2010 Final Four Logo

pcgd

I don't know Pat, the Soldiers and Sailors Monument is a bit of an icon, but not one where you instantly say "That's Indianapolis".

Regardless, it is a pretty nice rendering of the skyline, even if that view is impossible to get. From Lucas Oil you are not able to see the Hall of Champions but of course we know why it is in there (being an NCAA building).

I agree with the verdict though, good but not great.

Here it is:

2010mbbfinal4-large.jpg

Nothing fancy...its hard to have an icon in a logo when the city has no icon to speak of.

Its a meh from me. Its not awful but its not great.

I actually like it living in Indy... I'll be there (most likely)... the stadium is beautiful... joshuamings, you make a good point with the HofC... and although the Soldiers and Sailors Monument is an icon for the city here, I highly doubt someone in New York knows what it is as opposed to the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, the Alamo in San Antonio, or peaches to Atlanta and Georgia. I'd rather have this than an ear of corn. :D

6fQjS3M.png

Not sure I'd go as far as to say Indy has no icons... just not any that wouldn't cause confusion in this type of logo (Hinkle Fieldhouse and Indy Cars/Speedway).

In other esoteric, only-bringing-it-up-cause-it-pisses-me-off-and-I-need-to-vent news, the Milwaukee County Exec (who only got elected by blatantly smearing his more qualified opponent and pandering to suburbanites) claimed Milwaukee doesn't need light rail because Indianapolis doesn't have it and is apparently a model urban center that other cities should look up to. :rolleyes:

Not sure I'd go as far as to say Indy has no icons... just not any that wouldn't cause confusion in this type of logo (Hinkle Fieldhouse and Indy Cars/Speedway).

In other esoteric, only-bringing-it-up-cause-it-pisses-me-off-and-I-need-to-vent news, the Milwaukee County Exec (who only got elected by blatantly smearing his more qualified opponent and pandering to suburbanites) claimed Milwaukee doesn't need light rail because Indianapolis doesn't have it and is apparently a model urban center that other cities should look up to. :rolleyes:

WTF...

And we may get it for the Super Bowl in 2012.

6fQjS3M.png

Here it is:

2010mbbfinal4-large.jpg

Nothing fancy...its hard to have an icon in a logo when the city has no icon to speak of.

I actually like it living in Indy... I'll be there (most likely)... the stadium is beautiful... joshuamings, you make a good point with the HofC... and although the Soldiers and Sailors Monument is an icon for the city here, I highly doubt someone in New York knows what it is as opposed to the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, the Alamo in San Antonio, or peaches to Atlanta and Georgia. I'd rather have this than an ear of corn. :D

That stadium is most definitely not beautiful. It is a typical Midwest Industrial Warehouse. Talk to any architect in the city, they have the same sentiments about it as I do. It is way too massive, and uses the context of the surrounding area in a very wrong way. When you attempt to recreate a certain aesthetic of a bygone era, not only does it usually fail, it also cheapens what you were attempting to recreate.

Alright, enough of my architecture rant. Back to the logo.

I thought I'd join in on the Indy sub-forum we've got going here.

I think the logo is better compared to some in the past, but is not great. I'd think a somewhat generic logo is more desirable than one that tries too hard (like Detroit 09).

And fwiw. I'm no architect, but I really like the look of the new stadium. A little barn like, but very fitting for a rural region.

Here it is:

2010mbbfinal4-large.jpg

They could draw an airplane flying over it. budum ching. Folks!

PvO6ZWJ.png

Sorry I should have phrased that better. No icon that's known outside of indy. Soldiers and Sailors Monument is known around here as an icon, and you could say the circle with a star is kinda a symbol (Circle City).

I mean you could go with Indy Racing/the 500. Those really put Indianapolis on the map outside the midwest. However, a car on a basketball logo would be odd to me. Perhaps something with Bricks or checkered flags could have been done.

Here it is:

2010mbbfinal4-large.jpg

They could draw an airplane flying over it. budum ching. Folks!

The real shame is that the 2006 Final Four logo may be the best of the bunch. Both of them. I really hate this Final Four font as well...

Here it is:

2010mbbfinal4-large.jpg

That stadium is most definitely not beautiful. It is a typical Midwest Industrial Warehouse. Talk to any architect in the city, they have the same sentiments about it as I do. It is way too massive, and uses the context of the surrounding area in a very wrong way. When you attempt to recreate a certain aesthetic of a bygone era, not only does it usually fail, it also cheapens what you were attempting to recreate.

Alright, enough of my architecture rant. Back to the logo.

Well, its a FOOTBALL stadium...what can you expect? I'd challenge you to name any professional football stadium in the country that truly lends any kind of REAL beauty to the surrounding area. Football stadiums, by nature, are eyesores. Even the new Cowboys stadium, which looks fantastic would look like a complete eyesore if plunked in any downtown area of any major city in the country.

While I agree with you on the whole "Midwest industrial warehouse" comment of the dome, I think it does still do a pretty decent job of hiding the fact that its a big stadium eyesore. I'd rather look at the outside of Lucas Oil Field over the Meadowlands or Soldier Field anyday.

You want a true eyesore? Geez, look at Soldier Field. It looks like a spaceship decided to park on top of some old Greek or Roman ruins.

You want a true eyesore? Geez, look at Soldier Field. It looks like a spaceship decided to park on top of some old Greek or Roman ruins.

I know I'm very much in the minority on this one but I really like New Solider Field. I think the contrast of old meets new fits the city perfectly.

That's just me. I like the outside of Lucas Oil because it resembles a barn, but it doesn't flow with the rest of the city at all. Really the only stadiums that do that are Baseball Stadiums (New Busch is a good example...same color bricks as the surounding buildings), and I think the size has a big part to do with it.

The inside concourses of LOS kinda sucks though. Doesn't feel like a stadium at all...feels like a Mall.

I know I'm very much in the minority on this one but I really like New Solider Field. I think the contrast of old meets new fits the city perfectly.

That's just me. I like the outside of Lucas Oil because it resembles a barn, but it doesn't flow with the rest of the city at all. Really the only stadiums that do that are Baseball Stadiums (New Busch is a good example...same color bricks as the surounding buildings), and I think the size has a big part to do with it.

The inside concourses of LOS kinda sucks though. Doesn't feel like a stadium at all...feels like a Mall.

I agree with you completely on the difference between baseball and football stadiums and how they embrace the surrounding architecture. A perfect example is Camden Yards. Its just georgous from inside and outside. By contrast, look at M&T stadium right next door....complete eyesore. I just don't understand why professional football stadiums can't find a happy medium.

Many college football stadiums can do it. Look at the soon to be refurbished Michigan Stadium. It will not only look good but blend in fairly well with the campus. Maybe the NFL should take a gander at some college stadium designs from time to time.

I agree with you completely on the difference between baseball and football stadiums and how they embrace the surrounding architecture. A perfect example is Camden Yards. Its just georgous from inside and outside. By contrast, look at M&T stadium right next door....complete eyesore. I just don't understand why professional football stadiums can't find a happy medium.

Hey, I'll readily admit my personal bias, but...

home_main6.jpg

Hey, I'll readily admit my personal bias, but...

home_main6.jpg

Still a bit of an eyesore, but about as close to pretty as any professional football stadium will get. ^_^

The funny thing is that I've always thought that Lambeau kind of embodied that traditional and pure "college football stadium" feel that I love about many of the NCAA's stadiums. I wondered if the new renovation would ruin that feel, and thankfully it hasn't.

Archived