Padres/Indians tonight

nybatt

capt.c0bb49b116ff49ce90d6221203f98aec.padres_indians_baseball_ohmd105.jpg

Dreadful.

The Pads had matching lids for retro day last season. Why couldn't they just break them out again this year?...

1213500123.jpg

I was thinking the exact same thing. I actually attended this game and sat right next to the Padres bullpen. I personally thought that the Padres looked like a college/high school baseball team and the Indians just looked like they were color blind becuase the blues didn't match. There were many fishy things about this game. The Padres wore different batting helmets. The backs of their caps did not feature the MLB logo. All of the players in the bullpen were wearing the navy blue warmup sweaters. And I'm not sure if it was Bell or Hoffman but one of the two was wearing a camo undershirt (Padre issued i'm sure for their camo night). Very funky things.

On a side note, I cannot seem to find the hat that the Padres were wearing last night to buy anywhere. Lids has a similar one but nothing authentic.

You won't find the hat anywhere. IMO one of the main drawbacks to these throwback nights is that, in most cases, do not make the hats available for retail. Part of the problem is the merchandising deal that MLB signed a number of years ago which designated New Era the "on-field" which includes throwbacks hat provider. If you look on the MLB website, the throwbacks are either American Needle or Twins Merchandise. We have numerous discussions regarding quality of hats. Either way, if you find one please post it because I want one too.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the game itself, the Tribe didn't quite capture that 70s feeling at the ballpark, besides the final outcome of the game. Cubs/Braves seems like the new standard to be upheld.

What is so special about the Cubs and Braves that makes them the benchmark? A throwback to me shouldn't have to fit into a frame. It's looking back at historical uniforms that were worn at significant times hence the Tampa Bay Rays having to wear the uniform of some bush league start up that never made it two seasons.

My comment about Braves/Cubs was more about the experience as a whole. Not being there, but being at Progressive Field last night, I didn't get the vibe that the Tribe was into the promotion. As discussed in the Cubs thread, they went all out with the retro TV graphics, retro concession prices, Pepsi vendors in 40s gear. It's a clear difference in philosophy from the Indians' vendors and their highlighter yellow shirts.

The Indians jersey + block C cap I have no problem with and would prefer it over the blue alternate they have now.

Oh. That makes sense. Alot of teams don't do the retro prices anymore. They should, it might sell out a few games with the right opponent. I like the Blue. The cream alt and the vest I could do without.

You won't find the hat anywhere. IMO one of the main drawbacks to these throwback nights is that, in most cases, do not make the hats available for retail. Part of the problem is the merchandising deal that MLB signed a number of years ago which designated New Era the "on-field" which includes throwbacks hat provider. If you look on the MLB website, the throwbacks are either American Needle or Twins Merchandise. We have numerous discussions regarding quality of hats. Either way, if you find one please post it because I want one too.

The Padres sold the 84 caps last year at both Petco Park and at a place called Hat World in Mission Valley Mall in San Diego. I don't know about Petco Park, you can try and call them and see if they have them (I bet they do). Hat World might have them too, though I haven't been there in awhile.

The Padres sold the 84 caps last year at both Petco Park and at a place called Hat World in Mission Valley Mall in San Diego. I don't know about Petco Park, you can try and call them and see if they have them (I bet they do). Hat World might have them too, though I haven't been there in awhile.

I have the 84 cap. The cap from the other night is before they added the orange piping. I tried Petco and they had/have the 84 cap as well.

I miss Roy Rogers they had great burgers

The one here in the Livingston (NJ) Mall just closed recently and the space is being used to expand the Modell's that was nextdoor...

There are still a handful of Roy Rogers left.

I've lived in Connecticut all my life, and I have no clue where North Stonington is... but I sure could go for a Double R Bar Burger right now!.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I actually attended this game and sat right next to the Padres bullpen. I personally thought that the Padres looked like a college/high school baseball team and the Indians just looked like they were color blind becuase the blues didn't match. There were many fishy things about this game. The Padres wore different batting helmets. The backs of their caps did not feature the MLB logo. All of the players in the bullpen were wearing the navy blue warmup sweaters. And I'm not sure if it was Bell or Hoffman but one of the two was wearing a camo undershirt (Padre issued i'm sure for their camo night). Very funky things.

On a side note, I cannot seem to find the hat that the Padres were wearing last night to buy anywhere. Lids has a similar one but nothing authentic.

Um, it being a throwback to 1978, why would they have the MLB logo on the back of their caps?

Moose

Didn't the Tigers do a game against Boston a few years ago in 1909 unis or so? They had collars on their jerseys as I recall.

nomarretro.jpg

Can't find the Tigers.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Boy, the players must really hate the elastic waistbands. Why else would the throwbacks use a belt? It really ruins the overall look, I think.

Does that mean they should also wear the same style of shoes/gloves/bat from that era as well? Retro nights are great but let's stop at the jerseys.

seriously, whats with the lack of elastic belt? thats part of the lore of 1970's-1980s look is the elastic belt. the blue jays "retro night" unis also lack the elastic belt. epic fail on the part of majestic.

Some things are sacrificed for player comfort probably. It does ruin the authenticity as far as look but it is being played in the 21st Century. Truthfully I would never notice if you guys don't point it out.

Some things are sacrificed for player comfort probably. It does ruin the authenticity as far as look but it is being played in the 21st Century. Truthfully I would never notice if you guys don't point it out.

Exactly. 99.8% of the people watching don't notice 99.8% of the mistakes we catch. They see old unis, think "COOL!" and that's as far as it goes.

BTW, I was there last night and caught a few pics myself. Looks like TRUE throwback helmets are kept at the home field so away teams are ignoring it.

2618405453_c6ce78d979.jpg

2619237206_5014563f7c.jpg

2618410037_75a5a43b3d.jpg

2619227602_62789e954d.jpg

2618407149_06375e2014.jpg

I've got more pics from that night here...

Padres-Mariners Retro Night Pictures

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Archived