NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

If Philly keeps the orange for next year, what will they do with the white one?

Will they create a white one which matches the new orange one, or will they create an orange one which resembles the current white (and black)?

I would prefer a set that more closely matches their pre-Edge set, so kind of like the current orange alt but with wider white on the sleeves (so that the number doesn't overlap) and black trim around the white.

If they're not going that route, I'd vote for a white version of the alt, as I can't stand that the sleeve coloring on their current design (orange on the white, white on the black) stops above the elbow, so it ruins the effect of having colored sleeves at all. Also, the pattern makes them look like they're wearing "little black dresses" at home. Also, there is too much white on the whites - that white elbow coloring needs to go.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting thing I've noticed on all the jerseys of the Ducks that came over on the trade deadline or who changed their number recently

The Ducks enlarged the logo on the jersey this season.

Well on all the Ducks that came over on the trade deadline (Wisniewski, Christensen, Nokelainen) and who recently changed their number (Bobby Ryan went from #54 to #9) they are using the jerseys with the small logos from last year.

Christensen and Wisnewski with small logo:

Ab85328070.jpg

Teemu Selanne in normal jersey

Player3.gif

Bobby Ryan was allowed to change numbers mid season? And take Kariya's old number?

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

If Philly keeps the orange for next year, what will they do with the white one?

Will they create a white one which matches the new orange one, or will they create an orange one which resembles the current white (and black)?

I would prefer a set that more closely matches their pre-Edge set, so kind of like the current orange alt but with wider white on the sleeves (so that the number doesn't overlap) and black trim around the white.

If they're not going that route, I'd vote for a white version of the alt, as I can't stand that the sleeve coloring on their current design (orange on the white, white on the black) stops above the elbow, so it ruins the effect of having colored sleeves at all. Also, the pattern makes them look like they're wearing "little black dresses" at home. Also, there is too much white on the whites - that white elbow coloring needs to go.

The elbow coloring is orange on the black jersey; I wonder if that was brought in as some kind of compromise to appease people who were clamoring for more orange in the jersey? The edge design has always looked rather awkward to me.

I'm a fan of the new orange third (see avatar) so it wouldn't bother me at all if they simply made a reverse of that one. Of course, I'm not entirely adverse to the one the Flyers wore during the 80s and 90s either; I have an orange one and it'd be nice to see that one again too.

I think that if they tried to modernize the retro template a little, they would be the perfect unis. I absolutely hate the current home and away template. IMO they are in the top 3 of the worst EDGE templates.

Philly should not go retro full-time. I don't care that the Isles will but I really like Philly's home and road template.

Na,the retro thirds they have are the best in the league. Those should be the full time jerseys.

9161.png1116.png11286.png2115.png

Interesting thing I've noticed on all the jerseys of the Ducks that came over on the trade deadline or who changed their number recently

The Ducks enlarged the logo on the jersey this season.

Well on all the Ducks that came over on the trade deadline (Wisniewski, Christensen, Nokelainen) and who recently changed their number (Bobby Ryan went from #54 to #9) they are using the jerseys with the small logos from last year.

Christensen and Wisnewski with small logo:

Ab85328070.jpg

Teemu Selanne in normal jersey

Player3.gif

Bobby Ryan was allowed to change numbers mid season? And take Kariya's old number?

-Dan

Yep. Much to the delight of many Ducks fans actually. Kariya had left Anaheim very uncermoniously after the Mighty Ducks miracle run to Game 7 of the Finals in 03.

The Ducks organization gives rookies high numbers when they get called up initially. they have to "earn" the low numbers. Bobby Ryan had worn 9 all of his career until he reached the Ducks AHL team (then in Portland). But one Ducks prospect, Brendan Mikkelson, was already wearing 9. So he wore 27 (2+7=9). When he was called up, he wore 54. Scott Niedermayer is 27. Mikkelson is wearing 63. So after earning a spot with the team for good now, he was given the 9. Apparently there was a lot of internal discussion within the oeganization about it. He was also allowed to change it at the trade deadline because the Ducks had aquired Erik Christensen who wore 9 in Atlanta. They didn't think it was right to give away the number Bobby had been waiting for the whole time. And through these discussions it's evident that Kariya's number won't be retired. At least in the foreseeable future.

The practice of these rookie number changes is nothing new. During their rookie seasons, Getzlaf was 51 (now 15), Perry was 61 (now 10), and Penney was 76 (17 with the Ducks). Kunitz was 38 during his first full season with the Ducks. He became 14. Last season Ryan Carter started as 52 and became 20 midway through. The only rookie that hasn't done this was Drew Miller. He came up as 18 and was called up during the Stanley Cup Final. Same with Mark Hartigan who was 13 and called up during the Western Finals in 07.

Personally, I like this practice.

I am also very happy with the new #9. My jersey is in the mail :)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

But if you notice that both Minnesota and Columbus released third jerseys as soon as possible.

when did columbus wear a third?

Their current logo was on their third jersey pre-Edge. It was navy with black sleeves.

