MLB 2009

mania

The Rangers look last night was a mess. I like seeing more red brought back, but the red hat with the blue lettering and numbers on the jersey was just awful. Also, I cannot stand having Texas on the front of the home whites.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Rangers look last night was a mess. I like seeing more red brought back, but the red hat with the blue lettering and numbers on the jersey was just awful. Also, I cannot stand having Texas on the front of the home whites.

Red socks and red undershirts also looked out of place with the blue lettering.

Funny that the Rangers are using what amounts to the reverse of what other teams have done (Phillies throwbacks included) and yet it looks so off. Still, I don't absolutely hate it. Is it a red vs. royal blue thing or are we just so used to seeing blue as the dominant color in this setup that it looks wrong?

Navy reverse versions that come to mind are the Braves and Indians, but they don't look nearly as wrong to me as the Phillies throwbacks with blue helmets or this.

Personally, I think the Phillies throwbacks would look better with the red cap and helmet, and the Rangers homes would be better with a blue cap -- at least they had the sense to use red undershirts and socks. That blue cap may never come back if they stay hot.

Funny that the Rangers are using what amounts to the reverse of what other teams have done (Phillies throwbacks included) and yet it looks so off. Still, I don't absolutely hate it. Is it a red vs. royal blue thing or are we just so used to seeing blue as the dominant color in this setup that it looks wrong?

Navy reverse versions that come to mind are the Braves and Indians, but they don't look nearly as wrong to me as the Phillies throwbacks with blue helmets or this.

Personally, I think the Phillies throwbacks would look better with the red cap and helmet, and the Rangers homes would be better with a blue cap -- at least they had the sense to use red undershirts and socks. That blue cap may never come back if they stay hot.

If you're going to mix two dramatically different colors, it is always preferable to have the darker color at the end (cap.) I don't like the Nats or Cards navy caps with predominately red uniforms, but it looks a lot better to red caps with predominately navy unis.

I also think that caps, shoes, belts, and socks should match... but that's a debate for another time.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If you're going to mix two dramatically different colors, it is always preferable to have the darker color at the end (cap.) I don't like the Nats or Cards navy caps with predominately red uniforms, but it looks a lot better to red caps with predominately navy unis.

I also think that caps, shoes, belts, and socks should match... but that's a debate for another time.

Yeah, I agree. That's kind of where I was trying to go with this... but what about two "equal" colors -- a bright red and a bright blue. Why is it that blue seems acceptable but red looks so wrong. Or is blue technically the darker of the two regardless of if it's navy or royal?

And I think maybe all this trouble comes about when the matching you mention doesn't happen. Anyway, this is a cool, unscheduled uni quirk the Rangers have provided just 3 days in. (And after seeing a few more pics -- I'm liking it more.)

Yeah, I agree. That's kind of where I was trying to go with this... but what about two "equal" colors -- a bright red and a bright blue. Why is it that blue seems acceptable but red looks so wrong. Or is blue technically the darker of the two regardless of if it's navy or royal?

And I think maybe all this trouble comes about when the matching you mention doesn't happen. Anyway, this is a cool, unscheduled uni quirk the Rangers have provided just 3 days in. (And after seeing a few more pics -- I'm liking it more.)

IMO, yes. If it was light blue, then it'd probably be a different story.

This is just friggin' ridiculous:

IMG_5271.jpg

They might as well just arrange the letters in a full circle around the number.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I want that name and number font!

1. Take the standard baseball block font.

2. Add pointy things around the edges, at corners and intersections, or wherever you feel is proper.

3. Voila!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

IMG_5271.jpg

Jeebus. Thank your lucky stars he wears a double-digit number with a 1 in it; if there were two full-width numbers, his name would run under his armpits.

Send that pic to Paul at Uniwatch. Stat.

Did the Rangers switch to the wordmark font for the NOBs this year?

Yup. It's a proprietary font (dubbed "Wart" font by Lukas, I think) to match the new numbers.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Did the Rangers switch to the wordmark font for the NOBs this year?

Yup. It's a proprietary font (dubbed "Wart" font by Lukas, I think) to match the new numbers.

Their different, they just took the basic baseball block font and added the thorns to it. Slightly changed the 'S' in the NOB's, but other than that, it's block. The wordmark is still it's seperate, curvy/thorned self.

IMG_5271.jpg

That's awful. It was originally supposed to read "SALTA..." but the uniform manufacturer did not have any sew-on punctuation.

IMG_5271.jpg

If I were a Rangers fan, I'd so rock that.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

IMG_5271.jpg

Why is it that it's always the little guys with long names, like "Garciaparra" or "Van Landingham", then we've got big dudes with "Kruk" on the back?

Archived