Red Sox Make push for All-Star Game

Pharos04

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article....sp&c_id=bos

Personally, and slightly because I'm a Sox fan, Fenway deserves to host the All-Star Game that year. It will be the first Major League park that has survived 100 years. It will be a year long celebration and MLB should take full advantage of it. I understand that Boston hosted back in 1999 but this is a once (maybe twice should Wrigley continue striving) occurance that should be embraced and acknowledged throughout baseball. Fenway 2012, Wrigley 2014!

Thoughts? Objections?

I say let teams that haven't had it in a while or at all before Boston and Chicago. Miami, Tampa Bay and Phoenix have yet to host it. New York City has already hosted it with the Yankees and we don't need one for the Mets. Why not Washington D.C. At least give it to someone who hasn't had it in the last 12 years

This isn't about fairness or rotations. While I understand that the fans/residents of Phoenix, Miami, Tampa, Chicago, or Washington may want the game, they sure as hell don't deserve anything. Hell, you can argue that Miami, Tampa, and Washington don't even deserve their teams.

Bottom line, you want people to watch stuff on TV, attend the events, spend money, and you want companies to buy ads. Boston is one of few Major League cities left that are "baseball-first" towns, they are one of the select few teams with a national profile, and when you add in the historic significance of the 100 years in Fenway Park, it should be a no-brainer. However, that's exactly why it won't happen.

They can even bring out Ted Williams' head and have all the players take pictures with it. C'mon, it'll be fun!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

This isn't about fairness or rotations. While I understand that the fans/residents of Phoenix, Miami, Tampa, Chicago, or Washington may want the game, they sure as hell don't deserve anything. Hell, you can argue that Miami, Tampa, and Washington don't even deserve their teams.

Bottom line, you want people to watch stuff on TV, attend the events, spend money, and you want companies to buy ads. Boston is one of few Major League cities left that are "baseball-first" towns, they are one of the select few teams with a national profile, and when you add in the historic significance of the 100 years in Fenway Park, it should be a no-brainer. However, that's exactly why it won't happen.

They can even bring out Ted Williams' head and have all the players take pictures with it. C'mon, it'll be fun!

He could be the only player in Cooperstown that instead of just a bust, has his entire head on display.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sorry. St. Louis, one of the best baseball cities and definitely a baseball first city, waited 43 years for an All Star Game, and only got it because we've got a new stadium.

Boston deserves nothing.

I won't freak out if they get it. 100 years is at least a decent reason.

But I don't think they SHOULD.

To be fair, St. Louis had an awful, cookie cutter cement ashtray with a painted-green concrete playing surface for a stadium.

That's true to an extent, but that didn't stop other cities from having games. Besides, anytime from 1996 when they made beautiful renovations and went back to grass to about 2003 (when it became apparent a new stadium was in the works), would have been a viable time for the game.

But they went to new stadiums, and I understand that.

Why make the exceptions now?

Is New Yankee stadium supposed to get the game anytime soon or did they have the choice between having it in the final year or having one early on in the life of the new stadium?

Because that'd be ridiculous to have three ASGs in NY in a very short span.

Nah, they just hosted it less than a decade ago. Let the new parks have a shot.

But lets not forget Pittsburgh 1994, 2006.

Of course, I disagreed with that and I disagree with this.

Two separate stadia there, but frankly I agree - Pittsburgh shouldn't have had the game twice in thirteen years, and Boston shouldn't get it in 2012, anniversary or not.

nav-logo.png

First off, I know I'm a Met fan and all, but just because the Yankees hosted it last year doesn't mean the Mets shouldn't be allowed to anytime soon, because they hosted it only once--when Shea opened in 1964, and that was 42 years ago and counting. I understand it's the same city, but in no way should this be a "2004 NBA All-Star Game 2 Hosts" situation...

Secondly, that'd be nice if KC wasn't promised either the 2012 or 2014 game, and with Minnesota's new park, they're an obvious choice.

By the way, as an aside, how does it make you feel that the 3rd oldest NL Park is now Dolphin Stadium, and the 4th oldest is Coors Field?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

First off, I know I'm a Met fan and all, but just because the Yankees hosted it last year doesn't mean the Mets shouldn't be allowed to anytime soon, because they hosted it only once--when Shea opened in 1964, and that was 42 years ago and counting. I understand it's the same city, but in no way should this be a "2004 NBA All-Star Game 2 Hosts" situation...

Secondly, that'd be nice if KC wasn't promised either the 2012 or 2014 game, and with Minnesota's new park, they're an obvious choice.

By the way, as an aside, how does it make you feel that the 3rd oldest NL Park is now Dolphin Stadium, and the 4th oldest is Coors Field?

That is weird

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

2009 - St. Louis

2010 - Los Angeles of Anaheim

2011 - Arizona

2012 - Kansas City

2013 - New York (Mets)

2014 - Minnesota

2015 - Washington

Well, I guess it's all a moot point, huh?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived