All it takes is $40 and a dream.

Lee.

I'm a broke college student who's totally game for this.

I'll work on actually putting money in the account tomorrow, but I'm down.

That said, what's your plan for running the team Lee?

$20,000 is the league fee, but it's obviously going to take more to keep the team going.

Oh. And I actually just realized that my job with the University of Illinois athletic dept. may have a say in whether or not I can actually be a part of a professional franchise. I'm not sure. But I know there's crazy NCAA rules...wouldn't be about the University actually getting punished (because I'm just not that important), but rather me keeping my job. So...don't mark me down yet, but one way or another I'm a supporter.

Justin, I suggest getting your dad to contribute, on your behalf. That way, the feds can't trace it you won't break any NCAA rules.

As far as running the team, I have a credit card. I figure this is another step-up we'll have on the rest of the league. The first step is actually hitting $20 grand, after that, we'll worry about the rest.

As has been mentioned, even if we get the team then fold, we'll be able to say that, if even for a day, we owned a pro sports team. To me, that's easily worth $40.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a broke college student who's totally game for this.

I'll work on actually putting money in the account tomorrow, but I'm down.

That said, what's your plan for running the team Lee?

$20,000 is the league fee, but it's obviously going to take more to keep the team going.

Oh. And I actually just realized that my job with the University of Illinois athletic dept. may have a say in whether or not I can actually be a part of a professional franchise. I'm not sure. But I know there's crazy NCAA rules...wouldn't be about the University actually getting punished (because I'm just not that important), but rather me keeping my job. So...don't mark me down yet, but one way or another I'm a supporter.

As far as DIA, "Don't Ask...Don't Tell". If you can't do it, work for Campus Rec (I can give you a recommendation).

Pfft. I'm pretty sure the 500/$40 thing was MY idea. The "$40 and a Dream" is me too (by way of New York State Lotto). You can atone for this oversight by placing this fellow somewhere on your website:

number1.png

Pfft. As team VP, your ideas are our ideas. I will add the photo to the site as soon as I can photoshop your name and email address somewhere onto the young man's t-shirt.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

[
The Vancouver Fecez

This is completely inadequate, not to mention unacceptable.

You should have an "S" on the end of 'Feces.' Spelling counts, and we must rise above what other teams are doing.

But Internationalz and All-Starz and Nipplez is fine for this league. I demand a justice! I demand just ice! I demand a popsicle!

This is conduct unbecoming a team official.

I'm sorry. I see a 'Z' and I just go crazy. Holy :censored:! There's two more of them!

You just gave me the perfect idea for a team name and mascot..."The Sharptonz"working the no justice and "z" angle.

Okay, first, a bit of a reality check. The $20K might get you in the door, but if I'm kicking any money toward this enterprise, damnit it's going to be done right - meaning that the franchise is actually going to field a team, and that team is going to play, at least starting an ABA season. That means the amount of money we should be raising is significantly larger - at least $100K in this case, to cover facility rentals, travel and accommodation costs for road trips, other expenses.

Second, contributing money is all well and good, but this is (albeit a quirky one) a business. I strongly suggest setting it up as one - specifically, a "C" corporation with two classes of shares: a Class "A" stock that has enhanced voting rights (in case the ABA actually has some rule requiring its teams have a 51% owner), and a Class "B" stock, which is what you get for your $40.

Third, you need to decide if it's one share per person maximum, or whether folks can buy in to their heart's content.

Fourth, if I can have a spiffy title like "Managing General Partner," "President of Business Operations," or "Vice President and General Manager," I'll gladly buy a few shares. I don't want the authority necessarily, but I'd like a cool title - I don't give myself cool titles in my business ventures for fear of seeming self-absorbed or pompous, so this franchise could give me one I figure.

Fifth, I think to demonstrate what the ABA is all about, we need to collectively come up with the worst, most outrageously offensive team name and color scheme humanly imaginable. It's a moral imperative.

Sixth, we need to decide where this team will actually play before approaching Papa Smurf (ehr, Joe). Will it be Vancouver? Seattle? Tacoma? Pennsyltucky? Where?

Finally, we simply MUST have a 'dance team,' recruited predominately from Thee Dollhouse, the Pink Rhino, or whatever local strip club may be around.

nav-logo.png

Oh, and Lee? Cough up a little from the fund and reserve "ourhoopdream.com..." Maybe coerce Yzerfan into helping design a better web site. Once that's done we could actually do some promotion of this concept without making you look like a total doofus in the process.

nav-logo.png

To place emphasis on the whole dream angle we are going with this venture, then I have the perfect name for the franchise.

The Vancouver Cinderellazz

Instant gold right there.

VmWIn6B.png

We can play in elementary school gyms across our great nation(s).

I'll donate if I get a job. And a paypal account. Which needs a credit card, another thing I don't have.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

I'll put in some money on two conditions:

1) We have some hot cheerleaders.

2) If I don't get drafted in the NBA I get to play guard and wear #12.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

I'll put in some money on two conditions:

1) We have some hot cheerleaders.

2) If I don't get drafted in the NBA I get to play guard and wear #12.

I suspect as long as you don't, like, expect to be paid or anything, that would be fine.

It'll be a heck of a story to tell the grandkids....

Thad: "Grandpa couldn't make the varisty squad in high school, but with a stroke of luck he was able to play pro basketball."

Grandkid: "You played in the NBA?!?"

Thad: "Noooo, the ABA."

Grandkid: "The one with Dr. J?!"

Thad: "Noooo, the one with the FireAntz and the AllStarzzzzz"

Grandkid: "So did grandma doing anything cool before we were born?"

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Oh, and Lee? Cough up a little from the fund and reserve "ourhoopdream.com..." Maybe coerce Yzerfan into helping design a better web site. Once that's done we could actually do some promotion of this concept without making you look like a total doofus in the process.

I don't quite think you grasp what the ABA is all about.

To place emphasis on the whole dream angle we are going with this venture, then I have the perfect name for the franchise.

The Vancouver CinderFellazz

Instant gold right there.

Edited to reflect the fact that most of our players will have penises. In some cases, possibly more than one.

I will do my best to attempt a recruiting run this weekend at No. 5 Orange, a local gathering spot for comely females. Will report back on my findings.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Jesus, I spend the night with my girlfriend instead of religiously monitoring the boards, and this happens?

I'm so in. Fool, money, parted, you know the rest.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

You know Lee, you can take inspiration from Ebbsfleet United and pimp this idea around the Innernets a bit. As part owner of The Fleet, it's something I'm quite proud of. I'll consider dropping you $40 in a couple of weeks. It's an idea that's crazy enough to work!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

You know Lee, you can take inspiration from Ebbsfleet United and pimp this idea around the Innernets a bit. As part owner of The Fleet, it's something I'm quite proud of. I'll consider dropping you $40 in a couple of weeks. It's an idea that's crazy enough to work!

That's why I'm suggesting he beef up the web presence a little bit. Like I said if this is going to be worth the aggravation, damnit it's worth doing right.

nav-logo.png

I don't know about you guys, but I thought the cool part about it was that it would be all CCSLC members, not just random people on the Intraweb.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

That's why I'm suggesting he beef up the web presence a little bit. Like I said if this is going to be worth the aggravation, damnit it's worth doing right.

scouting cheap hosting as we speak.

Hoping like hell the wife doesn't see the charges for anything on the statement next month :)

Anyone want to volunteer their mad web design skillz for the cause?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived