What will or should be the name of the new MLS club in Philly?

roxfan00

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could someone tell me again why it is so bad to have [city name][nickname] as a soccer team's name?

Because that's a generally American concoction.

Soccer isn't.

Which is one of the reasons it's never really caught on here in the first place. Because American sports fans are dumb.

philly.png

Could someone tell me again why it is so bad to have [city name][nickname] as a soccer team's name?

Soccer isn't.

Which is one of the reasons it's never really caught on here in the first place. Because American sports fans are dumb.

The team is in America. The fans that they're hoping to draw are mostly American. I may be a dumb American sports fan, but I know a contrived identity when I see it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Depends on what the nickname is.

"Dallas FC" is inherently better than "Dallas Burn." "Tampa Bay Mutiny" is bad. So is "MetroStars," with or without a specified location.

For the city name, "New York/New Jersey" is just lousy.

Better a contrived identity than a bad one.

"Dallas FC" is inherently better than "Dallas Burn." "Tampa Bay Mutiny" is bad. So is "MetroStars," with or without a specified location.

IMO, a contrived identity is a bad one.

I agree that the names you posted suck, but at least it's the kind of suck that the younger generation of American's is unfortunately used to.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

ugh, i can't believe this has degenerated into another "american way is better...no the european way!" thread. oy vey.

I'm not saying that the American way is better, or that the Euro way is better. Just that if you are marketing something in America, why not use the American convention? If you are marketing it in Europe, then use the European convention.

I'm not trying to turn this into a mac vs. pc thing.

Assuming they can convince the owners of the Oakland A's to allow them to use the nickname, what exactly is the harm of Philly's new MLS team being called Philadelphia Athletic? It's not like baseball is moving a whole lot of Philadelphia Athletics items. How many people in Philadelphia have any recollections of Connie Mack's old team? They haven't been relevant since the early 30s and any memories of them would be bad ones.

Major League Baseball is not going to simply allow a member-franchise to sacrifice the trademark protection on a historical American League brand that does continue to generate revenue through the sale of throwback licensed products.

As for how many people in Philadelphia - and beyond - have any recollections of the Philadelphia Athletics, the Philadelphia Athletics Historical Society is one of the most active nostalgia-driven, sports-related fan groups in the world. The PAHS operates with the blessing of Major League Baseball. Why? Well, it may well have to do with the amount of officially-licensed Philadelphia Athletics throwback souvenir merchandise that the organization's website sells. It all adds-up to money in MLB's pocket.

Bottom line? Philly's new Major League Soccer team might - MIGHT - be able to get away with officially branding itself as strictly AC Philadelphia or Philadelphia AC... period, without ever stating what the AC stands for. However, they're never going to get the approval of MLB to utilize Philadelphia Athletic as a trademarked brand.

Soccer isn't.

Not necessarily... it's that the city/nickname format developed as the amatuer sports clubs in North America developed into franchises that were run by a league. The Toronto Argonauts were originally the Argonaut Football Club. The Green Bay Packers were originally the Indian Packers FC, and then the Acme Packers FC. The Oakland A's got their start as the Philadelphia Athletic Club. It just seems like they've always had their current names because they're retroactively referred to as such.

Conversely, if Inter Milan followed the North American format, they'd probably be the Milan Internationals. Real Madrid would probably be the Madrid Royals. I say if these teams want to sound European then use the North American version of what their "Euro" name would be.

Would like to see "AC Philadelphia 1776", but I know that won't happen.

So my proposal will stand as follows.

Name: ΠAE Αστερασ Φιλαδελφεια

Colors: Yellow/light blue, navy trim

Sponsor: Comcast, Pep Boys, Wawa, something along those lines.

Badge: Would be a yellow, regular five point star inscribed in a light blue circle, with a thin navy outline around the circle. "ΠAE Αστερασ" would be in white on the upper left, and "Φιλαδελφεια" in white on the upper right. "2010" would be in white on the bottom.

Kits:

Primary: Yellow shirt, light blue sleeves, navy numbers, light blue shorts, yellow socks.

Secondary: Light blue shirt, yellow sleeves, yellow numbers, yellow shorts, light blue socks.

Tertiary: White shirt, yellow sleeves, light blue numbers, white shorts, white socks.

Goalkeepers would wear a clash shirt but the same color pants and socks as the outfielders. Most of the time, that would be the light blue shirt if the team is in their primary kit, or the white shirt if they were in their light blue kit.

LvZYtbZ.png

Badge: Would be a yellow, regular five point star inscribed in a light blue circle, with a thin navy outline around the circle. "ΠAE Αστερασ" would be in white on the upper left, and "Φιλαδελφεια" in white on the upper right. "2010" would be in white on the bottom.

Kits:

Primary: Yellow shirt, light blue sleeves, navy numbers, light blue shorts, yellow socks.

Secondary: Light blue shirt, yellow sleeves, yellow numbers, yellow shorts, light blue socks.

Tertiary: White shirt, yellow sleeves, light blue numbers, white shorts, white socks.

Goalkeepers would wear a clash shirt but the same color pants and socks as the outfielders. Most of the time, that would be the light blue shirt if the team is in their primary kit, or the white shirt if they were in their light blue kit.

So is AC Philadelphia 1776 what you have as scribble in the name section?

Kits:

Nope. Different take entirely.

LvZYtbZ.png

Those aren't scribbles. It's Greek. In the Latin alphabet, that would be something like Asteras Philadelphia, or in English, Philadelphia Stars.

I know that the city's name is sort of Greek, but I don't see either a Greek name or especially the Greek alphabet as making much sense for Philly. Baltimore, maybe. But not Philly.

Then again, my favored name, Athletic, comes to us from Greek, so who am I to talk?

20082614447.png

Whatever Philadelphia's MLS side settles upon for a team name, it will have to be better than the latest rumors that have surfaced in Seattle. Word on the street is that one of these candidates...

Inter Seattle FC

Seattle Pacifica FC or Pacifica Seattle FC

Seattle Maremonte FC or Seattle Montemare FC

... is going to get the nod.

Frankly, given the source ( mlsrumors.blogspot.com ), I wouldn't bet the house on any of them being the real deal. Still, what a horror-show to even contemplate them as rumors.

I'm tired of MLS names that make no sense. Stop trying to be European for the sake of being European.

I agree with you and BBTV.

Why not something like...?

Philadelphia Veterans

Philadelphia Keys

Philadelphia Kites

Philadelphia Lightning

Philadelphia Franklins

Philadelphia Founding Fathers

OK, well all of those suck so nevermind.

Whatever Philadelphia's MLS side settles upon for a team name, it will have to be better than the latest rumors that have surfaced in Seattle. Word on the street is that one of these candidates...

Inter Seattle FC

Seattle Pacifica FC or Pacifica Seattle FC

Seattle Maremonte FC or Seattle Montemare FC

... is going to get the nod.

Frankly, given the source ( mlsrumors.blogspot.com ), I wouldn't bet the house on any of them being the real deal. Still, what a horror-show to even contemplate them as rumors.

Is it possible to revoke the franchise for bad identity ideas?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So how about Philadelphia 2010, as in the year the team will actually be established? The 1776 idea seems kinda hokey. Another idea is how about using the American derivative of FC or AC & use Philadelphia SC, as in "soccer club"? Too simple?

They ought to just name them either the NY MetroStars as the NY Giants and NY Jets do, OR call them the Meadowlands MetroStars... most people (sports fans) know where that is.

Archived