Is it just me or are NFL uniform rules being WAY under-enforced?

devilray2k1

I've seen teams where some players are wearing all black cleats and others are wearing white (raiders & packers primarily seem to not all be on the same page when they get on the field)

I've seen a game last year or year before I think where Clinton Portis wore some all dark red/maroon cleats with dark red tape and the dark red socks (when the rest of the team was wearing the white socks with the stripes like they usually do when wearing the maroon pants) and I wondered how in the world he got away with that and no one said anything...

recievers and corners REGULARLY have their full knee exposed, and I remember watching a game on monday night once where the refs actually paused before a play and made the players pull their pants down so their knees weren't exposed, and once even hearing some commentator once point out the fact that you have to wear white socks above the shoes and have a reasonable amount showing or else you'd get a fine (instead of the look a lot of DBs and recievers get away with where they have the solid sock color going all the way down to the cleats without any breakup with white)

lots of players rarely strap up their chinstraps, and I remember when players were more aware of not having it strapped up, other teammates reminding them or going over to strap it for them, etc...

shirts untucked...linemen wearing the 'wife-beater' style jerseys to cutback on grabbing..

it's a mess out there!

A lot of these things probably are being enforced - in the way of insignificant fines. I agree a lot of these things look bush league. The only thing you mentioned that I'm not against is the untucked jersey thing - at least when the jersey is tailored properly so it doesn't appear to be untucked. Many players seem to be going to this look now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Honestly, probably 99.9% of the fanbase doesn't really give a crap. People watch for wins and losses, not who looks good on a fashion runway. I don't think any coach is going to save his job, going 2-14, simply because they were the best dressed team on the field. :rolleyes:

Honestly, probably 99.9% of the fanbase doesn't really give a crap. People watch for wins and losses, not who looks good on a fashion runway. I don't think any coach is going to save his job, going 2-14, simply because they were the best dressed team on the field. :rolleyes:

This entire forum is the ".1" that actually gives a crap.

I kind of find it a bit hypocritical for someone to post about uniform rules being under enforced while another board member is complaining about the NFL being the No Fun League and how players can't be individuals based on how they have their uniforms. I've seen both complaints. If a receiver wants to wear no pads over his knees and screw them up and shorten his career effectively losing millions of dollars, this is a free market economy, let him screw up his knees.

i care about the actual uniforms and logos and colors that are being worn by the players... how they wear them, however, doesn't matter to me.

i don't care what color shoes they wear, or if there's a correct white/color ratio on the socks...

however, i do care enough to think the titans navy blue pants look awful with navy blue socks, and be annoyed by an NFL team having 2 different sets of white pants.

i think there's a middle ground that i fit into... and i'm glad the nfl appears to be at least less public about all the stupid fines they put out there.

fine people for cheapshots. fine people for saying idiotic things. don't fine them for wearing their socks the "wrong" way.

Does the colour of the shoes really matter?

Feet are something that is very individualised, as a runner I know you can't run in any shoes, you have to have the right shoe. The right width, shape, height, depth cushioning, arch etc. Surely they don't make team design shoes that are individualised to each player.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I somewhat agree with this. However, with situations like this I think if there are rules in place you have 2 choices; get rid of the rule or enforce it. This is the NFL, not our Gov't, if we aren't going to enforce a rule couldn't a couple people just decide to take it ?off the books??

team - cooperatively functioning group: a number of people organized to function cooperatively as a group

uniform - a distinctive set of clothes worn to identify somebody's occupation, affiliation, or status

So isn't the point of a 'team' wearing a 'uniform' that everybody looks the same? B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I kind of find it a bit hypocritical for someone to post about uniform rules being under enforced while another board member is complaining about the NFL being the No Fun League and how players can't be individuals based on how they have their uniforms. I've seen both complaints.

Unless the same person wrote both posts, it's neither a bit nor a lot "hypocritical".

Different people may have different opinions. Wonderful thing, free will.

THANK YOU!

You beat me to it.

I personally love the all colored sock look from knee to shoe, but that's just me.

yeah I actually love it too

I'd go so far as to say you could eliminate the white sock all together and go for the solid color all the way down for all I care

I love it when teams in college have the full sock color...

I've seen a game last year or year before I think where Clinton Portis wore some all dark red/maroon cleats with dark red tape and the dark red socks (when the rest of the team was wearing the white socks with the stripes like they usually do when wearing the maroon pants) and I wondered how in the world he got away with that and no one said anything...

PH2005111002040.jpg

??

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I took this pic in the Browns locker room before last season.

Its not the best pic (bad angle) but I think it applies somewhat to the topic at hand.

NFLunifromreules.jpg

I have this poster hanging in my office (grabbed it out of a trashcan outside the locker at last year's Hall of Fame Game... yeah, yeah, I know) and there are dozens of rules that are broken every game. The ones that really drive me crazy are the sleeve rules.. it says they must cover the pads... listening, Hovan?

Does the colour of the shoes really matter?

Feet are something that is very individualised, as a runner I know you can't run in any shoes, you have to have the right shoe. The right width, shape, height, depth cushioning, arch etc. Surely they don't make team design shoes that are individualised to each player.

You would be surprised..

Archived