What will or should be the name of the new MLS club in Philly?

roxfan00

ta da! a reworking of the name, and it'll do:

AthleticoPhila08Present.png

Athletico? So Philly is in Spain now?

And if they go with anything related to "Athletic Club" or "AC" or anything like that I hope they plan on actually being an athletics club. (With membership and everything and multiple sports)

I'm tired of MLS names that make no sense. Stop trying to be European for the sake of being European.

*AHEM* I see someone didn't read the post too clearly - I said a tweak on the name, and it'd be good. Also, please note this is the club badge for BigBrain61's IFA club, Athletico Philadelphia. His name, not mine.

OD_Signature.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll take a crack at it...

Philadelphia 1776 -(Houston tried this before going to Dynamo, Philly might succeed where Houston did not)

Philadelphia Americana -(Euro sound with a more familiar flavor)

Philadelphia Locomotive -(Philly is home to many railway companies)

Philadelphia Liberty -("Bell" sounds too much like a telephone company)

and

Philadelphia Adelphixis -("The Brotherhood" in Greek)

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I've seen concepts, and I'm surprised it hasn't come up yet.

Before I saw a concept, it was still my idea for the Philly team in my fictional-universe "American Soccer League."

FC Liberty.

The Green & Cream, since the Mother Mint is in Phila too. And it's all about the Money (or the...Benjamins? Set myself up; I had to). And I think I also had them nicknamed Eagles too. Or Brothers.

That said, I like Philadelphia Athletic(s) also; Sons of Ben have won me over. And that Athletico badge is sweet. 1776, AC Phila, and a few others were good options too.

And one I almost didn't mention, a fictional hockey nick I used that might work here too.

The Philadelphia Fraters. Frater (FRAH-TAIR) is Latin for brother; if you pronounce it the American way tho, Freighter...think about it. Freight train....

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

...18, 19, 20?

Seattle SuperSounders

Black/NW Green/Light Silver/Metallic Blue

(Sonics+FC Seattle/Mariners)

Philadelphia SiXers

Vegas Gold/Light Blue

(Philadelphia KiXX inspired. Also known as "PhSX" or "PSX")

Miami/Tampa Fandex

Black/Red/Orange/Yellow

(will play @ new Marlins Stadium? maybe the Rays new sailboat?)

New Mexico Prairie Dogs (NMPD)

White/Red-Orange/Yellow/Green

(2012)

Does the MLS expand every year?

In 10 years theyve got the same amount of teams as the AFL has and the AFL's been around 110 years.

How do they support 16 teams so quickly? I mean, Soccer isn't a major sport in the US.

Quick history of MLS franchises:

1996 (10) - League starts with ten teams - Columbus, Colorado, Dallas, Kansas City, Los Angeles, New England, New York/New Jersey, San Jose, Tampa Bay, DC

1998 (12) - Two expansion teams - Chicago, Miami; NY/NJ changed to just MetroStars

2002 (10) - Two teams folded - Tampa Bay, Miami

2005 (12) - Two expansion teams - Chivas USA, Salt Lake

2006 (12) - San Jose moves to Houston

2007 (13) - One expansion team - Toronto

2008 (14) - One expansion team - San Jose

2009 (15) - One expansion team - Seattle

The talk has been 18 teams by 2010, then a "cooling off" of expansion. Originally, one of St. Louis or Philadelphia was likely to be added along with Seattle in 2009, but that is not necessarily the case. It is possible that anywhere from one to three teams could be added for 2010.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'm on the "don't do something European" bandwagon. None of those FC, -ico, Real, names mean anything to the city of Philadelphia. And if I know that city I can tell you it would become a source of comedic material if they did anything like that. Except perhaps to the die hard soccer fans, of which, and lets face it, there are not nearly as many of as there are people looking for a reason to complain about Philadelphia sports teams. (Of which, I am proudly one.)

