Favre to Retire

Sterling84

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Brett Farve doesn't throw Hail Marys, Brett Farve throws Hail Bretts."

Don't remember where I heard that...but I always liked it. Brett was one of the few reasons I watched the NFL (1 of the very few that had to do with the game itself) It's a shame he couldn't have played in the Superbowl, but a great season to finish off his career on.

At least I got to see him play in Kansas City a few months ago. He is by far my favorite quarterback of all time and I'm going to miss seeing him play.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is time to rejoice. Hopefully it is real this time. I think it is crazy that one super bowl win makes you the greatest QB of all time.

MildlyPsycho.png

Realsig.png

If this is truly it (you never know with this guy), he was a great quarterback, but one of the two most overrated of all time as well (along with Joe Namath).

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is time to rejoice. Hopefully it is real this time. I think it is crazy that one super bowl win makes you the greatest QB of all time.

Typical Chicago response. :P

Many people consider Dan Marino to be the best QB ever and he never won a Super Bowl- maybe it was because he owned pretty much every major passing record until Brett passed him...so that could be why some people say he is the best ever, that cobined with his longevity/streak. Besides so far all posts have been he was their favorite QB, not necessarily the best, and it is easy to see why. No other player played with the passion, charisma, and childlike love of the game like Brett Favre. That is the real reason why people love Brett Favre. I'm willing to conceed he may not be the best QB of all time- but he was definitely the most entertaining and fun to watch. All good things must come to an end, and that includes Brett's career...and at least our starting QB is going to be better than the Bears'. ^_^

brewerssig.jpg

This is the only appropriate action after he blew it in the NFC Championship game. Favre has been torpedoing his team's chances for years now. That Super Bowl win was pretty good, but it only makes the Packers as good in the past twenty years as the Baltimore Ravens, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and New York Giants.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Wow, listen to all of the Favre haters express their jealousy. The Packers have had a great quarterback for many years, and we have a heck of a decent record to attest for it. He retires with all of the major passing records, and as for the interceptions record, Grossman would probably have that by now if he could even hold onto a job.

Considering how many quarterbacks have come and gone since Favre started his streak, it's spectacular. And DG, winning multiple Super Bowls is NOT a measure of QB success, just of team success. Considering there is only one winner every year, that means some teams win them and some do not. Favre never was surrounded by play-makers; he took average receivers and made them decent (see Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman... basically everyone from Super Bowl XXXI).

So the Packers never stacked the deck to make a run at the title for one year, like a lot of teams in sports (2004 Lakers, 2007-08 Celtics, the first Marlins World Series). So winning multiple Super Bowls is hardly a measure of success. Instead, they've had a consistently good team for 17 years (one fluke, 2005 season).

He's one of those players that when I'm 70 years old I'll regret never seeing him play in person.

My sentiments exactly, and I only saw him once in Pre-season. My only pilgrimmage to Lambeau, and he made it a great one.

Wow, listen to all of the Favre haters express their jealousy. The Packers have had a great quarterback for many years, and we have a heck of a decent record to attest for it. He retires with all of the major passing records, and as for the interceptions record, Grossman would probably have that by now if he could even hold onto a job.

Considering how many quarterbacks have come and gone since Favre started his streak, it's spectacular. And DG, winning multiple Super Bowls is NOT a measure of QB success, just of team success. Considering there is only one winner every year, that means some teams win them and some do not. Favre never was surrounded by play-makers; he took average receivers and made them decent (see Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman... basically everyone from Super Bowl XXXI).

So the Packers never stacked the deck to make a run at the title for one year, like a lot of teams in sports (2004 Lakers, 2007-08 Celtics, the first Marlins World Series). So winning multiple Super Bowls is hardly a measure of success. Instead, they've had a consistently good team for 17 years (one fluke, 2005 season).

He's one of those players that when I'm 70 years old I'll regret never seeing him play in person.

My sentiments exactly, and I only saw him once in Pre-season. My only pilgrimmage to Lambeau, and he made it a great one.

Although your Grossman comment was true, I don't think many of the Farve haters thusfar have been Bear fans. Most of us that I know think very highly of Brett and respect him. We only hate him for the uniform he wears.

I may not be a Packers fan (at least not a die-hard fan), but there's no debating he was at least one of the greatest ever. The fact that he could take such a beating for his entire career and go that long without missing a game, all while breaking just about every record and winning a Super Bowl, plus, not to mention what he did this season, this late in his career, with a lot of players no one really even knew anything about.

Hate on him all you want. It shows how great he was by hating the guy that beat your team all the time. The only quarterback out there today that rivals him is Peyton Manning, who may very well pass him someday, as a true quarterback. Tom Brady is a damn pretty boy who doesn't think he should be hit and plays like he's trying to avoid getting hurt. Because he dates models and acts like one himself, they've made him a celebrity. Yes, he is a talented QB, but he doesn't play with the toughness and "doing whatever it takes to get your team a W" and "on-field coach" like Favre and Manning do.

So sit back. Think for a moment. And reflect upon the end of one of the greatest careers in the history of professional sports (and you can fool yourself all you want, but there's no denying it's true).

So Long, Brett.

And Thanks.

It's really lame that whenever people encounter criticism of something they like, they immediately label those that criticize as "haters." It's immature and a silly way to delegitimize those who disagree with you.

Anyway, there's no denying that Favre had some great years. He holds almost all of the passing records that matter, doesn't he? My main problem with Favre -- and I hardly stay up late at night "hating" on the guy -- is that he had an uncanny tendency to kill his team over and over again. After the 96 and 97 Super Bowl years, it seemed like Favre was always just good enough to stab his team and his fanbase in the heart with stupid interception after stupid interception.

Any other player would be raked over the coals for performances like that. And really, several have. But for some reason, Favre is the golden boy and I never quite got that.

Overall though, his retirement is the NFL's loss. He never got into trouble, he sold a lot of jerseys, and he energized a small market team. That's pretty good. But top five quarterback of all time? I don't know. I would rather have Elway, Montana, Brady, Peyton Manning, or, I don't know...Terry Bradshaw.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Tom Brady is a damn pretty boy who doesn't think he should be hit and plays like he's trying to avoid getting hurt.

:blink:

Have you ever watched a Patriots game? Brady often times will hold onto it for the last possible second, knowing a hit is coming, if he thinks someone will get into slightly better position.

He takes a :censored:ing BEATING most games, and when he doesn't, it's not because he's "playing like he's avoiding to get hurt", it's because the offensive line does their job.

Seriously, there are reasons why people could hate on Brady(his media exposure, the way sportscasters and ESPN talk about him, the way he played the last two playoff games this season, the jersey he wears), but his toughness really isn't one of them.

There is no one out there today who makes better decisions or is more consistant.

Although your Grossman comment was true, I don't think many of the Farve haters thusfar have been Bear fans. Most of us that I know think very highly of Brett and respect him. We only hate him for the uniform he wears.

That was only for Erik121, and about everyone at the school I go to in Kenosha. You'd think they didn't even know they were in Wisconsin, what, with all their Bears propaganda.

I'm sure the Falcons also hate him for the uniform he wears, since they traded him anyway. (And Vick for the orange uniform he now wears.)

Archived