Philadelphia Soul 3rd Jersey

Geoff

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was definately stolen...lack of creativity from the Soul.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

The airport abbreviation trend has to end now. It's weak for the suns, it looks even worse here, and it's wholly unnecessary.

Just imagine a Canadian team trying to do that .... :D

A Leafs jersey with YYZ across the front would be popular amongst Rush fans

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

this makes me embarrassed to be a Soul fan.

Meh, if it's only for one game, it's not so bad.

The thing that bothers me is the outline of the numbers -- the blue part is way, way too thick.

philly.png

The Suns should sue these losers.

Does anybody actually refer to Philly as PHI? I've heard people refer to Phoenix as PHX, so that's not so weird to me. Strangely, I've even heard people call Portland PDX, though that seems dumb.

There is no explanation for this mess. I only hope that this was something stupid that Russel came up with, and not a JBJ / Jaws creation.

The only acceptable abbreviation for Philadelphia on a uniform is Phila. That's it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't like Phila, even though there's a precedent for its use. I'd accept Philly, though.

What you would accept is irrelevant to the discussion. Philly is basically slang, and not an official abbreviation. Would you put "Frisco" on a SF team's jersey?

I'll agree that the fact that someing was used previously doesn't necessarily mean that it is the right thing (basically, precedence means very little), but in this case, it is the only acceptable shortening of Philadelphia. Unfortunately, that is fact - not opinion. When I used to send letters (which feels like ages ago) the address read "Phila., PA 19xxx", not "Philly".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe the Rush will put an "ORD" wordmark on their dumb black alt jerseys later this season, given how often planes from O'Hare fly over the Allstate.

Or better yet, bring back the Toronto Phantoms, and introduce a light blue "YYZ" alt.

Sigh.

Hmm. Move the Rush to Toronto, and you've got the formula for the best-selling jersey in AFL history.

Would you put "Frisco" on a SF team's jersey?

you would put Frisco on a Frisco jersey.

http://sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=6653

Of course, that team's from Frisco, Texas, not San Francisco.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

In an effort to make this alternate uni ugly in all aspects, the Soul are wearing it with unstriped, solid graphite pants.

Looking at this mess, it seems to me like this is the continued erosion of a once-great uniform, much like we've witnessed with the Florida Marlins. The team had this great-looking, distinct set when it came into the league with Mitchell and Ness, and Nike had no problem replicating that look when they took over. Then along comes Russell, imposing their template and stripping the unis of their distinctive fonts. At the start of this year, the team unveils the spectacularly horrid "Your Team, YoUnited" anniversary logo, and turns it into a cumbersome sleeve patch. And now, a poorly-executed alternate, with a nonsensical wordmark stolen from an NBA franchise. Just bad news all around.

UPDATE: For whatever reason, Larry Brackins' jersey has the regular Soul logo on the sleeves instead of the anniversary patch. And his name is misspelled as "Brakins."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't like Phila, even though there's a precedent for its use. I'd accept Philly, though.

What you would accept is irrelevant to the discussion. Philly is basically slang, and not an official abbreviation. Would you put "Frisco" on a SF team's jersey?

I'll agree that the fact that someing was used previously doesn't necessarily mean that it is the right thing (basically, precedence means very little), but in this case, it is the only acceptable shortening of Philadelphia. Unfortunately, that is fact - not opinion. When I used to send letters (which feels like ages ago) the address read "Phila., PA 19xxx", not "Philly".

Well, I haven't spent much time in Philadelphia, but I know people in San Francisco don't like it when people call their city "Frisco". I was under the impression that "Philly" is an acceptable and widely-used slang term for the city. I've never heard anybody say, "I'm from Phila," or whatever. It just seems like an awkward abbreviation, like they'd only use it because they ran out of room. That would be like a Chicago team having jerseys with "Chica" on them.... But with all that said, if people do call it Phila, I'm OK with it.

I've seen them in person, and one of my friends who I attended the game with puchased one (though I shudder because she purchased it purely because it was a Bon Jovi jersey... that's a bit too much).

They're not as ugly as when I first saw them. Really, from a distance, there's enough blue and black for them to blend in. They're not great, but they've grown on me.

Oh, and they were the only jerseys being sold at the Spectrum tonight. So you were pretty much SOL if you didn't like them and wanted to get one.

philly.png

Well, I haven't spent much time in Philadelphia, but I know people in San Francisco don't like it when people call their city "Frisco". I was under the impression that "Philly" is an acceptable and widely-used slang term for the city. I've never heard anybody say, "I'm from Phila," or whatever. It just seems like an awkward abbreviation, like they'd only use it because they ran out of room. That would be like a Chicago team having jerseys with "Chica" on them.... But with all that said, if people do call it Phila, I'm OK with it.

The way (most) people write is different from how they speak. Abbreviations or nicknames are far more acceptable in conversation then when the time is taken to actually write or type something out.

Is "Philly" acceptable in colloquial speach? Sure. Is it acceptable on a message board? Almost always. On an actual written document? Nope. In any type of professional context? Nope. On a professionally-designed jersey? No way.

It would be like if the Knicks put "Gotham" on their jerseys, or if the Hawks put "A-Town" on theirs, or if the Celtics had "Beantown" on theirs. It's pretty much the same thing.

The way (most) people write is different from how they speak. Abbreviations or nicknames are far more acceptable in conversation then when the time is taken to actually write or type something out.

Is "Philly" acceptable in colloquial speach? Sure. Is it acceptable on a message board? Almost always. On an actual written document? Nope. In any type of professional context? Nope. On a professionally-designed jersey? No way.

It would be like if the Knicks put "Gotham" on their jerseys, or if the Hawks put "A-Town" on theirs, or if the Celtics had "Beantown" on theirs. It's pretty much the same thing.

I tend to agree with the distinction. As much as I dislike the airport abbreviation fad, it's better than a city nickname. No matter how much I'd like to see the Brewers wear "Cream City" in script across the front of their home whites.

But San Francisco is never "Frisco." Not in colloquial speech, not in writing, not ever.

Archived