Ugh.

INDIANAPOLIS (AP)?The NCAA has approved applications for 34 football bowl games for 2008, including 32 existing bowls and two new games in Washington, D.C., and St. Petersburg, Fla.

The NCAA Postseason Football Licensing Subcommittee on Wednesday also turned down a request for a proposed Rocky Mountain Bowl in Salt Lake City.

The new bowl games for next season will be the Congressional Bowl in the nation's capital and the St. Petersburg Bowl.

Licenses were renewed for the Allstate Sugar, AT&T Cotton, AutoZone Liberty, BCS National Championship, Bell Helicopter Armed Forces, Brut Sun, Capital One, Champs Sports, Chick-fil-A, Emerald, Fed Ex Orange, Gaylord Hotels Music City, GMAC, Roady's Humanitarian, Insight, International, Konica Minolta Gator, Meineke Car Care, Motor City, New Mexico, Outback, Pacific Life Holiday, Papajohns.com, PetroSun Independence, Pioneer Las Vegas, R+L Carriers New Orleans, Rose, San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia, Sheraton Hawaii, Texas, Tostitos Fiesta and Valero Alamo bowls.

The subcommittee, meeting in Weston, Fla., also reported about 1.6 million fans attended last season's bowl games, and about $222 million in revenue from those games was distributed to the participating teams and conferences.

So a total of 68 NCAA teams will go to a bowl game this coming season. Wow. Not that I dislike the idea of kids going to a bowl game, but this is just too much. Interesting that we now have the "Roady's Humanitarian Bowl" and the "Konica Minolta Gator" Bowls to look forward to, along with the all-important "Sheraton Hawaii" Bowl. I might be wrong but there are apparently a few new sponsorship deals in place.

nav-logo.png

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bowl games aren't intended as rewards nowadays. They are about the extra month of practice you get by going to them. Not surprised at all by this.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

CA-CHING$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Not necessarily. The lower tier bowls usually don't make much, if any, money. In fact, some teams lose money by going to these games.

Yeah... that's part of the reason why new ones crop up every now and then - because other ones lose money and their supporting entity discontinues operations (Seattle Bowl, for example).

nav-logo.png

For the teams and most of the fans, Bowls are still fun. To say you are a "bowl team" is still a point of pride for most schools. I don't have a problem with the extra bowls because it could allow teams like Troy and some MAC and WAC teams a chance to get more exposure.

The exposure benefits the school in numerous ways. It can help market the school which could lead to a bigger enrollment which means more money for the school in the long run.

I still don't see a problem with it.

Oh and for anyone thinking that this had anything do with the rejection of the "Plus-1" system; you're wrong. The Plus 1 was rejected because of the Big10 and Pac10 and their agreement/enjoyment with the Rose Bowl.

You want a real enemy to a playoff? Look no further than the Rose Bowl.

For the teams and most of the fans, Bowls are still fun. To say you are a "bowl team" is still a point of pride for most schools. I don't have a problem with the extra bowls because it could allow teams like Troy and some MAC and WAC teams a chance to get more exposure.

The exposure benefits the school in numerous ways. It can help market the school which could lead to a bigger enrollment which means more money for the school in the long run.

I still don't see a problem with it.

Oh and for anyone thinking that this had anything do with the rejection of the "Plus-1" system; you're wrong. The Plus 1 was rejected because of the Big10 and Pac10 and their agreement/enjoyment with the Rose Bowl.

Well...it helps that the BCS system has permitted his Conference champion to pull in title game (loser) money the last couple of years in exchange for a biblical pimp slapping.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well...it helps that the BCS system has permitted his Conference champion to pull in title game (loser) money the last couple of years in exchange for a biblical pimp slapping.

A biblical pimp slapping? Never heard of that. Pimps in biblical times? :blink:

I saw, I came, I left.

A biblical pimp slapping? Never heard of that. Pimps in biblical times? :blink:

Well, there are prostitutes in the Bible, so it logically follows that pimps would be around back then as well. :D

Today, we are all otaku.

I think it was Dan Wetzer on Yahoo....(might be wrong) suggested the best playoff system...which was 16 teams comprising of all 11 conference champions and 5 at large bids. Sounds exciting and smart, considering how it would improve lower conference teams and their programs.

I agree with the 16-team idea or this 8-team one that I think someone posted here a while ago:

"This format allows the regular season to stay hyped because one loss can easily knock you out of the playoff.

8-team playoff

Big East winner

Big Ten winner

Big 12 Winner

Pac-10 winner

ACC winner

SEC winner

wild card 1 (mid-major conference)

wild card 2 (mid-major conference)"

Yep. If the Big 10 and Pac 10 had their way, there would not even be the BCS; they'd still have teams in the Rose Bowl every year no matter what.

Meanwhile the SEC is getting noisier and noisier about a playoff since they usually have two or three teams each year that could stand a very good chance of winning a title if there was any sort of playoff, even a plus-1.

Whatever, it's no secret that college football is as crooked as boxing and the olympics.

1zgyd8w.jpg

So a total of 68 NCAA teams will go to a bowl game this coming season.

Jeez, why not just do "December Madness" and have one big bracket of 64 teams playoff to a single winner?

It's nice to know that with 68 teams there's a fighting chance the Golden Gophers will once more be playing in front of mom, dad and 358 other fans in the Meineke Car Care Bowl or worse.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it once more here: The bowl system cannot coexist with any sort of on-field national-championship format. The BC$ has shown that compromising by trying to shoehorn one into the other only makes them both suffer - the bowls by loss of traditional matchups, the championship by a very limited number of teams you can let in (unless you want a month or more of playoffs) and the resulting endless controversies over who "deserved" it, which can't be good for its legitimacy.

Something's gotta give. The NCAA should make a clean break one way or the other: either scrap the bowls and do a straight playoff, or keep the bowls, scrap the BC$ and go back to letting the post-bowl polls (try saying that several times fast) decide the national champion. That's no more controversial than what we have now. The real trouble here is that the NCAA has become too attached to both the bowls and to the idea of crowning a national champion (however nominal) on the field to let either one go.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived