Forgettable sports teams

FiddySicks

I remember once trying to name all the teams in the NFL when I was twelve or so, and the one I missed was the Houston Oilers. This was pre- Earl Campbell, when they sort of were not on the face of the earth.

It is what it is.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Golden State Warriors

- Buffalo Bills

- Minnesota Twins

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

I quizzed my friend on the teams in the NHL...He named all but 3: The Flames, Oilers, & Senators.

I was shocked that he still named that many, considering that the first hockey game he ever saw was one we went to back in November.

The Chicago White Sox have been pretty low-profile for a team three years removed from a World Series.

The Indiana Pacers have gone from regulars in the playoffs to an afterthought.

Growing up in Connecticut, the Whalers were always forgettable, until they started talking about leaving.

IndianapolisSpeedsters.png

I'm really surprised that nobody has said the New York Islanders. There are no Islander fans around here and they are televised, on the radio, and do get some coverage in the newspapers.

Isles fans are generally concentrated on Long Island. Their radio deal is awful (I can't find the station when I go back and visit, and it's low power so hard to pick up when you do find it) and they usually get bumped to a channel no one can find on cable when any of the other NY area teams are playing.

MLB:

-Tampa Bay

-Kansas City

-Texas

-Cincinnati

NHL:

-Chicago

-Atlanta

-Nashville

NFL:

-Jacksonville

-SF (even though I technically live in their market)

-Oakland (they get blacked out enough it's easy to forget them)

-Arizona

-Detroit

NBA:

-Washington

-Seattle

-Clippers

-Toronto

Not many people have mentioned the Sacramento Kings. Even though I know them, they play in the bottom of a high-profile division (Suns and Lakers, and also the Warriors). They didn't have any representatives at the All-Star Weekend, which means no high-profile first or second year players, in addition to no All-Stars. Nobody has been talking about Ron Artest (thankfully), and meanwhile, Kevin Martin is becoming a star and didn't even get consideration for Most Improved Player.

Green Bay Packers

Milwaukee Brewers

U of Wisconsin Badgers

Milwaukee Bucks

...says the man who likes Minnesota teams. The Packers have more wins in 16 games than the Timberwolves do in 56. And I don't even know how the Golden Gophers are doing, but I'm sure it's out of the top 25 (not that I'm a Badgers fan, and I think #9 is too high, but still, it's the principle of the rivalry; they also won Paul Bunyan's axe... again).

NFL:

Oakland Raiders

Buffalo Bills

Arizona Cardinals

St. Louis Rams

Kansas City Chiefs

Tennessee Titans

NBA:

Washington Wizards

Memphis Grizzlies

Minnesota Timberwolves

Miami Heat

Seattle SuperSonics

Charlotte Bobcats

New York Knicks

MLB:

Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Pittsburgh Pirates

Cincinnati Reds

Kansas City Royals

Texas Rangers

Minnesota Twins

Toronto Blue Jays

New York Mets

NHL:

Columbus Blue Jackets

Los Angeles Kings

Florida Panthers

New York Islanders

Toronto Maple Leafs

Buffalo Sabres

The Cleveland Cavaliers will be again after LeBron bolts for the New York Knicks or Brooklyn Nets

Talk about forgettable sports teams - The Golden State Warriors.

AARRRRRRGGGG, Make fun of my team, will ya?!?!? I'll show you!!! :D

LOL, I'm an Orlando fan so I cant talk.

Not many people have mentioned the Sacramento Kings. Even though I know them, they play in the bottom of a high-profile division (Suns and Lakers, and also the Warriors). They didn't have any representatives at the All-Star Weekend, which means no high-profile first or second year players, in addition to no All-Stars. Nobody has been talking about Ron Artest (thankfully), and meanwhile, Kevin Martin is becoming a star and didn't even get consideration for Most Improved Player.
Green Bay Packers

Milwaukee Brewers

U of Wisconsin Badgers

Milwaukee Bucks

...says the man who likes Minnesota teams. The Packers have more wins in 16 games than the Timberwolves do in 56. And I don't even know how the Golden Gophers are doing, but I'm sure it's out of the top 25 (not that I'm a Badgers fan, and I think #9 is too high, but still, it's the principle of the rivalry; they also won Paul Bunyan's axe... again).

I know I don't have a leg to stand on right now. Wisconsin owns us lately, but I like to forget about it.

minn.png

The KC Royals do still exist, right??? ^_^

(Okay, that was low...but that's one team I seriously keep forgetting about...)

...And by the way, which team between them and the Pittsburgh Pirates is the majors' best AAAA team???

(THERE'S a question to ponder...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• 1 year later...

Me and my buddies were trying to define which team in the 4 major sports is currently the Most Irrelevant.

Criteria for this is certainly subjective, but the team just has to not matter in the grand scheme of things. They're never talked about. They're never good, which means not making or going far in the playoffs. They're never truly horrible, which excludes teams like the Lions, Browns and Pirates, because they're at least the butt of jokes and are in the discussion for the Number 1 overall picks in their leagues. They never make big splashes in free agency or trades. No superstars. They're just kinda....there.

My nominees:

Buffalo Bills - Sadly, I'm a diehard. Playoff-less in this decade, only one top 5 overall pick which was blown on Mike Williams. No stars outside T.O, who will be gone after this year.

Cincinnati Reds - Only superstar player they've had in recently was Junior, and he couldn't stay on the field or make the team a contender. No playoffs since 1995, also no last-place finishes.

Florida Panthers - Only made playoffs 3 times in their 17 year existence, and none this decade. Traded away recent stars Luongo, Bouwmeester and Jokinen.

The NBA is the hardest. I would say the Milwaukee Bucks, but I think they're on their way to relevance with the arrival of Brandon Jennings.

Feel free to post your nominees!

Not a big NBA follower, but Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies probably qualify as irrelevant. I see they've actually made the play offs a few times in Memphis, but haven't won a playoff game. Their attendance looks like its actually worse down there than it was in Vancouver too.

Archived