Forgettable sports teams

FiddySicks

Considering that Marquette out-drawing the Bucks at the Bradley Center is a not-so-uncommon occurrence, I'd say it's fair to call them the most irrelevant. The Ray Allen trade may have been the single stupidest roster move a team has made in the history of the NBA, and it rightfully alienated most of their fans.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason I'd have to say Bucks too is that I've heard several people with Wisconsin ties on the interwebs say they'd just assume they move to Seattle and get an NHL team instead.

The Royals are terrible but KC does support them pretty well considering how terrible they've been for so long. I've been there twice for Cardinals-Royals series and both times they showed highlights from the 85 World Series since that's basically all the history they have.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Wow...y'all resurrected this?

Well since ya did, we now have a new leading candidate. And remember, for a team to be truly irrevant:

- no one (outside the city it plays in) knows, thinks, talks, or cares about it, or even remembers that the team exists

- it's firmly entrenched in mediocrity

- No one would know, care ir miss the team if it moved and/or closed up shop

My last nominee was the Sacramento Kings...but now with all the sale/relocaton/ aloof Maloof talk, they're back in the public conscience again. Just about every other post mentions the Florida Panthers, meaning enough people remember that they exist that they can't be completely irrelevant. No NFL team will ever be irrelevant as long as that league exists, due to it being as big a media machine as it is. I'd nominate the Kansas City Royals, but I get the feeling that folks in KC actually and genuinely do care about them, and would notice if they moved or folded. All of which leaves one team as the newly minted Most Irrelevant Team in (Major) Pro Sports...

I would say the Islanders fit this mold. Virtually no one outside New York/New Jersey or Philly acknowledges their existence. They have been mired in sub-mediocrity for the past 15 years. With the exception of the Isles fan base or what's left of it that haven't moved on to other teams, other sports, probably wouldn't know that they would haved relocated. Which is sad for a team that that had that 4 year cup run that hardly anyone knows about.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Wow...y'all resurrected this?

Well since ya did, we now have a new leading candidate. And remember, for a team to be truly irrevant:

- no one (outside the city it plays in) knows, thinks, talks, or cares about it, or even remembers that the team exists

- it's firmly entrenched in mediocrity

- No one would know, care ir miss the team if it moved and/or closed up shop

My last nominee was the Sacramento Kings...but now with all the sale/relocaton/ aloof Maloof talk, they're back in the public conscience again. Just about every other post mentions the Florida Panthers, meaning enough people remember that they exist that they can't be completely irrelevant. No NFL team will ever be irrelevant as long as that league exists, due to it being as big a media machine as it is. I'd nominate the Kansas City Royals, but I get the feeling that folks in KC actually and genuinely do care about them, and would notice if they moved or folded. All of which leaves one team as the newly minted Most Irrelevant Team in (Major) Pro Sports...

I would say the Islanders fit this mold. Virtually no one outside New York/New Jersey or Philly acknowledges their existence. They have been mired in sub-mediocrity for the past 15 years. With the exception of the Isles fan base or what's left of it that haven't moved on to other teams, other sports, probably wouldn't know that they would haved relocated. Which is sad for a team that that had that 4 year cup run that hardly anyone knows about.

I would agree with this but the new move to Brooklyn may help them become a bit more relevant.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

What about Columbus and Carolina in the NHL?

I visited Raleigh last winter and I was blown away by what an utter afterthought the Hurricanes were. Everywhere you go, you see people wearing UNC, NC State and Duke gear, people talking about UNC, NC State and Duke basketball, and stores selling UNC, NC State and Duke gear. I recall being in a Target with reams and reams of UNC, NC State and Duke gear. Then way at the end of the aisle you have one or two Carolina Hurricanes shirts nestled in right next to one or two East Carolina shirts.

At least the resort-town teams like the Panthers and Coyotes can draw a crowd of expats whenever the Blackhawks or Red Wings come to town... but there is zero hockey excitement in Raleigh and I doubt Columbus is any different with the college sports dynamic. And any happy championship memories in Carolina appear to be long, long gone by now.

It's a bit funny to see how my fellow Winnipeggers absolutely lose their :censored: over being back in the NHL when many residents of other NHL cities like Raleigh-Durham appear to be almost oblivious to the NHL's existence in the first place.

Yeah, Carolina is right up there. It's a totally whitebread existence in a city that seems like a totally whitebread existence. Just a bunch of low-density sprawl for displaced northerners working in office parks. The "New South" is a disease upon our nation.

