All it takes is $40 and a dream.

Lee.

Recruiting? This is the ABA, where talent scouting is the equivalent of the guy who shows up at the bar at 3 a.m., looking for whatever's drunk and available.

But why not at least talk to the bench players for these colleges and tell them how playing in the ABA will be much better than bagging groceries? Getting good players would almost guarantee us a good playoff standing and possibly a championship. Also, in Connecticut, we (especially old people) love UConn basketball. Having former players from UConn, no matter how useless they were on the team, will draw attendance. I mean, look at the attendance figures when the Connecticut Sun signed former UConn standout Nykesha Sales (sp?).

Also, New Haven has Quinnipiac University, Gateway CC, and Yale University (where I'm sure we can find some front office-types) meaning that there will be no shortage of the willing who want to play. Plus, New Haven has a large inner city population and, from what I've seen when I visit my cousin who lives in the Elm City, these cats can flat-out ball. Open tryouts would allow us to field a team that would be at least as competitive as any other in the ABA. If we charge, say, $75 to try out for the team (that's way less than what the Internationalz charge for their tryouts), we might be able to cover some of our early operating costs. I know that a clothing store in the West Haven, which is just outside of New Haven, sponsors various AAU teams with free Nike jerseys. If we give them ad space, they might do the same for us.

Sounds like a great spot for me. And even if Lee doesn't want to move his team here, maybe we could just start one up in the area. ^_^

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Recruiting? This is the ABA, where talent scouting is the equivalent of the guy who shows up at the bar at 3 a.m., looking for whatever's drunk and available.

But why not at least talk to the bench players for these colleges and tell them how playing in the ABA will be much better than bagging groceries? Getting good players would almost guarantee us a good playoff standing and possibly a championship. Also, in Connecticut, we (especially old people) love UConn basketball. Having former players from UConn, no matter how useless they were on the team, will draw attendance. I mean, look at the attendance figures when the Connecticut Sun signed former UConn standout Nykesha Sales (sp?).

Also, New Haven has Quinnipiac University, Gateway CC, and Yale University (where I'm sure we can find some front office-types) meaning that there will be no shortage of the willing who want to play. Plus, New Haven has a large inner city population and, from what I've seen when I visit my cousin who lives in the Elm City, these cats can flat-out ball. Open tryouts would allow us to field a team that would be at least as competitive as any other in the ABA. If we charge, say, $75 to try out for the team (that's way less than what the Internationalz charge for their tryouts), we might be able to cover some of our early operating costs. I know that a clothing store in the West Haven, which is just outside of New Haven, sponsors various AAU teams with free Nike jerseys. If we give them ad space, they might do the same for us.

Sounds like a great spot for me. And even if Lee doesn't want to move his team here, maybe we could just start one up in the area. ^_^

Well, I've already signed on to be the player-coach, so putting the team in the Tri-State Area would definitely help me.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

If you want, I'll register the domain and set something up through there as well, in hopes of persuading Yzerfan to perhaps modify the design used by my organization for this project. Yzer?

If we're starting using that as a template, bring it on. I can do that.

If no one's spent money on hosting yet, O6 Web Services will offer to donate space in return for being the Official Web Services Provider of the Wyoming Marinerzz of Vancouver.

I just dropped $13 on a domain name and hosting, but I can split there in a month and redirect the namehosting over to you.

Come June 15, just walk me through it all.

Also, we now have two legitimate team names for this project, the Marinerzz and the CinderFellazz. WHen the time comes, there will be a public "vote."

*Ninja edit: I'm also placing "Ham Fighters" up for consideration.

I know that it would make it less lolABA, but I think Ham Fighters could end up being a great name, especially considering it's kitschy enough, you could make a genuinely great identity and color scheme out of it (imagine, a boxer made of ham. TELL ME YOU WOULDN'T BUY A T-SHIRT.) And if the ultimate goal is moving up into bigger and better things, this could be the name that wouldn't make it look like a joke (even if it is).

Greenville would be good - near perfect, in fact. Raleigh also wouldn't be bad as both WiB and I live here. Who else do we have in the mid-Atlantic?