It was first seen during the 2003-04 season.

It was also the best jersey they ever wore.

Agreed. Putting navy and black together should violate some tenet of good design, but damned if they didn't make it work. The only glaring flaw of that jersey was the day-glo yellow of the stick in the "CBJ" logo on the shoulder. A couple of years back, someone on eBay was selling "error" versions of these jerseys which had the union cap patches on both shoulders. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up one of those, but I'm pretty happy with the $36 authentic I got a few months back.

I mis-read, sorry. Disregard this.

I would love to see, on topic of Ducks jerseys, a new third for them. I really don't like their current set. It's too bland and nothing special about the wordmark/logo on the front.

I'd love to see a secondary logo, aside from the D, to add to their set. With the name like Ducks the possibilities are endless.

2ly2w09.jpg

Yep. Much to the delight of many Ducks fans actually. Kariya had left Anaheim very uncermoniously after the Mighty Ducks miracle run to Game 7 of the Finals in 03.

The Ducks organization gives rookies high numbers when they get called up initially. they have to "earn" the low numbers. Bobby Ryan had worn 9 all of his career until he reached the Ducks AHL team (then in Portland). But one Ducks prospect, Brendan Mikkelson, was already wearing 9. So he wore 27 (2+7=9). When he was called up, he wore 54. Scott Niedermayer is 27. Mikkelson is wearing 63. So after earning a spot with the team for good now, he was given the 9. Apparently there was a lot of internal discussion within the oeganization about it. He was also allowed to change it at the trade deadline because the Ducks had aquired Erik Christensen who wore 9 in Atlanta. They didn't think it was right to give away the number Bobby had been waiting for the whole time. And through these discussions it's evident that Kariya's number won't be retired. At least in the foreseeable future.

The practice of these rookie number changes is nothing new. During their rookie seasons, Getzlaf was 51 (now 15), Perry was 61 (now 10), and Penney was 76 (17 with the Ducks). Kunitz was 38 during his first full season with the Ducks. He became 14. Last season Ryan Carter started as 52 and became 20 midway through. The only rookie that hasn't done this was Drew Miller. He came up as 18 and was called up during the Stanley Cup Final. Same with Mark Hartigan who was 13 and called up during the Western Finals in 07.

Personally, I like this practice.

I am also very happy with the new #9. My jersey is in the mail :)

'

The practice I like is: let the player have the number they want if it's available. Too me it's stupid to have multiple numbers for no real reason. I can understand if it was an emergency call-up and they needed to get any jersey ready

But if you notice that both Minnesota and Columbus released third jerseys as soon as possible.

when did columbus wear a third?

Their current logo was on their third jersey pre-Edge. It was navy with black sleeves.

It was first seen during the 2003-04 season.

It was also the best jersey they ever wore.

Agreed. Putting navy and black together should violate some tenet of good design, but damned if they didn't make it work. The only glaring flaw of that jersey was the day-glo yellow of the stick in the "CBJ" logo on the shoulder. A couple of years back, someone on eBay was selling "error" versions of these jerseys which had the union cap patches on both shoulders. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up one of those, but I'm pretty happy with the $36 authentic I got a few months back.

I mis-read, sorry. Disregard this.

does anyone have pics? i have never seen it

Nash-8.7.jpg

Every ounce of fashion-design sense in my body tells me that I should hate this jersey, and that it's a horrible use of colors...

...but I can't. For some reason that I can't explain, it works - and works well. In fact, I'll go as far as to use the word fantastic to describe it. I'm even one of the few that really liked the "CB" logo, and was glad that they incorporated it on the sleeves.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

ANOTHER slight font change for the Flyers orange jerseys. Still the same modern number font, but the numbers now have a thicker black outline. The sleeve numbers are a little more narrow as well. Looks like a whole new set of jerseys, as name/number font inconsistancies have been corrected on Ryan Parent and Claude Giroux's jerseys. I guess these are things only someone on this board would notice.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

ANOTHER slight font change for the Flyers orange jerseys. Still the same modern number font, but the numbers now have a thicker black outline. The sleeve numbers are a little more narrow as well. Looks like a whole new set of jerseys, as name/number font inconsistancies have been corrected on Ryan Parent and Claude Giroux's jerseys. I guess these are things only someone on this board would notice.

Just noticed that as well. Apparently the thick outline is weighing the players down, as Boston is having their way with them.

Well that, or their tired from last night's shootout.

Last night was scheduled to be one of the centennial jersey nights for the Canadiens. They were scheduled to wear t he 1912/1913 (barberpole) jerseys. However, Bob Gainey decided in the afternoon that none of his teams will wear that type of jersey, so they scrapped the idea. Instead, the Canadiens came out with their 1915/1916 (CA) jerseys.

Thought it was an interesting tidbit. Also its too bad that the barberpoles were only worn for one game (Rather than the scheduled 2). I am thinking about getting one regardless. Hopefully it goes on sale, now that it is used only one time.

Juventus.png

Archived