NJ/BROOKLYN NETS RE-BRANDING

mrfab

Why would they give up the New Jersey name? I mean, the Giants and Jets play in New Jersey but call themselves New York. Why shouldn't the New Jersey Nets continue to be New Jersey even if playing in New York? Everyone on the board tells me there is really no difference between New York and New Jersey anyway, that New Jersey is simply a suburb of New York. (said tounge in cheek but some truth in there somewhere).

Because...

1) There is a very large amount of marketing dollars to be made out of adopting a "Brooklyn" identity, especially for a basketball team.

2) No offense to the Jerseyites here, but there isn't with New Jersey.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Domain: brooklynknights.com

Registration provider: ItsYourDomain.com

Registrant

Adam Padilla

Adam Padilla

adampadilla@mac.com

1300 Clinton Street

Hoboken, NJ 07030 US

+1.2016837163

(FAX)

This person appears to have a website. The bio page is much more useful than the front page. He seems to have worked for the Nets at some point. Take that as you will.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I remember a film called 'Like Mike', don't ask me why I remember, but in it there is a fictional NBA team called the Knights and seeing the teaser for the logo it reminded me of the unis in the film.

Like_mike.jpg

I was thinking the same thing.

The LA Knights logo had pretty sweet logo.

photo_01.jpg

photo_15.jpg

photo_08.jpg

photo_02.jpg

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Why would they give up the New Jersey name? I mean, the Giants and Jets play in New Jersey but call themselves New York. Why shouldn't the New Jersey Nets continue to be New Jersey even if playing in New York? Everyone on the board tells me there is really no difference between New York and New Jersey anyway, that New Jersey is simply a suburb of New York. (said tounge in cheek but some truth in there somewhere).

North Jersey is part of the New York metropolitan-statistical area, so teams playing in New Jersey are technically not wrong to call themselves New York - it's just that they're named after the "region" rather than city / state.

However, there is no North Jersey consolidated-metro-statistical area, so it wouldn't make any sense for a NY based team to use a location that they don't play in (literally, or regionally.)

Look at MLS - the team in Chester PA is considered "Philadelphia" because it is in the Phila. CSMA. Would the Eagles ever change their name to the Chester Eagles, or the Lansdale Eagles, if they played in the city-limits of Philadelphia?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The New Jersey Knights of Brooklyn!

Seriously, this joke should've been made sooner.

No, it shouldn't have. :evil:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

North Jersey is part of the New York metropolitan-statistical area, so teams playing in New Jersey are technically not wrong to call themselves New York - it's just that they're named after the "region" rather than city / state.

However, there is no North Jersey consolidated-metro-statistical area, so it wouldn't make any sense for a NY based team to use a location that they don't play in (literally, or regionally.)

Look at MLS - the team in Chester PA is considered "Philadelphia" because it is in the Phila. CSMA. Would the Eagles ever change their name to the Chester Eagles, or the Lansdale Eagles, if they played in the city-limits of Philadelphia?

There is some historical precedent - the Homestead Grays continued to use that name even after they moved from the suburb into Pittsburgh itself.

I didn't say that there wasn't any difference between New York and New Jersey, only that northern New Jersey is a suburb of NYC. That word "suburb" ought to have been the clue as to the specific difference. :P

As a life-long Nets fan, I am opposed to this (and the move to BK). The team name "Nets" holds a lot of history. Back when they were ABA champs on Long Island, and when Dr. J played for us. Julius Erving was a Net. Not a Knight.

But anyways, I don't like the sound of it. "Brooklyn Knights" or "Brooklyn Nets." IMO Nets sounds better. Feudalism is dead, let the Nets reign.

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

Why do people assume that because two cities or counties are next to each other or anywhere close to each other, that one is automatically a suburb of the other? I deal with this living in Orange County behind the Orange Curtain, and LA. There are differences and stark differences and people who visit both will tell you. What I love are know-it-alls who don't live here or who have never lived here or even visited here keep this claim that Orange County is just a suburb of LA. It's not. It has it's own lifestyle. etc. Just as New Jersey is different than NYC. Why don't people claim the same thing about Baltimore and DC, or Toronto with Buffalo and/or Detroit? Or what about San Francisco and Oakland? Or even this poster, I could make the ignorant claim that Seattle is just a suburb of Vancouver.

As far as the name the Brooklyn Knights... well it's 100% better than the Washington Wizards and the Charlotte Bobcats. But I do see with the Wizards, Knights, and Kings that the NBA is going towards a Mid-Evil theme. Shall we rename the Clippers to the LA Jesters?

Archived