Memphis also would be a good area - it's smack dab in the middle of the ABA's southern belt.

I can't believe don't already have one!

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

This may not do too much, but you could put AdSense on the website and I'm sure some of us (myself included) would be happy to click on them. A stress reliever -- you know -- "Clicking sessions, for a good cause!"

I'm serious though.

I go away for a day and come back to find that the franchise I am Executive VP of has not only become more than a paper franchise, but has also moved across the damn country! This used to be $40 for laughs, but now you people want to actually field a team? That's some crazy :censored:. I'm just happy I got in on the ground floor.

And speaking of, I'm not halfway to owning a share. Might we have reached that first hundred dollar plateau? That'd be something.

And there seem to be a lot of people happy to make suggestions about what is and isn't possible that aren't as smart as Mad Mac or entertaining as koizim who haven't ponied up a damn thing. Sometimes, you have to pay to play. If you're not willing to part with your allowance, then I think you might want to bite your tongue a bit.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I go away for a day and come back to find that the franchise I am Executive VP of has not only become more than a paper franchise, but has also moved across the damn country! This used to be $40 for laughs, but now you people want to actually field a team? That's some crazy :censored:. I'm just happy I got in on the ground floor.

And speaking of, I'm not halfway to owning a share. Might we have reached that first hundred dollar plateau? That'd be something.

And there seem to be a lot of people happy to make suggestions about what is and isn't possible that aren't as smart as Mad Mac or entertaining as koizim who haven't ponied up a damn thing. Sometimes, you have to pay to play. If you're not willing to part with your allowance, then I think you might want to bite your tongue a bit.

Oh, so now this is an exclusive thread? "Pay to say?" I'm sorry that some of us don't have a spare $40 or a PayPal account, and want to help out/participate in any way possible. I truly am.

Oh, so now this is an exclusive thread? "Pay to say?" I'm sorry that some of us don't have a spare $40 or a PayPal account, and want to help out/participate in any way possible. I truly am.

What makes you think I was talking about you? But, you know, you're right. Any good organization needs a team referee that can't work, can't drive, and doesn't have his own bank account. Sounds perfect to me.

When I was 14, $40 was lot of money, but that's why I had a paper route. Four dollars was certainly nothing at all. Four dollars a week for ten weeks seems like an easily attainable financing plan for some of you younger guys who complain about not having money. I know you buy your video games. Where does that come? We're talking about owning a professional sports franchise here -- that'll not only get you into college, but it'll get you laid too.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

What makes you think I was talking about you? But, you know, you're right. Any good organization needs a team referee that can't work, can't drive, and doesn't have his own bank account. Sounds perfect to me.

When I was 14, $40 was lot of money, but that's why I had a paper route. Four dollars was certainly nothing at all. Four dollars a week for ten weeks seems like an easily attainable financing plan for some of you younger guys who complain about not having money. I know you buy your video games. Where does that come? We're talking about owning a professional sports franchise here -- that'll not only get you into college, but it'll get you laid too.

You know, whenever someone gets excited about something that you started or are a part of, you're the first one to go against them. Yeah, some people who haven't donated yet want to share their ideas, and yet, you're basically saying that by not paying, they have no say in what goes on. This is in the early stages of things as well. Who's to say these people won't contribute to the cause? These people are excited about the possibility of being a part of it, and suddenly you're just trying to act the big dog. You did the same in the wrestling thread when people were debating and you told them not to get excited over big sweaty men in tights fake fighting each other, yet you contribute quite a lot to those threads. Just confuses me a little bit. You were gung-ho from the beginning, and now that others are too, you feel some sort of elite status that feels it should only include a close few.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

It seems you were talking about everyone who didn't pay. (Well everyone who said what is and isn't possible. But still, my original point remains)

I'm not complaining about how much money I have. I don't buy much at all and I certainly wouldn't blow that off on a franchise that (realistically -- oops, now I'm in your target) isn't going far, obviously, without some major revelation on the fundraising front. Plus even if I were to buy in -- how would I possibly transfer the money?

