What will or should be the name of the new MLS club in Philly?

roxfan00

Philadelphia awarded 16th MLS franchise

The wait is finally over Philadelphia, Major League Soccer is coming to your city.

MLS has chosen Philadelphia to become the league's 16th franchise, sources told SBI on Wednesday night. The announcement is set for next Thursday.

Philadelphia beat out St. Louis for the right to join the league, helped in no small part by the state of Pennsylvania's decision to approve $47 million in state funding for a proposed $115 million stadium in Chester, Pa.

The Philadelphia team is slated to begin play in 2010.

So why Philadelphia instead of St. Louis? The St. Louis expansion drive slowed in recent months as efforts to attract big-money investors proved difficult while Philly's push for public stadium funding provided the final boost for the efforts.

Don't fret St. Louis, there is always being No. 17. The city's chances for eventually joining MLS look good and a city with as much soccer history and love for the sport as St. Louis will surely make its way into the league sooner rather than later.

As most SBI readers know, I have long considered Philadelphia as the ideal candidate for expansion. Not only because of the area's soccer history, but also for the rivalries that will be instantly created with D.C. United and the Red Bulls. The fact that fans of two established MLS teams will be able to drive two hours to an opposing team's stadium is invaluable for cultivating the sort of fan connection that will help MLS grow.

What do you think of this decision? Did you like Philly as a candidate? Are you upset St. Louis lost out? Was there another city you had in mind? Share your thoughts below.

source:Soccer By Ives

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Philly is a good decision for MLS. It is a large market that had been talked about for a while now, and with plans for a new soccer-specific stadium (partially funded by the state).

As for a name, it's probably going to go off the lines of the Euro trend.

In light of the MLS tradition of non-plural team names they should revive one of the classics from the old World Football League. That's right!

The Philadelphia Bell!

5889.gif

Might need to tweak it a bit but the colors are OK.

How about those...

Mets?

Packers?

Rangers?

Knicks?

Titans?

Owner of the New York Night Owls 1999 champions in the All World Football League.

There is a big movement amongst the Sons of Ben supporters to name the club The Philadelphia Athletic Club, or "Philadelphia Athletic" for short. There had been a previous Philadelphia Athletic Club, a merger between two suburban golf clubs, between 1911 and 1914. Also, there was a rowing team called Philadelphia Athletic Club, and a youth inner-city sports group of the same name.

Now, there was also this baseball team called "Philadelphia Athletics" that now plys its trade in Oakland. Whether there's going to be a hold-up over the naming remains to be seen.

A number of other names have cropped up such as:

Philadelphia Independence

AC Philadelphia

Olde City

Of course, there was also a discussion of using the name to conjure up Philadelphia disasters ....

Tire Fire Under 95 FC

Philadelphia 1964

AS Rizzo

Move FC

... and my personal favorite ...

Vfl Margolies-Mezvinsky (although she's from Montgomery County)

Philadelphia Freedom....

Eh, too World-Team-Tennisy.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Philadelphia Failure :P

So why Philadelphia instead of St. Louis? The St. Louis expansion drive slowed in recent months as efforts to attract big-money investors proved difficult while Philly's push for public stadium funding provided the final boost for the efforts.

Don't fret St. Louis, there is always being No. 17. The city's chances for eventually joining MLS look good and a city with as much soccer history and love for the sport as St. Louis will surely make its way into the league sooner rather than later.

I have a slight question about St. Louis. Stan Kroenke, who currently holds the rights of first refusal on buying majority control of the Rams. He also owns the Rapids. IIRC NFL bylaws prohibit a person from owning teams in a market outside of their team's. With that in mind....is there a chance he might move the Rapids to St. Louis rather than sell them?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

'Delaware River' - as in River Plate in Argentina - Chester (wheere the stadium will be) in on the river, and recognises a greater region than merely Philadelphia, perhaps encouraging support from Delaware itself and even New Jersey...

Not sure what Philly legislators would think about it though...

I have a slight question about St. Louis. Stan Kroenke, who currently holds the rights of first refusal on buying majority control of the Rams. He also owns the Rapids. IIRC NFL bylaws prohibit a person from owning teams in a market outside of their team's. With that in mind....is there a chance he might move the Rapids to St. Louis rather than sell them?

0% chance.

As for the name for philly

Independents

Independence

Athletics/Athletic

Metrostars...

I like the Founders name -- I once had a fantasy team I called the Mount Vernon Founders -- but it's not in keeping with the recent trend in MLS team names.

Philadelphia Athletic is the obvious choice, and I hope that's what they use. But Delaware River is intriguing. Probably too vague for them to use, but it really sticks with me as a distinctive choice.

20082614447.png

FC Philadelphia?

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Not one thing wrong with Philly.

But I'm done with the MLS.

When they put that team in STL, you can bet I'll support them, but until then, they can screw off.

St. Louis had the funding and stadium plans in place for months. The prospective ownership group wasn't led by a big hotshot, but he had more money than other ownership groups.

MLS kept coming up with BS excuses. They wanted Philly all along. They asked Cooper (the prospective ownership group leader) to find more investors. They were just stalling.

Again. Nothing against Philly. It even makes sense to have that market there. But St. Louis is a soccer hotbed. St. Louis was the biggest reason soccer never completely died out in the US. And St. Louis had their s*** together.

But we got used. And it's ridiculous.

So screw off MLS.

For the sake of the sport in America, I don't wish the league to fold or anything of the sort. But I won't support it anymore until they put a team where one belongs.

I don't know that it's legit to claim this anymore, but St. Louis isn't far removed from being the soccer capital of America, and the MLS found 16 other cities more deserving of a team.

Bull Spit.

Archived