Texas Rangers "tweaking" uniforms

mania

A few weeks ago, this was mentioned On Uniwatch's blog:

This has to be filed in the ?Rumor? category for now, but Chris Josephson, who?s part of the Rangers? TV crew in Arlington, checked in last night with the following: ?I?ve heard from a few different people in the press box that the Rangers will have a few jersey changes next year. First off, none of the jerseys will say ?Rangers? anymore ? every jersey will have ?Texas,? just like the current road grays and blue alternates. There?s also talk of a red alternate being thrown into the rotation. No word on what it will look like. I personally hate the idea of a red jersey, but fans have been calling for red?s return because the Rangers haven?t made the playoffs since the team got rid of the red about 10 years ago.?

And then today, this via Evan Grant, DMN:

I am told that there will definitely be a ?tweak? to the uniform scheme for next season and that red will be more heavily incorporated (pausing to allow red uni fans to shoot their hurrahs).

Now, that you are back with us, my understanding is that a solid red alternate top (think Atlanta Braves) will be used along with the solid blue alternate top. Most importantly, the red cap is expected to return as an accompaniment to the red tops.

Excited about seeing red again at the park?

The Texas on all jerseys rumor is still unsubstantiated, but everything else is confirmed by someone pretty close to the team and on top of things.

I'm hoping they take this opportunity to completely drop black as an accent color.

Now all we need is for the vest to be eliminated and I will be one happy man.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Well it was one of the best uniforms before the Angels ripped it off and made it even better.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well it was one of the best uniforms before the Angels ripped off and made it even better.

As long as the Rangers dont look too much like the Angels, I think all will be fine.

And how do you purpose that happen?

"Texas" on every uniform?

If I remember it correctly, every home jersey in baseball has the team's nickname and/or their cap logo on the front.

The Rangers will certainly look strange if they try to change it up.

bYhYmxh.png

Others have offered solid reasons why more red is a bad idea for the Rangers. But my primary objection would not be based on looking too much like the Angels. It would be that Texas already has a baseball team that uses a shade of red as its primary non-black color. The reason the Angels were wise to ditch the blue from their identity is that the cross-town Dodgers own blue, so the red differentiates them in the market.

Now, I know Texas isn't exactly like greater Los Angeles as a sports market. But it's close enough for this to matter; the Texans I know tend to follow either the Astros or the Rangers, not both.

So the Astros have black and dark red. The Rangers have royal blue. Both teams have entirely different visual identities as a result. Start bringing back red uniform elements, and suddenly the Rangers start to lose their distinctive identity inside Texas. And for a team with relatively weak fan loyalty beyond DFW to begin with, that's just not a smart marketing move.

20082614447.png

so the mavericks will have a home and road that both say DALLAS

the stars will have a home and road-colored-alternate that both say DALLAS

and the rangers will have a home and road and multiple alts that say TEXAS.

who needs team names? :)

lol

our soccer team doesn't even have a name. just FC DALLAS.

Well, if they go red with the white script 'Rangers" from their BP it might be different enough. Of course, that's if anything is allowed to say "Rangers." What an odd trend for Dallas sports.

Their current font in red-on-white or white-on-red would bring back the 1995 Angels-Rangers conflicts. Too similar. In font and actual letters. (Although the larger A helps, I guess.)

If I remember it correctly, every home jersey in baseball has the team's nickname and/or their cap logo on the front.

The Yankees and Blue Jays don't and Tampa Bay didn't from 2001-2007... there may be more outside located the AL East :P

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

The Yankees and Blue Jays don't and Tampa Bay didn't from 2001-2007... there may be more outside located the AL East :P

Neither do the Tigers. :P

And the Diamondbacks... I think that's all of them

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived