Favre to Retire

Sterling84

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's really lame that whenever people encounter criticism of something they like, they immediately label those that criticize as "haters." It's immature and a silly way to delegitimize those who disagree with you.

No, it's like you going to a memorial service and hurling insults at the deceased. The trend of the thread was toward honoring Favre and his career. The article said he had one of the most storied careers, and I figured we would talk about that without other people (the so-called haters) saying "It's about time," "What an overrated athlete," etc. It upsets the mood of the thread and has no place in here, especially within an intelligent discussion.

Dissenting opinion has no place in an intelligent discussion? That must be nice. I forgot which one I take again to get to where you are. Is it the red pill or the blue one?

We've already established that here on the boards, people are going to post even if they disagree. How you express that makes a big difference. If someone had just posted ":censored: him" then I could see where you could say that. But if someone has a thought-out response to what you believe in your mind to be true, you can't simply dismiss it as non-intelligent. If you don't like people saying that what they believe isn't the same as what you believe, perhaps you should keep your opinions to yourself. Or start a Favre Lovers board. Here, I will even give you a name for it:

Brett

You are

Excellent

I showed a report to a classmate, I kid you not, he was shocked & said to me, I need to leave. I told him to take deep breaths. I knew it was gonna happen. I had that feeling after losing the NFC game, he had that look in his eye that said "it's time to hang it up" he did everything. Broke records, won the Super Bowl, MVP. There's nothing left. He will be missed though.

baltimoreravens.png

Watch him pull a Jerry Rice. Fast forward to the eve of training camp:

FAVRE SIGNS WITH RAIDERS

July 2009:

IT'S OFFICIAL: FAVRE A DOLPHIN

June 2010:

FAVRE: DETROIT IS MY LAST STOP

February 2012

PANTHERS SAY FAVRE IS 'LAST PIECE OF THE PUZZLE'

And so on.

They'll be able to do a remake of Everybody's All-American. The part where the Grey Ghost tries his comeback with the Broncos is just painful to watch. Cool music though. B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

My thing with Favre is that the guy was occasionally outspoken, and had a period where he was dealing with addiction(s). I certainly don't hold either of those two things against anyone (infact I admire people who can beat addictions) but it seems like most if not all other athletes would be vilified and torn apart by the media if it happened to them, but we were all made to feel sorry for and root for Favre. The guy could have killed someone, and we'd have been told about how brave he was to do it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I bet the Packers will play the Thursday NFL Kickoff '08 game on NBC with Madden & Michaels so they can have a huge Brett Favre retirement ceremony at half time (he deserves it though).

Possible opponents: Bears, Cowboys, Falcons, Panthers, Colts

I bet the Packers will play the Thursday NFL Kickoff '08 game on NBC with Madden & Michaels so they can have a huge Brett Favre retirement ceremony at half time (he deserves it though).

Possible opponents: Bears, Cowboys, Falcons, Panthers, Colts

Why not against the Vikings or Lions? Are they not worthy? :P

Watch him pull a Jerry Rice. Fast forward to the eve of training camp:

FAVRE SIGNS WITH RAIDERS

July 2009:

IT'S OFFICIAL: FAVRE A DOLPHIN

June 2010:

FAVRE: DETROIT IS MY LAST STOP

February 2012

PANTHERS SAY FAVRE IS 'LAST PIECE OF THE PUZZLE'

And so on.

They'll be able to do a remake of Everybody's All-American. The part where the Grey Ghost tries his comeback with the Broncos is just painful to watch. Cool music though. B)

Given that the rumors here are he "wanted" to play but the team didn't want HIM enough to go get Moss (what?) I've actually had some fearful visions today of just that sort of thing happening. Maybe someone on a good team....Romo etc...gets hurt in week 10-11 and the rumors about ole #4 begin to build.

Can you imagine Brett leading Dallas INTO Lambeau? How weird would that be.

I don't think it's likely. But given his back and forth nature the past 4 years. Don't do it man. Stay mowing your lawn.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Gotta love the idiot Chicago fans who wouldn't know a good quaterback if... well just wouldn't know a good quarterback at all since they've never had one. Go away FIBs.

Favre > you. End of story. G.O.A.T.

You see, GottaDeal, that's the kind of argument that just bothers people. Sterling84 made an impassioned post about how he appreciates Favre as a player and a person. He enjoyed watching the man make exciting plays and is sad to see him retire. I get that. But doucbehag "You suck, the guy I like rules" posts don't convince anyone. You're new here, and you should know that that kind of low brow sports talk radio boasting won't get you very far.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Sterling's said everything, pretty much. It was inevitable, but I'm still gonna miss him. Basically, come September, Favre's gumbo's gonna be missing from the Packers' table...time will tell if Aaron Rodgers' plate has anything as good on it. It aint gotta be gumbo, it just has to be good.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Brett's last pass may have been a pick (at the worst possible time, no less), but with his overall season and the records he's broken, not to mention all the hard times he's had personally in the last few years, he can still say he ended his career on a high note.

Farewell and thanks for all the memories, Brett. See you in Canton in 2013.

CCSLC signature.png

Nobody seems to think too highly of Aaron Rodgers. I don't really know why. I mean, we haven't seen much from him, and what we have seen has been good, like the Dallas game. I've seen words used in articles today like "functional quarterback," "reasonably accurate," "decent command." People speculating whether the Packers should grab a QB early in the Draft. Rodgers is a first round pick. At one point not too long before the Draft, he was a potential top-5 pick. He fell far, but he was still a first round talent. We haven't seen anything to prove that he can't be a very good quarterback in this league, like you'd expect a first round QB to be. Chances are he will not be another Brett Favre, but until he shows that he can't hang, I'm going to assume he's going to perform like a first round QB with a few years experience learning the position from an NFL perspective.

My thing with Favre is that the guy was occasionally outspoken, and had a period where he was dealing with addiction(s). I certainly don't hold either of those two things against anyone (infact I admire people who can beat addictions) but it seems like most if not all other athletes would be vilified and torn apart by the media if it happened to them, but we were all made to feel sorry for and root for Favre. The guy could have killed someone, and we'd have been told about how brave he was to do it.

Wow.

I don't know about his being the greatest of all time(my money's on Marino), but he certainly was the most fearless QB ever. It seems like almost every time I watched him, he did something uncanny. Be it bad or good, he played with pinache, and that's what I liked most about him.

Sigs are for sissies.

I was there at the beginning. I was there at the end. Next year will seem very different at Lambeau.

firstandlast.jpg

Aaron Rodgers consecutive games streak = 2. The last two games he's seen significant playing time, he got injured and wouldn't have been able to play in the next game.

It's where I sit.

A Milwaukee radio station put things this way:

The bad news is Brett Favre retired today. The good news is the Packers have the best quarterback in the division.

The Pack will likely pick up another QB for the simple reason that Nall is the only other guy with experience and they've dumped him before. Rodgers hasn't always been healthy, but he does a decent job when in the game and he does play through pain. I'm not convinced that he'll suck like most people think.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

What was it like to sit in that ice box?

On TV it looked as if it effected Favre, and I think that led to his retirement more then anything else.

If you're properly dressed, it's not that bad. I know my toes will get cold, even though I'm wearing a good pair of boots, cotton socks, wool socks, and I have an inch and a half piece of styrofoam that I stand on. You end up looking sort of like this:

PaulSaraNFC_Champ.jpg

It's where I sit.

Archived