Detroit Lions Championship shirts

scraw28

If this is successful, I bet the NFL will start selling their own very, very soon. Nothing they won't do for some extra cash.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Just a stretch here, but can the team/league do anything on the trademark front for the two vertical lines?

Not sure. The other thing they could look at is if the shirt uses any proprietary color, that could be grounds for a suit too (though I doubt that's the case here.) The other thing I was thinking, is that the league could say that the scores of those games are their property, and that by referring to the date, the city, and the score, that there's some kind of infringement there (even though the actual trademarked nicknames aren't used.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just a stretch here, but can the team/league do anything on the trademark front for the two vertical lines?

Not sure. The other thing they could look at is if the shirt uses any proprietary color, that could be grounds for a suit too (though I doubt that's the case here.) The other thing I was thinking, is that the league could say that the scores of those games are their property, and that by referring to the date, the city, and the score, that there's some kind of infringement there (even though the actual trademarked nicknames aren't used.)

I don't have the cites in front of me, but the courts have long since established that facts cannot be copyrighted. I know the Feist case was one of them, but there was another one that referenced Feist involving sports information. As it would apply to the shirts, those scores are not protected and thus free to be referenced.

You may have something on the color front, however. What was the shirts case involving the colleges (I think just using the name of the state, such as "Tennessee", "Michigan", or "Oklahoma" in a generic font) in official colors?

I've not have my coffee yet...

Archived