I don't have much more to add. Except the fact that you even buy into the concept of a team referee(thank you NBA for the inspiration) is a minor victory. And calling the ABA a professional league is nothing if not the perfect attitude for the Executive VP of Keeping it Real. Go get 'em!

This thread is about communally owning a basketball team, not me. If you've got a problem with me, there are PMs.

That said, let the record show I continue to be in full support of the CCSLC ABA dream and all the enthusiasm contained therein. I'd be just as likely to visit a franchise in Myrtle Beach as I would in Vancouver, so, yes, let's be all about it.

I love how one of the teams, Long Beach Breakers has its team website on myspace..rofl

Had I thought of that, I could have saved $13 today on domain registration and a month of webspace.

Yzer, the site is accessible; PM Me for details, if you want 'em.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The ABA Toteboard has been updated, as Gitlin puts his money where his mouth is, and ponies up another $16.

Remember- the 10% deposit is non-refundable; if you contribute more than $4, you'll get your money back if this all goes south, less paypal fees.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Okay, a few items to bring up...

(1)

Based on some ballpark estimates taking into account facility rental (of a H.S. gym or very small college facility), travel expenses, front office start-up costs, a year's lease on (cheap) office space, uniforms, saleable merchandise, printing costs for tickets, game programs, media guides, etc., and salaries for players and a bare-bones office staff - all with the idea that the team will not only start a season, but finish it, is in the ballpark of $250,000.

(2)

As I mentioned earlier, wherever this franchise would be placed, there would have to be someone there, in the area, capable of actually running it. This would have to be someone who (i) isn't a blithering idiot, (ii) knows the area somewhat well, (iii) has some marketing savvy, (iv) is willing to work dirt cheap, and most importantly, (v) can be trusted implicitly. Who do we collectively know - and where - that fits that description? This is literally the first question we need to answer.

(3)

I propose that, for sake of preventing argument down the road, the 'ownership group' be formed as a non-profit, membership corporation. This arrangement would (i) generate ongoing income/capital, making the $40 an annual dues payment in exchange for voting membership, (ii) keep only those actively interested in the franchise's operations involved in... the franchise's operations, (iii) give everyone pretty much equal status in terms of decision-making, though of course there'd have to be a hierarchy of some sort, (iv) give us an angle to pitch to local businesses for corporate sponsorship, saying in effect "you're supporting your community's team, as opposed to lining someone's pockets," (v) be structured in a fashion that would meet any "51% owner" guidelines the ABA might have, presuming they have that requirement, and perhaps most importantly, (vi) provide a legal protection of the assets of the members if/when the team goes under.

(4)

After giving things a second thought, I think rather than to buy an ABA franchise with the idea that we'd be the typical team times three (i.e., Atlanta Krunk Wolverines), we might be better suited toward trying to go the Vermont Frost Heaves road: build a quality brand, an entertaining product to present to those who go to games at an affordable price, and maybe even a half-decent basketball team to boot. This means picking a name that's saleable - it's a great inside joke to have a Myrtle Beach Flying Krunk Wrecktanglezz T-shirt, but it's only an inside joke to the six or so people that will actually have one. Make that a Seattle SuperSounds shirt, however, and maybe someone will buy it because they like the team, or the name, rather than to be silly.

(5)

Basketball operations should literally be the LAST thing to worry about. Really. There are 1,000 steps in a process like this, and honestly, we're on step three, maybe.

First is putting a plan in place: who'll run the team, what will make it successful, where will the team be operated, when does the team take the court, why is this being done, and most importantly - how will it be done.

Second is financing: get the money.

Third is internal implementation: set up the corporation, issue initial memberships, identify what roles everyone will play, rent office space, get a phone, secure a lease for a playing facility, identify what the team's name will be and prepare appropriate marketing and merchandising materials, establish ticket and merchandising prices, set up the team's official web site, stuff like that.

Fourth is external implementation: apply for the franchise, prepare media materials in case the team is awarded, etc., etc.

Fifth is announcement: Hey World! We've got a franchise!

nav-logo.png

Archived