NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Over at nhllogos there is a letter from someone who's brother plays AAAA hockey and use a jersey similar to the rumoured Senators jersey, and there is a pic of said jersey.

possiblesensuni2sk2.png

Not as horrible as I had first imagined but if they put some nice arm stripes, and maybe a better shoulder yolk. Could look fine at best.

Awww drat, I thought they were going to be using the shiny fabric the Washington Wizards use!! :P

But really... that isn't all that bad. Not as Nashville-ish as I imagined. If that ends up being close to what they wear, it won't be the eye sore I have in my mind.

Ottawa's third jersey is actually black with SENS in white with a red shadow behind it slanting upwards.

Way to go, Sherlock. Check out the dates of the posts you quoted.

SI's Michael Farber says the Red Wings might bring back their Winter Classic jerseys later this season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...cts.throwbacks/

Detroit, with its splendid winged-wheel logo, wore a gothic D on its jerseys for the Winter Classic outdoor game at Wrigley Field on Jan. 1 -- the unfortunate old-time uniforms might be reprised later this season -- and deprived a huge national television audience (by NHL standards) of the classic Red Wings look.

Combined with the 'Hawks bringing theirs on as full-time alts next year, so much for these sets being "one-time" uniforms. Though the Wings apparently don't plan on bringing their throwbacks in as alts next season.

Good for the Wings.

Their problem seems to have been they have had the same jerseys for years now. Their new edge jerseys are only slightly different from what they had pre-edge. If I (as a jersey collector) were a Wings fan (actually I'm anti-wing) and I had a Zetterberg jersey I would have a Red Home and a White Road with the '08 Cup patch. This leave me with zero Wings jerseys left to purchase (unless I go with another player). Now, if they have a 3rd, I can go out an buy one.

With as popular as they are in the Metro area here (which I think is clearly less than what it was 5 or 10 years ago) they should have done this years ago to capitalize on the fans that already have their home and roads.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Good for the Wings.

Their problem seems to have been they have had the same jerseys for years now. Their new edge jerseys are only slightly different from what they had pre-edge. If I (as a jersey collector) were a Wings fan (actually I'm anti-wing) and I had a Zetterberg jersey I would have a Red Home and a White Road with the '08 Cup patch. This leave me with zero Wings jerseys left to purchase (unless I go with another player). Now, if they have a 3rd, I can go out an buy one.

With as popular as they are in the Metro area here (which I think is clearly less than what it was 5 or 10 years ago) they should have done this years ago to capitalize on the fans that already have their home and roads.

-Dan

So you're okay with a new sweater just for the sake of a cash grab?

Good for the Wings.

-Dan

So you're okay with a new sweater just for the sake of a cash grab?

Yep!

1. Its a smart business move.

2. I don't care since I'm not going to buy one anyways. (I already have my Yzerman jersey so I can have at least 1 jersey from every NHL team)

3. Every hat/t-shirt/jersey a sports team sells is a cash grab.

4. It's a tasteful jersey. Its not like they have a car with wings crashing through the ice coming across the jersey a la Wild Wing.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

SI's Michael Farber says the Red Wings might bring back their Winter Classic jerseys later this season.

Detroit, with its splendid winged-wheel logo, wore a gothic D on its jerseys for the Winter Classic outdoor game at Wrigley Field on Jan. 1 -- the unfortunate old-time uniforms might be reprised later this season -- and deprived a huge national television audience (by NHL standards) of the classic Red Wings look.

Combined with the 'Hawks bringing theirs on as full-time alts next year, so much for these sets being "one-time" uniforms. Though the Wings apparently don't plan on bringing their throwbacks in as alts next season.

Look at last year's Winter Classic.

the following year Buffalo used a dark version of their WC jersey, and Pittsburgh used their same WC jersey both as thirds.

2IA3b.png

the following year Buffalo used a dark version of their WC jersey, and Pittsburgh used their same WC jersey both as thirds.

Buffalo made an entirely new jersey for their alternate.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Buffalo made an entirely new jersey for their alternate.

Uh uh. Oh no you di' int.

Yeah dude. The Sabre's alts are a new design.

4114313717_ee13929eec_o.png

Just a rumor...

Philadelphia is pulling the old switch-a-roo and making orange their home color and black their third. Flyers fans will love that. And finally, as previously reported, the Blackhawks will swap out their current third jersey with their Winter Classic duds.

Source: Icethetics.

Just a rumor...
Philadelphia is pulling the old switch-a-roo and making orange their home color and black their third. Flyers fans will love that. And finally, as previously reported, the Blackhawks will swap out their current third jersey with their Winter Classic duds.

I am so excited if this is true!

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Just a rumor...

Hearsay does not do it for me. They can't source it, therefore I won't believe it.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Just a rumor...

Hearsay does not do it for me. They can't source it, therefore I won't believe it.

As much as I want to believe it, it seems really weird they would be ditching the retro's after the positive fan reaction they have gotten.

But then again maybe they have seen the reaction and want a modern way to return to the orange while leaving the retro for an upcoming Winter Classic :o

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Something in me really doubts that the Blackhawks will ditch this year's third for the Winter Classic. I can understand when Pittsburgh and Buffalo added their retro or updated retro thirds because they were going to have thirds this year anyway. When a team already has a third jersey and it sells well, I don't see the point of changing that out for one that sells well. What I see happening is no new jersey for the Blackhawks and they keep selling the Winter Classic to make money.

I hate how most teams unveil a third jersey and because its big with the fans they switch it to the primary the next season...

But that's what happens the most often. Alt jerseys have a tendency to be superior to the home and roads. Sometimes, a team's regular set is quite appealing until they introduce a new jersey. Fans then begin to praise it and complain about how it should be the new primary. I like when alts compliment the set rather than blow the other two into the wind. It leads to a number of useless jersey changes throughout years.

I hate how most teams unveil a third jersey and because its big with the fans they switch it to the primary the next season...

In Buffalo's case, it's going to lead to a huge improvement. The wheels are already in motion to make the current third the primary and to have a white version for the road.

And thank goodness.

Just a rumor...

As much as I want to believe it, it seems really weird they would be ditching the retro's after the positive fan reaction they have gotten.

But then again maybe they have seen the reaction and want a modern way to return to the orange while leaving the retro for an upcoming Winter Classic :o

What are you talking about? No where in that quote did it mention that they were getting rid of their orange retro jerseys. It suggested that they were making the orange retros the home jersey while making the black jerseys the third. You definitely misinterpreted that one chief.

stugotz...

pauliesig2.jpg

Archived