Forgettable sports teams

FiddySicks

Kohl is a well-meaning idiot. (Not unlike Selig, come to think of it. Maybe Milwaukee should put "The City of Well-Meaning Idiots" on their signs.)

It's an apt descriptor of our Mayor if I've ever heard one... but only if Wisconsin's signs say "The State of Scared, Miserable 'Muricans." :P

Big props to him for saving the team from moving, but he meddles in personnel decisions too much. Just hire good people and step back. I can't get behind him as all-time worst, though. He's been really bad, but he's not even NHL bad. A top ten worst owners would be eight NHL guys, Ted Stepien, and that guy who owned the Redskins who wouldn't hire black players.

I wouldn't say he's the absolute worst as far as straight up malice, but his incompetence could make even Daniel Snyder blush at a fraction of the price.

Love that MECCA floor, though! I've posted my Bucks floor concept a few times. Basically what they have now, but with the two-tone stain forming Ms on each side of the court instead of just filling in the three-point lines.

I sure do miss that floor my damn self. I'd love it if UWM brought it back (in some form) if they take over the old MECCA (as rumored).

8247349178_7c484f01d3_z.jpg

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't agree with you about Selig. At all. But you're dead-on with Kohl.

I believe that he was sincere in his desire to save pro basketball in his hometown. But I'm equally convinced that he wasn't up to the task, and worse yet, he wasn't able/willing to give up control to a person who was.

Makes me sad, although I can't bring myself to care at all about the NBA. Still, the city and state are diminished when they lose teams they can't support.

In Milwaukee's case, it'd be "won't support." Any intelligent person could see the drop-off in attendance after the Ray Allen trade (and the teams subsequent performance) and understand this was a market destroyed by inept ownership.

I'll accept that correction, although its largely a distinction without a difference.

Bottom line is the city will be perceived as less-than-major-league if the Bucks leave. That perception could hurt the city's quest to get either another NBA team or an NHL franchise to replace them.

I'll accept that correction, although its largely a distinction without a difference.

Bottom line is the city will be perceived as less-than-major-league if the Bucks leave. That perception could hurt the city's quest to get either another NBA team or an NHL franchise to replace them.

Only because I put "any intelligent person"... the NHL is run by idiots, and the NBA is complacent with David Stern as long as the checks keep clearing.

Until this year, I had no idea who the Golden State Warriors were, so I guess they qualify for this list.

It is funny, that one. They have lots of great branding options right in their territory (the romance and elegance of SF, the rough-streets-cred of Oakland, the high-tech boomery of the South Bay), and they go with a bland name that doesn't mean anything at all to anyone.

To borrow from one of my uncles, there's a brand of stupid at work, specifically "I have no idea WTF I'm doing, but if I'm paying, I wanna have a lot of say in it, and it got folks to vote for me all these years." Granted, he'd tried to let a GM do his job...problem was, that GM was Larry Harris, who never met a chucker he didn't like. Then again, that could be said for basketball in general. Baseball players aren't rewarded for taking at-bats, they're rewarded for hitting. Good NFL teams don't reward QBs who throw 30 passes a game, they reward QBs who complete 20+ of those 30 passes a game. Basketball players, much as you'd like to think otherwise, are rewarded for scoring a lot of points, regardless of whether the player in question shoots efficiently or not.

I've heard that there used to be Bucks basketball camps across the midwest. Nowadays though...heh. When you have absolutely no damn idea whether the team you follow is going up, down or just spinning its wheels in the mud, it's just a stupid situation. For all the :censored: Tim Duncan and the Spurs get for being boring, many teams aspire to be like them. I can't think of anybody in their right mind who wishes his team was like the Bucks...no idea who's staying, no idea who's going, no idea if there's even a plan. Most notably, little hope that the team, as it is now, is even capable of consecutive seasons at or above .500.

As was said about English futbol during the heights of hooliganism...if scrapping for the 8 seed is all the Bucks intend to aspire to, then let em move.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

NFL - Jags are up (er- down?) there for sure, but I'd also put the Titans and Bills with them.

MLB - Royals for sure are in that Top 3...I'd also say the Padres are there. It's an opinion of mine that the Rays would be beyond irrelevant if they weren't so talented.

NBA - Easily the Bucks. I mean, yeah the Bobcats are obviously there, but honestly, their ineptness has caused them to be popular..

NHL - Panthers. After the lockout ended, I read a preview for the shortened season, saw a Panthers mention and had to think for two seconds before Florida came to mind.

MLS (if you guys care for MLS) - Chivas USA. I mean, their attendance? Indoor lacrosse gets more fans. 'Nuff said

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

MLS: Toronto F.C., I never watched that league until the whitecaps came up.

NHL: Oh, how i'd like to say Toronto again, but they have history and are legitimately good now, so New York Islanders. Poor attendance and Poor seasons, also they cannot hold a lead for their lives.

NFL: For me, Tampa Bay. I was watching football for years before I even heard of them.

NBA: Charlotte Bobcats, just yeah...

And wildcard:

British soccer pyramid: Greenwich Borough, their history is kind of depressing.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

Until this year, I had no idea who the Golden State Warriors were, so I guess they qualify for this list.

it's a problem when you have to google what city a team plays their home games. Sure other teams are named after the state they play in not the city, but in a state like California that is so large and has so many major cities it's a good idea to be specific.

it's a problem when you have to google what city a team plays their home games.

For some reason I thought it was somewhere in Oregon.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

it's a problem when you have to google what city a team plays their home games. Sure other teams are named after the state they play in not the city, but in a state like California that is so large and has so many major cities it's a good idea to be specific.

I remember reading a story about a schmuck who couldn't believe that people he asked didn't know where the Warriors played, and this was when California was in their logo!

Come to think of it, this sounds like a Paul Lukas story.

spacer.png

The Golden State Warriors have the worst name in professional sports. In NCAA 2004 I made a create-a-team called the Golden State Warriors because the name sounds so collegiate.

"Where'd you go to school?" "I went to Golden State. Roll Warriors."

PvO6ZWJ.png

There's a Big 4 Sports quiz on Sporcle in which users must name all the teams in MLB, NHL, NBA, and NFL.

Here are the four least guessed for each sport (no particular order):

Nashville Predators

Memphis Grizzlies

Kansas City Royals

Kansas City Chiefs

But only one is the lowest of the four. And believe it or not, neither Kansas City team is it.

According to the Sporcle quiz, at a 58% guessed rate, your most irrelevant team in sports:

The Nashville Predators.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I highly recommend that Sporcle. I got 120, forgetting only the Sabres (upset about that) and the Hurricanes (understandable). Baseball and football were a breeze because I know every division and who is in it, but I can't remember the divisions in others sports. I mean, who the hell cares about division in the NBA?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I highly recommend that Sporcle. I got 120, forgetting only the Sabres (upset about that) and the Hurricanes (understandable). Baseball and football were a breeze because I know every division and who is in it, but I can't remember the divisions in others sports. I mean, who the hell cares about division in the NBA?

I tried the quiz and missed 8 teams. In the NHL, I forgot about Columbus. While in the MLB, I somehow both missed both Metro Los Angeles teams, which made me realize that there are too many teams in the state of California nowadays. Please eliminate three!

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

I tried the quiz and missed 8 teams. In the NHL, I forgot about Columbus. While in the MLB, I somehow both missed both Metro Los Angeles teams, which made me realize that there are too many teams in the state of California nowadays. Please eliminate three!

tumblr_inline_mjddy6jcUu1qiw26m.gif

Archived