Thinking logically about it they will have to come up with something that will inspire people to actually go to a game and care about the team. Calling them something with no real "oomph" is going to cause people to just turn their heads. Being from Philadelphia, I personally vouch that they should go entirely against the grain and make themselves stand out. No European style badges and shield logos. No dates and "football clubs" in the logo. Go at it the way they did when Snider brought the Flyers to town, something simple and symbolic of the name.

The fact that there is already the Philadelphia Kixx (gah) MISL team, they'll need to distance themselves from that ridiculous name. (Which shouldn't be too tough...)

I think there are enough liberty, independence teams. For once perhaps we can focus on another aspect of history if this is where the name has to come from.

if there weren't already so many Brigade teams, I would have suggested the Philadelphia Brigade, considering the story. Would be mighty cool with Philadelphia Zouaves, I've always been amazed no one has used that.

JerseyDatabase.com - I'm that guy...

Firstly... WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not one thing wrong with Philly.

But I'm done with the MLS.

I fully understand your pain, J, and honestly, I'd feel the same way if St. Louis would've gotten the nod over us. That said, I'd really like to see them get a team next (or move Chivas... I'm sorry, I know why there are two teams in L.A., but you're trying to grow the league... spread things out a bit).

Along the lines of "Athletic," I'll toss in a vote for them blatantly ripping off the name of the venerable IFA franchise, Athletico Philadelphia.

I think BigBrain61 would go for that. ^_^

I wouldn't have a problem with it, though I'd want royalties. ^_^

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, about "Athletico" and my fantasy team... um... I don't know why I happened upon that word, aside from being a Euro-mangling of "Atlético". I know it pisses gordie_delini off that I haven't changed it, but I think it rolls nicely. It's a fantasy team... I was trying to put my own twist on it.

That said, I'd be fully behind Philadelphia Athletic as a team name, though there has been a push to try and bring back the Philadelphia Atoms name. I like Athletic, though, and would be fully behind Brian G. submitting that logo for the team name (especially since the color is completely distinctive from just about every other team in MLS -- please, no red, white, and blue).

philly.png

First of all, Brian, your name has grown on me - there's a certain je-ne-cest-qua about the name that i've grown to love. As for the actual MLS club, I would make it Athletic Philadelphia - I think that has a better ring to it, and it'll distance itself a little more from the Philadelphia Athletics baseball club.

OD_Signature.jpg

how about a throwback to the Pennsylvania Stoners?

Actually, the Stoners are already back.

http://www.pennstoners.org/index.php

I know some don't like the European type names, but I would go for something like Independence 76 FC.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Yeah. Bell does sound like a phone company. But the bell-shaped patch has possibilities I think.

How about:

Philadelphia Philadelphians

Philadelphia Athletic Support

Philadelphia Fallen (Denzel Washington movie, set in Philadelphia...the OTHER one)

Philadelphia Turf Bullies

Philadelphia Genos

And of course

the Chester Molesters.

How about those...

Mets?

Packers?

Rangers?

Knicks?

Titans?

Owner of the New York Night Owls 1999 champions in the All World Football League.

While Philadelphia Athletic and Philadelphia Athletic Club are certainly drawing a great deal of support amongst members of the Sons of Ben supporters group, I question whether or not adoption of the name is realistic.

The Oakland A's have Philadelphia Athletics trademarked. Philadelphia Athletic and Philadelphia Athletic Club hew awfully close to that trademark. Simply because Oakland A's owner Lew Wolff also owns Major League Soccer's San Jose Earthquakes, there's no guarantee that he'd allow a Chester-based MLS franchise to infringe upon an historic baseball trademark already in his possession. In fact, I'm fairly certain that his MLB brethren would want him to protect the Philadelphia Athletics brand at all costs. Further, I believe Wolff would comply with MLB's wishes, as he owns a MLB franchise at his fellow owners' discretion.

Frankly, Philadelphia AC - rendered exactly that way - might be the closest option that MLS in Chester, Pennsylvania can hope for.

Archived