What will or should be the name of the new MLS club in Philly?

roxfan00

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I support the name Philadelphia Liberty F.C. - the F.C. standing for football club is a soccer trademark and I like the sound of it.

I too am on the band wagon of, let's not try to do everything with a "European style", many of our decendents have come from Europe and other countries, but we are Americans and we have our own style.

The "F.C." label is good !!! Make no mistake. It's better than A.C. - IMO.

Philadelphia F.C. = BORING! But I'd like to see the "freedom/liberty/spirit of 76" theme in the name.

I also hope St. Louis gets their chance to have a team in 2010 - having read several stories from the St Louis and Kansas City Papers, the folks in the Arch-town have got their act together and are quality group. Do you hear me MLS???

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Fox Soccer Report last night said the team's likely name would be Philadelphia Independents or Independence, I couldn't really tell which they were saying.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Cheesesteaks

Yeah, that wasn't funny the first 15,000 times, either.

I think something with "Athletic" will win out, though if a number was going to be used, possibly 1681 (the year that the city was founded) instead?

philly.png

Fox Soccer Report last night said the team's likely name would be Philadelphia Independents or Independence, I couldn't really tell which they were saying.

That name is the safe bet, although I wouldn't be surprised if they throw some other letters into the mix just to make the brand sound more "soccer-ish".

I'd really hope that the kits for Philly are not Red, White, and Blue.

Assuming the team is something like Philadelphia Athletic, then the colors should be light blue and white. Thomas Eakins painted baseball players practicing in 1875, and they're wearing light blue and white. Those were the colors of the original Philadelphia Athletics baseball club.

Plus there's the city flag and the Phillies have made powder blue a Philly sports color.

It would be a good contrast for the rest of the East Coast's MLS teams as well.

20082614447.png

I'd really hope that the kits for Philly are not Red, White, and Blue.

Assuming the team is something like Philadelphia Athletic, then the colors should be light blue and white. Thomas Eakins painted baseball players practicing in 1875, and they're wearing light blue and white. Those were the colors of the original Philadelphia Athletics baseball club.

Plus there's the city flag and the Phillies have made powder blue a Philly sports color.

It would be a good contrast for the rest of the East Coast's MLS teams as well.

Light blue i can live with, just gotta change things up a bit and differentiate from the norm colors.

Assuming the team is something like Philadelphia Athletic...

Call me cynical, but unless the team is going to be officially - and generically - branded something like Philadelphia AC or AC Philadelphia, with the "Athletic" portion of the name simply being implied, I don't see this happening. I have to believe that Major League Baseball would put up an awfully big stink about a Major League Soccer franchise treading so close to the historical Philadelphia Athletics American League brand.

I know that some folks have argued that Oakland A's owner Lew Wolff will simply allow the MLS team to infringe upon the Philadelphia Athletics brand because he now owns the San Jose Earthquakes. That said, Wolff is a Major League Baseball franchise-holder because his fellow baseball owners signed-off on his purchasing the team. He remains an owner at their behest. Like any of those owners, he's not necessarily looking to agitate his fellow "stakeholders" in the entity that is MLB. If said "stakeholders" aren't inclined to stand by while a professional sports franchise brands itself as Philadelphia Athletic, I don't think Wolff will either.

Assuming they can convince the owners of the Oakland A's to allow them to use the nickname, what exactly is the harm of Philly's new MLS team being called Philadelphia Athletic? It's not like baseball is moving a whole lot of Philadelphia Athletics items. How many people in Philadelphia have any recollections of Connie Mack's old team? They haven't been relevant since the early 30s and any memories of them would be bad ones.

I say the new owners take a stance and do what it takes to name themselves by the cool name Philadelphia Athletic. If MLB has a problem with it, it'll only prove what an enormous ass Bud Selig already is.

Assuming they can convince the owners of the Oakland A's to allow them to use the nickname, what exactly is the harm of Philly's new MLS team being called Philadelphia Athletic? It's not like baseball is moving a whole lot of Philadelphia Athletics items. How many people in Philadelphia have any recollections of Connie Mack's old team? They haven't been relevant since the early 30s and any memories of them would be bad ones.

I say the new owners take a stance and do what it takes to name themselves by the cool name Philadelphia Athletic. If MLB has a problem with it, it'll only prove what an enormous ass Bud Selig already is.

Or the Athletic Club of Philadelphia -- AC Philadelphia, to draw in Italians from Souf Filly. But then, they'd go for the black and red stripes ....

Could someone tell me again why it is so bad to have [city name][nickname] as a soccer team's name?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived