MLB 2009

mania

Back when the Twins wore these did the batting helmets match the caps?

For yesterdays game they used the blue batting helmet with the TC. The base coaches wore the helmets with the white front.

I believe these were always paired with the helmet with a blue crown, white front panel and red brim (like Joe Mauer wears when he is catching).

I wish the Twins would go all out then and wear the helmets that would go with those jerseys.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm probably in the minority, but I think those "retro" Twins uniforms don't look good at all. I'm just not a fan of that script especially compared to their current one. Perhaps I'm too accustomed to their regular look, but I'm not feelin' these.

I'm in the minority with you. Perhaps because I'm old enough to remember when the Twins actually wore uniforms like this. They weren't particularly good uniforms at the time, the Twins were pretty much always embarrassingly bad when they wore them, and that script is an absolute disaster. On purely objective grounds, it's a terrible script. These are uniforms that entirely lack either quality or history, and anyway this year's "throwback" version gets too many of the details wrong for my taste.

For those who don't remember, the transition from the pre-1986 Twins uniforms to the original version of their current set, in which they would win the 1987 World Series, represented not only one of the biggest improvements any team's uniform has ever seen, but also set the bar for the generally excellent uniform redesigns that would take place over the following fifteen years as teams moved away from the pullover era and returned to simpler, more classically styled button-front uniforms.

20082614447.png

I'm probably in the minority, but I think those "retro" Twins uniforms don't look good at all. I'm just not a fan of that script especially compared to their current one. Perhaps I'm too accustomed to their regular look, but I'm not feelin' these.

I'm in the minority with you. Perhaps because I'm old enough to remember when the Twins actually wore uniforms like this. They weren't particularly good uniforms at the time, the Twins were pretty much always embarrassingly bad when they wore them, and that script is an absolute disaster. On purely objective grounds, it's a terrible script. These are uniforms that entirely lack either quality or history, and anyway this year's "throwback" version gets too many of the details wrong for my taste.

For those who don't remember, the transition from the pre-1986 Twins uniforms to the original version of their current set, in which they would win the 1987 World Series, represented not only one of the biggest improvements any team's uniform has ever seen, but also set the bar for the generally excellent uniform redesigns that would take place over the following fifteen years as teams moved away from the pullover era and returned to simpler, more classically styled button-front uniforms.

I don't think we can give the Twins credit for anything regarding a move away from the pullover era. In 1987, the year of the Twins change, FOUR other teams made the switch as well: Braves, Mariners, A's and White Sox. (That year the Astros also eliminated the rainbow front jerseys, and the Pirates the pillbox hat.) Several teams had already changed earlier in the '80s, i.e. Indians, Padres, Cleveland, Texas, KC, Giants, etc.

Do you know who should really get credit for ushering the return to tradition? The Red Sox. In 1979, at the height of pullovers, colored jerseys and stripes, the Sox went back to the '30s for belts, buttons and a road uni that made Penn State look like University of Oregon. Within a few years everyone followed suit.

I don't think we can give the Twins credit for anything regarding a move away from the pullover era. In 1987, the year of the Twins change, FOUR other teams made the switch as well: Braves, Mariners, A's and White Sox. (That year the Astros also eliminated the rainbow front jerseys, and the Pirates the pillbox hat.) Several teams had already changed earlier in the '80s, i.e. Indians, Padres, Cleveland, Texas, KC, Giants, etc.

Do you know who should really get credit for ushering the return to tradition? The Red Sox. In 1979, at the height of pullovers, colored jerseys and stripes, the Sox went back to the '30s for belts, buttons and a road uni that made Penn State look like University of Oregon. Within a few years everyone followed suit.

I don't think Ballwonk was saying they are responsible for the pullover to traditional change. I think he is saying the Twins' change happened as the pullover era was coming to a close, and the change that they did make set the bar.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

HAIL RED SOX

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't think Ballwonk was saying they are responsible for the pullover to traditional change. I think he is saying the Twins' change happened as the pullover era was coming to a close, and the change that they did make set the bar.

Correct, and apologies if I was unclear. I'd call the Twins switch in 1986 a sort of high-water mark for the transition away from pullovers. Prior to the Twins, much of the pullover-to-button transition had a bit of a hesitant feel, as though teams hadn't really figured out what comes next in terms of uniform design. But starting in 86/87, and continuing through the 1990s, there were a lot of excellent uniform redesigns that were more about what the full-button jersey can be, rather that being about what the pullover jersey was not. I don't mean to say that the Twins caused this shift so much as to cite them as a seminal example of it.

Point is that the current Twins unis were kind of a big deal back in the winter of 86-87, and with good reason. I'll be sorely disappointed if the Twins continue using any of the pre-1987 uniform after this swan song season. If the Twins are to make any changes to their uniforms for the new ballpark, I pray that they stop looking backwards and start looking forward -- which is exactly why their redesign in 1986 was so successful.

(And sorry to be confusing about the years -- although the original version of their current uniforms debuted in 1987, I distinctly remember following the redesign in the latter half of the '86 season, after the Pohlads bought the team. Not sure if this was general media reporting of the impending changes, or if it was just privileged information from my dad, who was close to a number of Twins execs, but my experience of and excitement about the Twins unis came in the last months of 1986. Plus the design work was actually done in '86.)

20082614447.png

I noticed that. That actually put my hopes up of them finally ditching that ugly road hat. I wish they would go back to using the green and yellow hat full time.

Hope not, I love the green hats. Maybe just a mistake or something.

I didn't like the road hat for the Cubs when it first came out. I can't deside if I miss it our not. I really like the all blue cap.

I am glad the Cubs are still the only team with the 3D type sticker on the batting helmet. I think there are a few other teams that should go with the 3D sticker on the batting helmet.

I can't make it out but the Astros have a some sort of Anniversary logo on the side of their cap.

The new Nats road jerseys in action:

26d80e95-3187-4419-8a23-3fbbe94ef5a0.jpg17ec75e7-8bda-4bc2-9cb2-2e58ba96acc2.jpg

I like the front of the uniform and the hat. The back number now looks out of place.

I agree. The numbers need to be changed. There are really out of place compared to the cursiveness of the rest of the uniform.

jNTsTyQ.png

-washington script is awsome

-jays patches look fine too me, i think the jays should emphasize thier canadian spirit more and should go back to the 98-03 unis

-texas texans looks awsome in red, i like it alot better then the blue unis

-idn about the twins, i like the red hat, script im not feeling

-mets should have a blue alt jesey

-mets and yankees are wearing hat with patches for new stadiums on th road this season (dont really like that)

-yankees wearing inagural season at yankee stadium patch on road unis ( not liking that either)

-cubs look better in all blue road hat, but the hat looks navy compard to blue alt jersey

-orioles look better overall

Mets, Jets, Islanders

Braves now have all-blue batting helmets. combine that with the all blue caps and the all blue shirts... and they just dont look like the Braves on the road anymore!!

But 2-0 Baby!!!

i would like the unis better if they script was red or white... but all blue looks really bad to me. lol @ world champ phils being 0-2 , i should watch my words though.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

Braves now have all-blue batting helmets. combine that with the all blue caps and the all blue shirts... and they just dont look like the Braves on the road anymore!!

But 2-0 Baby!!!

i would like the unis better if they script was red or white... but all blue looks really bad to me. lol @ world champ phils being 0-2 , i should watch my words though.

Damn straight - just wait until September :evil:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived