Favre to Retire

Sterling84

What was it like to sit in that ice box?

On TV it looked as if it effected Favre, and I think that led to his retirement more then anything else.

If you're properly dressed, it's not that bad. I know my toes will get cold, even though I'm wearing a good pair of boots, cotton socks, wool socks, and I have an inch and a half piece of styrofoam that I stand on. You end up looking sort of like this:

PaulSaraNFC_Champ.jpg

Priceless.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard he could not handle the pressure of trying to be a SB Champion again and constantly falling short. Thats the main reason he called it quits. At least he retired healthy, with a fantastic legacy and at least he's got one ring.

he was like a savior to the team (24-40 with Majkowski and Tomczak as QB; 38-26 the first four years since Favre started)

I began watching the Packers from 1984, when I first moved to Wisconsin. Man, was a disgrace the Packers were in the 80s. People think Brett throws interceptions, they obviously don't remember Randy Wright. Majikowski was a one year wonder. Lynn Dickey was okay and had a couple good receivers to throw to (Jefferson and Lofton), but nothing else. The rest was an endless string of forgettable quarterbacks I don't even remember....

Those were some bad, bad teams.

I worry that those horrible days may return. It took us 30 years to get back after Lombardi left; I pray it won't be that long again.

Nobody seems to think too highly of Aaron Rodgers. I don't really know why. I mean, we haven't seen much from him, and what we have seen has been good, like the Dallas game. I've seen words used in articles today like "functional quarterback," "reasonably accurate," "decent command." People speculating whether the Packers should grab a QB early in the Draft. Rodgers is a first round pick. At one point not too long before the Draft, he was a potential top-5 pick. He fell far, but he was still a first round talent. We haven't seen anything to prove that he can't be a very good quarterback in this league, like you'd expect a first round QB to be. Chances are he will not be another Brett Favre, but until he shows that he can't hang, I'm going to assume he's going to perform like a first round QB with a few years experience learning the position from an NFL perspective.

I don't think Rodgers will suck... I actually think he'll be pretty good. I just question how long he can hang playing full time when all he's done so far is play behind the most durable QB in NFL history and STILL managed to have 2 major injuries. I can see him leading the Packers to a 5-0 start, then getting injured, forcing the Packers to have revolving door QB's for the rest of the season and missing the playoffs.

I hope I'm wrong... but something like that seems way too likely given what I know about A-Rod...

Nobody seems to think too highly of Aaron Rodgers. I don't really know why. I mean, we haven't seen much from him, and what we have seen has been good, like the Dallas game. I've seen words used in articles today like "functional quarterback," "reasonably accurate," "decent command." People speculating whether the Packers should grab a QB early in the Draft. Rodgers is a first round pick. At one point not too long before the Draft, he was a potential top-5 pick. He fell far, but he was still a first round talent. We haven't seen anything to prove that he can't be a very good quarterback in this league, like you'd expect a first round QB to be. Chances are he will not be another Brett Favre, but until he shows that he can't hang, I'm going to assume he's going to perform like a first round QB with a few years experience learning the position from an NFL perspective.

I don't think Rodgers will suck... I actually think he'll be pretty good. I just question how long he can hang playing full time when all he's done so far is play behind the most durable QB in NFL history and STILL managed to have 2 major injuries. I can see him leading the Packers to a 5-0 start, then getting injured, forcing the Packers to have revolving door QB's for the rest of the season and missing the playoffs.

I hope I'm wrong... but something like that seems way too likely given what I know about A-Rod...

Ditto. My fears exactly. I dont' worry about Rodgers game per say. But the fans will have little patience for an oft hurt QB after all this time. I fear that, more than anything, may submarine A-Rods time here.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Ditto. My fears exactly. I dont' worry about Rodgers game per say. But the fans will have little patience for an oft hurt QB after all this time. I fear that, more than anything, may submarine A-Rods time here.

Is that allowed? Plus, I thought the first-letter-first-consonant-sound-grouping nickname fad was over.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Especially when two others already have that same nickname (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick, for those not paying attention).

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is time to rejoice. Hopefully it is real this time. I think it is crazy that one super bowl win makes you the greatest QB of all time.

Typical Chicago response. :P

Many people consider Dan Marino to be the best QB ever and he never won a Super Bowl- maybe it was because he owned pretty much every major passing record until Brett passed him...so that could be why some people say he is the best ever, that cobined with his longevity/streak. Besides so far all posts have been he was their favorite QB, not necessarily the best, and it is easy to see why. No other player played with the passion, charisma, and childlike love of the game like Brett Favre. That is the real reason why people love Brett Favre. I'm willing to conceed he may not be the best QB of all time- but he was definitely the most entertaining and fun to watch. All good things must come to an end, and that includes Brett's career...and at least our starting QB is going to be better than the Bears'. ^_^

This is surprising to hear anyone cheer Brett Favre's retirement. I've had two Bears fans at work say they'll miss him because it made the Bears/Packers rivalry that much more fun to watch. They all respected him. I don't know anyone who can hate the man. In this day and age of money hungry jerks in sports, to have a superstar who played because he loved to play was a breath of fresh air. The fact is, if you didn't at least respect Brett Favre you're probably the type of person who wants more money hungry, me-first, over the top antics out of their athletes. Those people have their place...just to me that place is a garbage can =).

That being said, to me Brett Favre and Dan Marino are everything you'd ever want out of your quarterback. Super Bowl titles are something a team gets. I could get lucky and get traded to the eventual Super Bowl Champion every year while riding the bench and never playing...and I could collect my rings. If that happened, I'd have more rings than Favre or Marino. Would you say I was better than them? No I think not. Did Marino ever have the team around him that Brady has? Definately not. Did Favre? One season...1996. Favre definately had better teams than Marino did. Either way, both are all-time greats in my eyes. It's sad both of their careers ended on interceptions. At least I can say I watched Brett's last game live.