I like the argument that the Florida Panthers can't be the most irrelevant because they keep coming up so much. That's like saying that Burger King can't be terrible if so many people think it's terrible, because if it's so terrible, how come so many people have eaten it?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I wouldn't say the Royals like everyone else is. The Royals have a pretty strong fan base in the Midwest. It's not as big as the Cardinals or Cubs but they do get followed. For the MLB, I would have to say the Pittsburgh Pirates are the most irrelevant. I mean they don't even draw more than 25,000 fans unless they are playing Philadelphia or its opening day.

mcbqza.jpg

I've put in around 40 hours in NHL 12 (I refuse to buy '13 and beyond) of my Be A Pro file on getting my created dude as awesome as possible in the CHL. After all that toil I was speculated to be a top 5 pick in the upcoming draft.

Draft Day comes. I'm now a Florida Panther.

Sigh.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I was recently in Columbus for the Arnold Classic and it seems to me that the entire downtown area is centered toward the Blue Jackets. They also seem to have a very strong following as I saw a lot of people wearing apparel. But from an outside perspective I can see how they are irrelevant. Hell, they might be in Columbus I just didn't get that vibe though.

My nomination for most irrelevant team goes to the Washington Wizards. Their roster is a jumbled mess of has-beens and yet-to-be's. John Wall has yet to capture the superstardom he was promised coming out of Kentucky while Nene is just another NBA big man and I've yet to hear about Bradley Beal since his name was called in the draft. Add in Emeka Okafor, Trevor Ariza, Martell Webster and Leandro Barbosa and this roster has little to be ecstatic about. Not to mention the haphazard identity crisis that lacks any cohesive aesthetic. For a team centered in our nation's capital, the Washington Wizards should be a hell of lot more relevant.

I was sitting around the office and thought to myself: The Charlotte Bobcats - they don't need to exist.

There's no history, they are woefully managed and outside of one season have always been bottom of the barrel in nearly every aspect of the pro game. There's nothing even remotely interesting about them.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I was sitting around the office and thought to myself: The Charlotte Bobcats - they don't need to exist.

There's no history, they are woefully managed and outside of one season have always been bottom of the barrel in nearly every aspect of the pro game. There's nothing even remotely interesting about them.

The only thing interesting about them is Michael Jordan owning them.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Considering that Marquette out-drawing the Bucks at the Bradley Center is a not-so-uncommon occurrence, I'd say it's fair to call them the most irrelevant. The Ray Allen trade may have been the single stupidest roster move a team has made in the history of the NBA, and it rightfully alienated most of their fans.

Such a shame too, because ever since Senator Kohl bought the team in the mid-80s, outside of the George Karl years, they've been pretty mediocre ever since. They were arguably THE model franchise in the NBA for a long time, and now they're a complete afterthought outside of Wisconsin.

Such a shame too, because ever since Senator Kohl bought the team in the mid-80s, outside of the George Karl years, they've been pretty mediocre ever since. They were arguably THE model franchise in the NBA for a long time, and now they're a complete afterthought outside of Wisconsin certain segments of Metro Milwaukee.

Fixed your post... while the Brewers have somewhat of a presence out-state (not nearly as much as the Packers or Badgers, but affiliating with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers certainly helped), the Bucks may as well not even exist outside of Milwaukee and its inner suburbs. And a good number of us could watch the Bucks leave town and not feel the slightest tinge of loss.

Such a shame too, because ever since Senator Kohl bought the team in the mid-80s, outside of the George Karl years, they've been pretty mediocre ever since. They were arguably THE model franchise in the NBA for a long time, and now they're a complete afterthought outside of Wisconsin certain segments of Metro Milwaukee.

Fixed your post... while the Brewers have somewhat of a presence out-state (not nearly as much as the Packers or Badgers, but affiliating with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers certainly helped), the Bucks may as well not even exist outside of Milwaukee and its inner suburbs. And a good number of us could watch the Bucks leave town and not feel the slightest tinge of loss.

