Philadelphia 76ers

fishheatcats

This one took me awhile to come up with the final product. The first thing I wanted to do was go back to pure red/white/blue and lose the gold/black they've had since the late 90s. Secondly I wanted to give the team a real identity, more than just a basketball and some stars. So the idea I came up with was Washington crossing the Delaware, only this time ready to throw down on any British that might be over in New Jersey lol. However after quite some time trying to get it to look right I came to a point where I gave up, but here's that logo anyway:

philascrappedws2.gif

After this I thought of a few things, including Ben Franklin going up for a dunk, and nothing worked out. I tried the Liberty Bell as well, mainly trying to morph the left half into the 7 in 76, but nope. So eventually everything devolved into a classic look... ball, stars, script. None of my new 76 ideas held up to the original, so I kept it and tweaked the old logo for the alternate. The jerseys and pretty straight forward, they kind of clash with the Pistons and Hawks but if any team should be in red/white/blue it should be the Sixers. In confirming how to spell Iguodala on the Sixers website I noticed they are going retro for their 60th anniversary so I hope that they at least go back to that logo full time sometime soon.

philawd2.gif

Love the jerseys a whole lot. But I agree, the logo should say 76ers. On the other hand, I believe league rules state that there can't be any numbers on the front of the jersey except for the player number, in which case 76ers as the jersey wordmark won't work.

Wade-sig.png

Love the jerseys a whole lot. But I agree, the logo should say 76ers. On the other hand, I believe league rules state that there can't be any numbers on the front of the jersey except for the player number, in which case 76ers as the jersey wordmark won't work.

Yep, that's a rule all right.

Swap "Sixers" and "76ers" between the jersey and the logo, like they do now. The George Washington figure is about the only thing somewhat lacking in this concept. I can tell you still need to work on him some. But everything else is rather solid.

I'd opt for a different typeface too. City/Civic is on the verge of becoming one of those fonts that has been used to death, especially in sports. Even in the NBA, you've got Phoenix that uses City Bold as their primary typeface. I don't know if the two would ever be confused for one another, but especially with "PH" in both city names and Ss bookending both nicknames, it's hard for me to look at this without thinking of the Suns.

• The scrapped logo would have been way too detailed for practical use. A nice idea, though.
  • new primary logo features 7 stars. If more than one star is to be used, it needs to be 13. There is no significance to 7 stars.
  • Unis are OK, if a little plain. Plain isn't always the worst thing though. A few things that require attention:
    • Sixers on the white jersey, not 76ers.
    • Sixers on the red jersey, not Phila.
    • Phila on the blue jersey.
    • NBA logo should be on the left shoulder, not the right one.

[*] It doesn't matter to me which jersey is the primary road, but IMO if red-white-blue is the scheme, than the Phila jersey should be the blue one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I liike this, I agree with most comments.

Also, the font is much too similar to the Suns, if you ask me.

Better than what they have now, but still a lot of potential to be better.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

That minuteman looks like he's on a surfboard.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe he was going for the allusion to history.

If not, it's still a pretty clever take. I think the uniforms look fine. I think the simplicity kinda fits with the more "traditional" feel.

Edit: D'oh! Way to read, me. Anyway, I think if you brought the angle of the boat down more, it'd take away some of the surfing comparisons.

I think the current Sixers jerseys are pretty cool.

Thank you for your evaluation of the concept. That's an awesome critique.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived