2008 MLB Season

gingerbreadmann

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh and David Eckstein is now a Diamondback

Dbacks Acquire David Eckstein from Toronto

What is with Toronto?

What do you mean? We're 10+ games out and trading away a guy that never played who has a month left on his contract.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Who cares whether or not it was a no-hitter. They won, didn't they?

Yes, they won.

I'm on the fence about it... not as to whether it was a hit or an error, because it was OBVIOUSLY an error. If CC picks up the ball, of course he can gun down LaRoche, who was about 60 feet away. And did you see his bare-hander? The guy can pick up a ball and turn on a dime.

It's just strange that they're hoping for an error. Hits are usually less of a blemish than an error, but yeah... It is big, though, because the Brewers have not had a no-hitter since 1987, and I have never witnessed one. I know that other ones occur, but they occur in Boston, and I don't watch there. I dunno, it would be cool to have, and a no-hitter is always a neat little notch in ones belt.

No idea how the official scorer can live with that call. He even looked at the replay! What a clown! But, he did make the call about the second LaRoche stepped on the bag, not waiting for the replay (the first time it was shown) or anything. He made a hasty call (and a bad one at that), and he had to live with it. No idea how anyone can call it a hit.

Oh and David Eckstein is now a Diamondback

Dbacks Acquire David Eckstein from Toronto

What is with Toronto?

What do you mean? We're 10+ games out and trading away a guy that never played who has a month left on his contract.

Plus the Jays got something out of it getting a solid young reliever ( imo ), instead of just letting him go, at the end of the season.

4kv29i.jpg

Just saw a video of the Sabathia play... it wasn't even close, if he picks up that ball LaRoche is out by a mile

I totally agree. I just watched it. That was a bull- :censored: call. CC throws him out by 20 feet if he hangs on to the ball. Total homer call.

BB52Big.jpg

Im sick of all this about Sabathia.

Ok, as a Pirates fan, I say get over it. You still have a freaking awesome pitcher. He still pitched a shutout, whether it was a no hitter or one hitter. And youre still in the wildcard with an awesome team. 3 things we havent had for 16 years.

The fact is, you also did it against the pirates. The pirates. You didnt do it against the cubs. You didnt do it against the rays. Throwing a no hitter against a team like the pirates when youre one of the best there is not as the acheivment everyone is making yesterdays game out to be. I bet if CC played yesterday's game 20 times over, he would get a no hitter at least 10 times. Yes. A no hitter is awesome, no matter the circumstances, but the team youre playing obviously plays a pretty large part in it, and playing a team that might as well have brooms as bats and be wearing blindfolds gives you a pretty good chance.

How does he feel getting a no hitter "taken away" from him? How about how Pirates fans feel, having the entire baseball world want our only hit in a game that, itself was a fluke, taken away?

I understand the controversey, and maybe it lasting until sometime last night, but there is no reason for sportscenter to be carrying this over to 10:30AM the next day. Yeah, it was a bull :censored: call, but they happen.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

Phils split with the Cubs, and if not for an "EPIC!" bullpen collapse in game 1, take 3 out of 4 from the best home team in baseball (Zambrano scratch acknowledged.) Can't wait for next weekend at Shea.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

if im Sabathia, i'd rather not take the error and keep a 1 hitter. i dont understand why the Brewers are making a big stink, he gets a no-no, an even bigger deal awaits him in the free agent market. maybe theyre just resigned to losing him i guess.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Ben Sheets was pinch hit for in the bottom of the 5th vs. the Mets today, up 1-0 having thrown only 54 pitches. One would think he's hurt...and that's not good for Milwaukee.

According to the broadcast Sheets had tightness in his groin. Not a good sign. Hopefully for the Brewers it isn't serious.

Ben Sheets was pinch hit for in the bottom of the 5th vs. the Mets today, up 1-0 having thrown only 54 pitches. One would think he's hurt...and that's not good for Milwaukee.

Honestly, it's more of a story when Sheets is healthy than when he gets injured.

Props to Cliff Lee on becoming baseball's first 20-game winner in 2008. Cy Young and Comeback Player of The Year.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Honestly, it's more of a story when Sheets is healthy than when he gets injured.

Props to Cliff Lee on becoming baseball's first 20-game winner in 2008. Cy Young and Comeback Player of The Year.

Ha, nice job referencing the All-Star starters in the same post.

One has stayed hot and become the first 20-game winner of the season, and the other is injured (again) and in a run of bad starts.

Cliff Lee gets my vote for Cy Young, but Comeback Player of the Year? The guy's in the same league as Josh Hamilton, so it's not going to happen, whether it should or not.

My concern regarding the C.C. one hitter... since he was no longer pitching a no-hitter, why have him pitch the 8th or 9th inning of a 7-0 ballgame? This isn't the first time the Brewers have sent him out there for a CG game with a huge lead and frankly, it doesn't make sense -- especially not when they're dealing with a guy who's thrown a lot of innings these past few years and seemed to break down in the playoffs last year. I know it's just a few innings we're talking about here but they're innings he doesn't need to pitch.

... but maybe that's just me.

By the way, should've been an error, but missed bare-handed fielding attempts are almost always scored as hits.

IUe6Hvh.png

Truthfully, because they have 2 months left (assuming they hold on and make the playoffs) of him in a Brewers uniform. He'll sign somewhere else, so in their minds, might as well get all they can out of him.

Well my point is more for this season -- he's on pace to throw 247 innings and then tack on playoff innings. That's insane. They've decided this is the year they have to make a push at it, how much do they expect the guy to have left in the tank by the NLCS or World Series if they get that far? I see his season ending a lot like it did in Cleveland last year -- and I think a tired arm had as much to do with that as anything else. I just don't see the point in having him throw these meaningless innings. Pulling a guy when he's going for a CG game isn't a popular move, but it's almost always the right one when the game's not in doubt.

IUe6Hvh.png

I thought his 130-pitch complete game was ridiculously unnecessary, but then again, pitch counts aren't a true indicator of anything. If you can only throw 85, throw 85. He said that he wants to go as deep into games as possible. I do see a dead arm in his future, but then again, if he wants to stay out there, the manager would look like a jerk for pulling him. It happened earlier in the year when Sheets was looking for a complete game -- Yost did the right thing and gave him a baserunner, but once someone got on, he's out. I would have done that for Sabathia's 130-pitch game, but still, you don't want your guy to be frosty at you for pulling him.

I think the last time out, though, they let him finish the game because they were confident that it will be overturned. He deserved either a no-hitter or a clean hit, making the hit/error play moot. I know it wears him down, but the manager has to back his players, and I'm sure Yost wanted the no-hitter as a morale-booster.

Archived