What's really sad about this is that I experienced it first hand a couple of weeks ago, March 2nd to be exact. We had a double dip of basketball at the Center that day with Marquette/Notre Dame and Senior Day in the afternoon and Bucks/Raptors at night. The MU game was a total sellout and people were begging to get into the building to see it. The energy was so electric surrounding the MU game, and there was no talk about the Bucks game, except that yeah there was a game that night. It seemed as if the Bucks personnel were more interested in the Marquette game as well. The Ray Allen trade was a huge lynch pin in the Bucks' fanbase around here. In fact it wasn't just Ray Ray, but also getting rid of Glenn Robinson and Sam Cassel as well. Breaking up what was looking to be an annual playoff team, Central Division Champion, and consistent top seed with a chance to win it all. The thing that really hurt in the Allen trade though was that we got disgruntled from the get go Gary Payton in return for barely half a season and a guy they not only would trade away once but TWICE in Desmond Mason. And speaking of Mason you can't forget the whole Anthony Mason fiasco. Since the "Big Three" era *the whole organization has been a jumble of a mess. There hasn't really been much of an identity. I don't know if they are going to be able to hang on to BJ3 and Monta after this year either. Brandon has been outspoken in recent years about his desire to test the free agent waters and perhaps go to greener pastures. It's really sad when I look up at the banners from the 70's and 80's and see what the organization has become.

I almost feel like a parent with a troubled child when it comes to the Bucks. I'm losing a lot of hope that they will ever right the ship after these recent and possible future trying times. But I keep trying really hard to keep that hope alive that the light switch goes on, and they do right the ship, put all the pieces together and get back to the prominence they once had not only in this city, but the NBA as a destination that players want to come to. A team that is on TNT or ESPN/ABC at least once every two weeks to get the much needed national exposure again. **The problem with the Bucks, though, and other organizations in the NBA is that so very few teams get that national exposure, save for some highlights on ESPN or NBA TV. It would benefit teams like the Bucks or a few others when the Heat, or the Lakers or OKC plays them to make those the national games. This is kind of why I can't believe the Kings are such a mess, though reading through that thread I can see why. But they, like the Bucks, had great teams at the same time. But, they were always on versus the Lake Show.

Locally though, the thing that really hurts the Bucks is the prominence of the major colleges and the Brewers and the Packers. Around here we have 2 seasons, Packers and Brewers. When football season ends, people are more inclined to talk Spring Training and NFL off-season than the Bucks. When March hits it's all about MU or UW and in some cases UWM and or UWGB hoops and the Tournament. Just recently Greg Jennings signing with the hated Vikings got more coverage and still does than the Bucks. I really want them to be relevant again, and at least get the energy back in my fair city. As of now they are still hanging around that 6-7-8 seed and will be in the Playoffs. I can guarantee that no matter what people will try to pack the building for the games that will be played and a little electricity will come back. I really just have hope for this team now. I know this is hot button as well, but what needs to be done, is a concrete go ahead plan on a new arena, but that's a discussion for another day.

* I am in no way speaking ill of the fantastic organization that is the Milwaukee Bucks. I love them and wish I could do more than I already do for them on a day to day basis.

** I am not buying into any David Stern/NBA conspiracies. Just stating that the league would be better off being more inclusive than exclusive. There is a country full of teams in different areas, bring everyone together and don't separate them.

packchampionslfroh.png

It's really sad when I look up at the banners from the 70's and 80's and see what the organization has become.

Very well said, but this sentence stood out to me the most. I can't even see the current organization as the same one that was an annual contender back in the day. To me, the Bucks were the team that played at the MECCA Arena (on a floor that can only be described as "creatively stained") whose logo was a cartoon deer spinning a basketball on its hoof. Herb Kohl is one of the absolute worst owners in the history of sports, but doesn't get criticized as such because he was beloved as a politician and his purchase of the Bucks was seen as a show of civic goodwill (since he essentially saved them from leaving town)... but at what cost? I'd rather not have any team at all than to have one so utterly clueless as to what its fans want and doesn't even respect them enough to keep a guy like Ray Allen around. It still blows my mind that trading him was even considered, let alone that it actually happened.

Kohl is a well-meaning idiot. (Not unlike Selig, come to think of it. Maybe Milwaukee should put "The City of Well-Meaning Idiots" on their signs.) Big props to him for saving the team from moving, but he meddles in personnel decisions too much. Just hire good people and step back. I can't get behind him as all-time worst, though. He's been really bad, but he's not even NHL bad. A top ten worst owners would be eight NHL guys, Ted Stepien, and that guy who owned the Redskins who wouldn't hire black players.

Love that MECCA floor, though! I've posted my Bucks floor concept a few times. Basically what they have now, but with the two-tone stain forming Ms on each side of the court instead of just filling in the three-point lines.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Can't agree with you about Selig. At all. But you're dead-on with Kohl.

I believe that he was sincere in his desire to save pro basketball in his hometown. But I'm equally convinced that he wasn't up to the task, and worse yet, he wasn't able/willing to give up control to a person who was.

Makes me sad, although I can't bring myself to care at all about the NBA. Still, the city and state are diminished when they lose teams they can't support.

Archived