MLS 2008 All Star Game

Burning River

Perspective of th maple leaf is fine by me. I like the altered appearance to move with the soccer ball. What kind of bugs me is the "spikes" coming from the colored pentagons of the ball. What's the point in them? Doesn't really add to the "motion" of the ball. But nonetheless, still a very solid design. Better than most logos you see around today for events.

The only point to the "spikes" is to form the star.

And obviously to form the points on the maple leaf. I think this is a well done logo, I like a lot of the MLS event logos. Thumbs up!

Completely agree. If they are trying to win over fans by making good logo and all around design decisions, it just might work. After being attracted to most of the league's designs lately I have actually watched 2 matches on TV. Those are the only 2 soccer matches I have ever watched that a relative of mine wasn't involved in...so they are winning me over.

The only point to the "spikes" is to form the star.

And obviously to form the points on the maple leaf. I think this is a well done logo, I like a lot of the MLS event logos. Thumbs up!

Huh, hadn't noticed that. Okay, then. This logo is damn near perfect. And I'm not a soccer fan at all, but I've been kinda thinking about checking out a match or two on tv, if I ever get cable that is.

I've got no problem with this logo, but I think the "Major League Soccer Takes on the World" motto is overstating it a bit. It's MLS vs. a mid-table Premiership side. It will be entertaining, but it's hardly "taking on the world."

I've got no problem with this logo, but I think the "Major League Soccer Takes on the World" motto is overstating it a bit. It's MLS vs. a mid-table Premiership side. It will be entertaining, but it's hardly "taking on the world."

Preach...I think the MLS needs to step up their all star game package. Whether that means playing east versus west or an actual versus the world game with a team of world all stars.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Preach...I think the MLS needs to step up their all star game package. Whether that means playing east versus west or an actual versus the world game with a team of world all stars.

Yeah, but why would "a team of world all stars" do it?

Frankly, given the standing of MLS in the world, I think West Ham is a pretty good fit. Representing arguably the best league in the world, a storied club but not one of the elites.

Yeah, but why would "a team of world all stars" do it?

Frankly, given the standing of MLS in the world, I think West Ham is a pretty good fit. Representing arguably the best league in the world, a storied club but not one of the elites.

I agree. I really like the MLS all-star format and find it appropriate: A mid-level football league takes on a club playing at the highest level. It's a good show and it comes at a time when U.S.-based soccer fans are eager for the Premier League to start up again.

I just wish MLS would quit overstating its place in the world.

That's like looking to an Arena League all-star team to take on nothing but NFL elite players. Yes, it'd be wonderful to see, but you're going to drive away the people you're trying to win over.

This format is fine, as others have said.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Back to the logo. I just look at it and I keep thinking the same thing as I did with this year's Grey Cup logo, just another attempted cutes maple leaf logo trying to emphasis that the game is in Canada. Just plastering a large red maple leaf in a logo doesn't make it good or more Canadian, it just makes it another bad design. Stop forcing the issue and design something that would be unique to the city or the sport. Heck, a soccer ball with leafs as the dots would've been better than this logo.

• 2 months later...
Anyone watching this? Those MLS kits are gawd awful. Hate the colors. But when they show them up close, the material sure looks comfy. Just an ugly looking game from the kit side, with those all light blue West Hams.

I completely agree. I surprised Becks couldn't get an all white kit for the game, which would be 10x better.

Archived