NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

Last night was scheduled to be one of the centennial jersey nights for the Canadiens. They were scheduled to wear t he 1912/1913 (barberpole) jerseys. However, Bob Gainey decided in the afternoon that none of his teams will wear that type of jersey, so they scrapped the idea. Instead, the Canadiens came out with their 1915/1916 (CA) jerseys.

Thought it was an interesting tidbit. Also its too bad that the barberpoles were only worn for one game (Rather than the scheduled 2). I am thinking about getting one regardless. Hopefully it goes on sale, now that it is used only one time.

I bet the marketing people, as well as the team store and other retailers want to clobber Gainey for that decision. Personally, I liked the fact it was a jersey from their past being worn as a throwback. I appreciate the history behind it, while too many people seem to be ignoring that aspect of it.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For some reason the 2nd game of the Flyers/Maple Leafs home-and-home is reversed too....Flyers in white at home...

Well, when you take into account the 3rd period comeback against Carolina and the 1st period explosion last night, I'm thinking they should wear white at home more often. ^_^

I'm kinda surprised the Leafs didn't wear their white alternates at home when the Flyers were wearing orange. Maybe they used up of the games they were allotted for alternates?

For some reason the 2nd game of the Flyers/Maple Leafs home-and-home is reversed too....Flyers in white at home...

Well, when you take into account the 3rd period comeback against Carolina and the 1st period explosion last night, I'm thinking they should wear white at home more often. ^_^

I'm kinda surprised the Leafs didn't wear their white alternates at home when the Flyers were wearing orange. Maybe they used up of the games they were allotted for alternates?

I think they use the white alternates mostly against Original Six teams.

Oh, and before I forget, remember that all white mask Niittymaki had to switch to when his regular mask was damaged that game against the Habs? Well, he handed one over to a guy in PA (who has also done masks for Garth Snow, Jeff Hackett, Martin Houle, and Scott Munroe), got it painted, and debuted a new mask against the Bruins on the 29th with the orange jerseys. Notice the ventilation holes as bullet holes.

http://thegoalieguild.com/2009/03/29/niittymakinewmask/

http://www.the700level.com/2009/03/nittys-new-face.html

niittymask01.jpg

25587505.th.jpg

97789113.th.jpg

Also notice the Nike Bauer logo on the forehead. Probably an Itech helmet rebranded now that Mission-Itech is under Bauer. And one more thing: This mask uses a new kind of backplate strap system so the backplate is free to put more stuff on it, like the Finnish lion Nitty has on his.

i love that ray emery was told not to have mike tyson painted on his mask, because he's a bad person... but no one cares about frank nitti.

IIRC, I believe that was Muckler's mandate as General Manager, wasnt a league issue...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Archived