Favre to me was the epitomy of heart and effort. I enjoyed watching every minute of his games. He's a first-ballot Hall of Famer and he deserves it. Thanks for the memories Brett. There will be none like you ever again...and now nobody will ever wear #4 in Wisconsin pro sports again (Molitor and Moncrief had #4 retired for the Brewers & Bucks).

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

What was it like to sit in that ice box?

On TV it looked as if it effected Favre, and I think that led to his retirement more then anything else.

If you're properly dressed, it's not that bad. I know my toes will get cold, even though I'm wearing a good pair of boots, cotton socks, wool socks, and I have an inch and a half piece of styrofoam that I stand on. You end up looking sort of like this:

PaulSaraNFC_Champ.jpg

Priceless.

I probably should have hit you up before I went to the game. Whoops!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Is that allowed? Plus, I thought the first-letter-first-consonant-sound-grouping nickname fad was over.

I saw someone else do it upthread. Just following the crowd I guess.

That fad probably should curl up and die but........that's his name. I dunno. Whatever.

It's pretty lame. I'll admit.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I know this is nothing new...but what could've been...

In the 1991 draft, Jets general manager Dick Steinberg, backed up by then-assistant Ron Wolf, had a trade in place with the then Phoenix Cardinals to leapfrog over Atlanta from the seventh pick of the second round to the fifth with the intention of selecting Favre.

"But when it came time for the Cardinals' pick, they told us the guy they wanted was on the board, so they didn't do the deal," Wolf recalled. "They picked their guy [DE Mike Jones], the Falcons picked Brett Favre, and that was it." The Jets selected Browning Nagle.

Then Wolf became Green Bay's GM and traded with the Falcons for Favre. The rest is history.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/posts/447-...its-jet-moments

So we got Browning Nagle instead...

Now, of course, knowing this franchise, they draft Favre and he sucks, and Browning Nagle is a hall-of-famer...

But whatever...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

According to wikipedia, this is Nagle's lasting legacy:

"His tenure with the Jets was defined by his unshakable habit of rifling screen passes and dump-offs as hard as he could."

I know this is nothing new...but what could've been...
In the 1991 draft, Jets general manager Dick Steinberg, backed up by then-assistant Ron Wolf, had a trade in place with the then Phoenix Cardinals to leapfrog over Atlanta from the seventh pick of the second round to the fifth with the intention of selecting Favre.

"But when it came time for the Cardinals' pick, they told us the guy they wanted was on the board, so they didn't do the deal," Wolf recalled. "They picked their guy [DE Mike Jones], the Falcons picked Brett Favre, and that was it." The Jets selected Browning Nagle.

Then Wolf became Green Bay's GM and traded with the Falcons for Favre. The rest is history.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/posts/447-...its-jet-moments

So we got Browning Nagle instead...

Now, of course, knowing this franchise, they draft Favre and he sucks, and Browning Nagle is a hall-of-famer...

But whatever...

To be fair, Favre damn near partied himself out of the league in Atlanta... he probably would've lasted a month in New York.

At least with Green Bay, there was no nightlife, culture or civilization to distract him from playing football :D

To be fair, Favre damn near partied himself out of the league in Atlanta... he probably would've lasted a month in New York.

At least with Green Bay, there was no nightlife, culture or civilization to distract him from playing football :D

But thank sweet big baby Jesus there was plenty of Vicodin.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Man, is ESPN one big story vulture or what? I mean, the guy retires and immediately we have to listen to every ESPN personality dissect his place in history. It's not enough to just cover sports for them anymore. They feel like they are the historical authority on everything sports. One guy says Favre might be top 3 all time, the next guy has to disagree based on company policy it seems. All we've had the last few days is people arguing for or against his place in history. That's all ESPN has become. Guys yelling about sports or writing persuasive essays on the website. By trying to force their perspectives, they're actually giving none at all. It's just white noise.

I can't put into words what the career of Brett meant and still means to me. I have so many memories and thoughts swimming through my mind, the miracles and the mistakes. I had the privledge of meeting him and getting his autograph, so yeah the retirement kinda hits home to me. I also got to see him play at Lambeau once, the first game back after the Super Bowl victory, and the place was electric. So yeah, I guess this hits me a lil harder than maybe it should. As much as I hate to say it, this time it's for real. So with that I am happy to be a, football fan, a Packers fan, a Brett Favre fan, and am glad that I got to witness a ton of greatness.

Thanks for the memories, the meeting, the autograph. I'll mis ya on Sundays.

packchampionslfroh.png

But thank sweet big baby Jesus there was plenty of Vicodin.

You have to do something to get through winter in Green Bay.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Man, is ESPN one big story vulture or what? I mean, the guy retires and immediately we have to listen to every ESPN personality dissect his place in history. It's not enough to just cover sports for them anymore. They feel like they are the historical authority on everything sports. One guy says Favre might be top 3 all time, the next guy has to disagree based on company policy it seems. All we've had the last few days is people arguing for or against his place in history. That's all ESPN has become. Guys yelling about sports or writing persuasive essays on the website. By trying to force their perspectives, they're actually giving none at all. It's just white noise.

That's why I've tried to avoid ESPN for the past few days, because I predicted that the day Brett Favre retired, ESPN would basically turn into ESPN: A Brett Favre retrospective.

But the good thing that came form this was Frank Caliendo's Madden impression on the career of Favre. "I mean, the guy won 12 or 14 Super Bowls...ehhhh, what are we gonna do? They're gonna have to change the name of the league, it's not the National Favre League anymore." :lol:

Archived