until the "Here We Go Again: Panthers Edition" starts up.

I once forgot the Panthers played in the NHL. I remember the Blue Jackets before I remember the Panthers. They're so irrelevant that they never get brought up in relocation discussions, despite being the best candidate for relocation outside of the Coyotes.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be. At least until the "Here We Go Again: Panthers Edition" starts up.

I think Florida's should be "Awww :censored: , it's starting to smell."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In the NHL the traditional irrelevant teams have been relevant for bad reasons (PHX, ATL, FLA, CLB, NYI) this leads me to name Carolina as the new most irrelevant team in the NHL.

They won a Cup five years ago, you dip.

Yeah I know, just not sure how that makes them relevant in 2011.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I'd say the Buccaneers, the Panthers, the Grizzlies/Raptors, and the Royals

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

NBA- New Jersey Nets :cry:

I don't think the Nets are irrelevant, at least compared to the Bobcats, Grizzlies, Raptors, and SuperSonics.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

I don't think the Nets are irrelevant, at least compared to the Bobcats, Grizzlies, Raptors, and SuperSonics.

Supersonics are so irrelevant, they decided to move to Oklahoma City to become the Thunder

Supersonics are so irrelevant, they decided to move to Oklahoma City to become the Thunder

Shut up, Gary.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

In the NHL the traditional irrelevant teams have been relevant for bad reasons (PHX, ATL, FLA, CLB, NYI) this leads me to name Carolina as the new most irrelevant team in the NHL.

They won a Cup five years ago, you dip.

Yeah I know, just not sure how that makes them relevant in 2011.

They have had solid performance since then, coming just 1 or 2 points shy of the playoffs this year and making it to the east finals in 09

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

which has nothing to do with relevancy. In fact it speaks more to their irrelevancy that they're not bad yet the avg person either doesn't know they exist or doesn't think about them unless their team is playing them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If you asked the hypothetical Man On The Street if there's an NHL team in Raleigh, North Carolina, he's probably gonna say 'no.' Of course, he'd probably say the same thing if you asked about Detroit, so hmph.

At some point "relevance" became "relevancy," I noticed.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

NHL - Florida Panthers - Rarely make the playoffs, trade away all their decent players, nobody goes to any of their games, and they are always out of the playoff race by December.

NBA - Charlotte Bobcats - An average bad basketball team. Never have any good players.

NFL - Detroit Lions - Haven't made the playoffs in a decade, they went 0-16 a couple years ago, and they always get crushed on Thanksgiving.

MLB - Florida Marlins - Haven't been good in a while and they trade away their good players.

Woah! You think I'm Cody? My name is Carl Scott Simone and we just happen to share a birthday. BIG DEAL.

• 1 year later...

Wow...y'all resurrected this?

Well since ya did, we now have a new leading candidate. And remember, for a team to be truly irrevant:

- no one (outside the city it plays in) knows, thinks, talks, or cares about it, or even remembers that the team exists

- it's firmly entrenched in mediocrity

- No one would know, care ir miss the team if it moved and/or closed up shop

My last nominee was the Sacramento Kings...but now with all the sale/relocaton/ aloof Maloof talk, they're back in the public conscience again. Just about every other post mentions the Florida Panthers, meaning enough people remember that they exist that they can't be completely irrelevant. No NFL team will ever be irrelevant as long as that league exists, due to it being as big a media machine as it is. I'd nominate the Kansas City Royals, but I get the feeling that folks in KC actually and genuinely do care about them, and would notice if they moved or folded. All of which leaves one team as the newly minted Most Irrelevant Team in (Major) Pro Sports...

...the Milwaukee Bucks.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived