All it takes is $40 and a dream.

Lee.

Greenville would be good - near perfect, in fact. Raleigh also wouldn't be bad as both WiB and I live here. Who else do we have in the mid-Atlantic?

Memphis also would be a good area - it's smack dab in the middle of the ABA's southern belt.

Raleigh would also give us the opportunity to name the team the Fingerzz.

OH GOD THAT IS AWESOME.

ABA ball with a 'stache....yeah that's it baby...

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Joliet could be another possibility.

Dont rure this place out. I think you could do well there. they supot their minor leauge Jackhammers and down town Joliet is still rebuilding and looking for a tourist trap so this might be a good place.

Then again I'm biased because I have family from there.

Joliet Jailbirdz, think about it!

Hammond, Indiana, and the alleged Chicago franchise would be easy bus trips. Detroit would also be doable.

Could work with the Ham Fighter fetish.

Hammond Figtherz?

Indiana Ham Fighterz?

Hammond Cheese Fighterz?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Connecticut might work. I know that New Haven has the Lee Amphitheater in the Payne Whitney Gymnasium (Yale plays basketball there). It seats 2,532. Plus, the gym has a number of brand-new practice courts which are open to the public. This gives the team a place to practice if the Amphitheater itself is in use by Yale. Also, New Haven has a strong sports-loving community. They supported the Beast and Ravens; hell, they even supported the New Haven County Cutters. The city has a population of 124,000, and that's just the city itself, not the surrounding towns. The Greater New Haven area as a whole has 571,310 (according to the 2000 census).

As for whether the city will accept you, trust me, it will. It allowed the Independent Baseball League to set up a franchise there. In addition, New Haven has an airport (Tweed Airport) and is located at the intersection of I-95 (stretches from Woodstock, New Brunswick to Miami and is the East Coast's main highway)and I-91 (goes from New Haven to Derby Line, Vermont) which would make transportation a breeze. Finally, New Haven is close enough to other teams so that travel won't be a hassle, but far enough away so that the team will have its own market.

EDIT: Check out the Wikipedia page on New Haven. This might actually work for our home city.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Connecticut might work. I know that New Haven has the Lee Amphitheater in the Payne Whitney Gymnasium (Yale plays basketball there). It seats 2,532. Plus, the gym has a number of brand-new practice courts which are open to the public. This gives the team a place to practice if the Amphitheater itself is in use by Yale. Also, New Haven has a strong sports-loving community. They supported the Beast and Ravens; hell, they even supported the New Haven County Cutters. The city has a population of 124,000, and that's just the city itself, not the surrounding towns. The Greater New Haven area as a whole has 571,310 (according to the 2000 census).

As for whether the city will accept you, trust me, it will. It allowed the Independent Baseball League to set up a franchise there. In addition, New Haven has an airport (Tweed Airport) and is located at the intersection of I-95 (stretches from Woodstock, New Brunswick to Miami and is the East Coast's main highway)and I-91 (goes from New Haven to Derby Line, Vermont) which would make transportation a breeze. Finally, New Haven is close enough to other teams so that travel won't be a hassle, but far enough away so that the team will have its own market.

EDIT: Check out the Wikipedia page on New Haven. This might actually work for our home city.

Yay for Connecticut! Especially with such schools as UConn, UMass, BU, BC, etc in the area, recruiting would be pretty good.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Recruiting? This is the ABA, where talent scouting is the equivalent of the guy who shows up at the bar at 3 a.m., looking for whatever's drunk and available.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think me and LMU would be quite the formidable bench warmers, because I am 6'10" to go with his 7ft right? Although I did play in high school, so I think that might over qualify me talent wise.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Recruiting? This is the ABA, where talent scouting is the equivalent of the guy who shows up at the bar at 3 a.m., looking for whatever's drunk and available.

But why not at least talk to the bench players for these colleges and tell them how playing in the ABA will be much better than bagging groceries? Getting good players would almost guarantee us a good playoff standing and possibly a championship. Also, in Connecticut, we (especially old people) love UConn basketball. Having former players from UConn, no matter how useless they were on the team, will draw attendance. I mean, look at the attendance figures when the Connecticut Sun signed former UConn standout Nykesha Sales (sp?).

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I guess things are really getting going. I will hold onto my money for now, but I will let you know that I can get us a deal on uniforms. Seeing how some teams just use blank reversible warmups, you might look somewhat stylish...or is that not the goal? Who knows anymore. I really wanna try out for the spot on the team for a 5'11" shooting guard with blocking and rebounding abilities. No need to pay me.

But why not at least talk to the bench players for these colleges and tell them how playing in the ABA will be much better than bagging groceries? Getting good players would almost guarantee us a good playoff standing and possibly a championship. Also, in Connecticut, we (especially old people) love UConn basketball. Having former players from UConn, no matter how useless they were on the team, will draw attendance. I mean, look at the attendance figures when the Connecticut Sun signed former UConn standout Nykesha Sales (sp?).

Also, New Haven has Quinnipiac University, Gateway CC, and Yale University (where I'm sure we can find some front office-types) meaning that there will be no shortage of the willing who want to play. Plus, New Haven has a large inner city population and, from what I've seen when I visit my cousin who lives in the Elm City, these cats can flat-out ball. Open tryouts would allow us to field a team that would be at least as competitive as any other in the ABA. If we charge, say, $75 to try out for the team (that's way less than what the Internationalz charge for their tryouts), we might be able to cover some of our early operating costs. I know that a clothing store in the West Haven, which is just outside of New Haven, sponsors various AAU teams with free Nike jerseys. If we give them ad space, they might do the same for us.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Just broke down and sent the money. If this does end up happening, I am on board to be a part of anything that I can, even if that means upending my life here and moving around with the team to do their laundry, or be a scout, or mascot, or waterboy, or PA Announcer (i have 4 years radio experience), or hell, all of it.

How about Milan (my-LHUN), TN? It's right on Hwy 45, about 20 mi. from I-40, and smack dab between Nashville and Memphis. Plus there's an elementary school 2 mi. from my house with an adequate gym. It ought to hold at least 500 people.

So, how 'bout the Milan Marinerzz? :P

Twitter • Facebook • Instagram • LinkedIn • Tumblr

Wow, this is the next big thing!

Well New Haven is great, but if you are still in need of a place I live in a rich suburb that is about to pass its second tax override in five years, has an abundance of multi-millionaires, and a high school with an welcoming 900 seat field house. :D

Oh, and I call being team referee!

I think me and LMU would be quite the formidable bench warmers, because I am 6'10" to go with his 7ft right? Although I did play in high school, so I think that might over qualify me talent wise.

I'm down with that!

VmWIn6B.png

How about Milan (my-LHUN), TN? It's right on Hwy 45, about 20 mi. from I-40, and smack dab between Nashville and Memphis. Plus there's an elementary school 2 mi. from my house with an adequate gym. It ought to hold at least 500 people.

So, how 'bout the Milan Marinerzz? :P

But will people travel there to see an ABA team? It would be best, in my opinion to put it in a place where the residents won't have to travel to see the team. Also, I doubt that an elementary school would be an acceptable facility for a quasi-professional team.

Archived