Mike and Mad Dog (WFAN, NY)

Nesi427

For those that are from the area and aren't yet aware, Chris "Mad Dog" Russo, of the popular Sports Talk Call-In show Mike and the Mad Dog, has left the station after over 20 years. Their daily (1p-630p) show has been simulcast on the YES Network for the past few years so some out of towners may have caught the program on Direct TV or on-line.

I for one will miss the team program, because it was a show that had become a part of my daily routine in the car and at home, and it was something that my Dad turned me on to while I was still in high school, so it's something that we shared too.

It has also been announced that Mike Francessa will become the solo host of a new program on the station in the same time slot beginning in September.

Your thoughts and comments...

spacer.png

FANTASY SPORTS: UBA (NBA): New York Scrapers | CL (MLB): St Pete Beach Clippers

He can move to the Bay Area and join KNBR and rip the Giants all day long since he is a rabid Giants fan.

He wouldn't be the first WFAN afternoon drive host to go from the FAN to KNBR if he did that.

[/Pete Franklin reference]

They'd been together almost 20 years it was time for them to part. The shows they did together were nothing like they used to be the act was growing old.

Maybe now they can get someone who is fluent in English.

At least Francessa will be able to bloviate all alone for 5 hours now. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I liked the show. It was the first I would put on after school. IMO, Russo, although dumber, was much more entertaining. His countless rants and erratic behavior will surely be missed. Doggy was also much more friendlier to callers and their opinions. He'd admit when he was wrong. Fatcessa, on the otherhand, usually starts yelling and gives the hand wave to cut off the caller.

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

The show is gonna go down the tubes now with just Francessa...

The show would go down the tubes as a solo act either way...can you imagine 5 hours of just Mad Dog?

See?

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The show is gonna go down the tubes now with just Francessa...

The show would go down the tubes as a solo act either way...can you imagine 5 hours of just Mad Dog?

See?

I was actually going to write that in my post, but I think that Russo will get people to listen for the same reason people are driven away by him. The show won't be good but it'll be better than just Francessa.

This place really needs an all New York subforum. :puke:

And an all-Trivia sub-forum.....

We have one of those already.

It's called, "The Graveyard."

There comes a point in time when 95% of sports talk shows are the same thing, and that is either the host or host yelling and screaming (as if that makes what you say important or even intelligent), or them throwing out cute lingo like it's cool. Give me a guy who knows sports, doesn't yell, and has no lingo, and you have a listener.

There comes a point in time when 95% of sports talk shows are the same thing, and that is either the host or host yelling and screaming (as if that makes what you say important or even intelligent), or them throwing out cute lingo like it's cool. Give me a guy who knows sports, doesn't yell, and has no lingo, and you have a listener.

The only guy I ever listened to nationally that pulled it off was James Brown.

Self-edit: Mike Tirico is these things too, but he's boring as hell.

Archived