UEFA Champions League

heernumurr

Well will..

We have an all English final.

Comments?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fluke.

Riiight.

You do realize that there has been a Barclays Premier League team in the past four Champions League Finals (including the upcoming one)? and for the second year in a row there have been three English clubs in the semifinals?

MOD EDIT

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Let's face it, the Premier League only is better as a whole because their 19th and 20th best teams are better than their counterparts (the 19th and 20th teams in the Bundesliga or Serie A.) Up at the top, if you put them on a neutral field, the non-English side wins more often than not.

I will, however, concede that they are better than English teams were in the late 80s, where for six consecutive years (1985-86 through 1990-91), no English side won as much as a single match in the precursor to the Champions League.

LvZYtbZ.png

Let's face it, the Premier League only is better as a whole because their 19th and 20th best teams are better than their counterparts (the 19th and 20th teams in the Bundesliga or Serie A.) Up at the top, if you put them on a neutral field, the non-English side wins more often than not.

I will, however, concede that they are better than English teams were in the late 80s, where for six consecutive years (1985-86 through 1990-91), no English side won as much as a single match in the precursor to the Champions League.

Gee... maybe that was because English teams are banned from the UEFA competitions during that time?

I saw, I came, I left.

Stop talking through your 4th point of contact Will.

Things to note:

(1) The 1. Bundesliga only has 18 teams.

(2) Derby County is a loss or draw away from ensuring the worst record in Barclays Premier League history (1-8-27 with a [-63] goal difference] and frankly would be a mid table team in the Coca Cola Championship (The 2nd Division in England) So any discussion of bottom clubs in any league this season is tenuous at best.

(3) Rosterwise bottom clubs in the other major top flight are at best equal to English sides to worse, as the 1. Bundesliga and Ligue 1 for example are notorious for having rather dire teams in the bottom half, who mask their poor talent by beating each other in their leagues.

(4) In neutral field matches since the 1992-93 season* (The first season of the Barclays Premier League), Barclays Premier League clubs are 6-4-1 (Arsenal lost the 2000 UEFA Cup Final on Penalty kicks)

(5) Since the creation of the UEFA Champions League for the 1992-93 season, English clubs have combined to go 223-116-104. That's right, a nearly 2:1:1 ratio.

Er, you do realize that British clubs were banned from European competitions by UEFA after the Heysel disaster in 1985? And prior to that English clubs had won 7 of the previous 8 European Cup finals?

--------

*UEFA Champions League Final (1993- ), UEFA Cup Final (1993- ), UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (1993-1999), UEFA Super Cup (1993- )

** Season-by-season Breakdown:

1992-93 1-0-3

1993-94 0-2-0

1994-95 2-2-2

1995-96 1-1-4

1996-97 4-1-5

1997-98 8-4-4

1998-99 8-8-3

1999-2000 17-8-6

2000-01 21-12-13

2001-02 20-14-10

2002-03 24-10-14

2003-04 17-7-8

2004-05 23-11-11

2005-06 20-13-10

2006-07 28-12-9

2007-08 29-11-2 (to date)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Maybe the idea of an all English final doesn't please some people, but if they beat everyone else, hell they probably deserve it. Could you honestly say, having watched the Champions League this year, that there were any teams who deserved it more?

Regardless of whether it's the best way to do it, until the day we see a European Super League formed (it'll happen some day), this is how we decide the best team in Europe. So if you make the final, you're better than those that didn't aren't you?

I enjoyed the Liverpool / Chelsea game today, its been awhile since I've seen a game in a downpour. Sami Hyypia absolutely clobbered Michael Ballack and it was a good take by Lampard. Lamps always looks like the least confident player when he is taking those. I didn't get a chance to watch the Man. Utd. / Chelsea Premier league game this last weekend. I know Chelsea won but thats about it. Champions League and the Domestic title up for grabs in the next few weeks, that should be great.

Not quite on topic but I thought I might as well stick it in this thread:

Rangers in the UEFA Cup final? All I can say is I'm glad I left Scotland two months ago, the media coverage will be excruciating.

Just watching Rangers play is bad enough :D

liverpool-1.png

• 3 weeks later...

Less than 18 hours to the, well, rematch of last year's FA Cup final. Hopefully this one will have a bit more excitement. I've already made championship sigs for both ManU and Chelsea; now it's just a matter of seeing which one I'll actually get to post.

Oh, and speaking of FA Cup finals and sigs...

engportsmouthfachampswi9.png

CCSLC signature.png

No doubt the losers will blame the food in Moscow.

I suppose playing in Moscow will give Chelski a home field advantage though.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

No doubt the losers will blame the food in Moscow.

I suppose playing in Moscow will give Chelski a home field advantage though.

Not the food, the pitch. The excuses are being thought out well in advance.

And apparently Abramovich has made sure at least 1000 locals will be there, cheering on his team. I still want them them to win though.

I have a flight today at 4:20pm, which means I'm going to try to get to the airport around 2:30 to get an exit row seat. Kickoff is roughly 1:45pm our time.

Damn it!

I'll record the game on my DVR, but it's going to be almost a week before I can watch it.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived