Plaxico Burress Shoots Himself

njmeadowlanders

Say all you want but for all we know Plaxico could have been goin into that bar and opening fire later that night. Just sayin'...

Why are you just sayin' it though? He didn't open fire. What's done is done. Intent was not the issue. Plax's lawyer tried to take that angle and got shot down (pun fully intended).

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say all you want but for all we know Plaxico could have been goin into that bar and opening fire later that night. Just sayin'...

Why are you just sayin' it though? He didn't open fire. What's done is done. Intent was not the issue. Plax's lawyer tried to take that angle and got shot down (pun fully intended).

im a sucker for good ole puns. what a set up.......and superb execution. :D

Vikings.png

VikingsCards.png

H.H.H. Metrodome - The greatest dome in the history of Minneapolis.

Say all you want indeed. For all we know, you could be a serial killer just waiting to happen. Or perhaps you could be the type who is going to climb a clock tower and shoot 23 people. Or maybe you are one day going to be arrested for gross sexual imposition with 35 different women. Maybe you're going to become the next Bernie Madoff. Are you getting a better idea of how flawed your thinking was on this one? Maybe Plax would have used that same gun to save the lives of two women who were being attacked in the parking lot too. And so on...

In this country we try people on what actually happened not what could have happened junior. Just sayin'...

BB52Big.jpg

debate the "shoulda woulda coulda" all you want. the law in New York City is very strict and very clear for very good reasons. He broke the law, he should do his time. Good on him for manning up.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

He didn't "man up."

Men stand tall and face the consequences of their actions when there is still the chance they could wiggle out of trouble, because it's the right thing to do.

Burress did everything he could to weasel out, and only when he was completely out of other options he took a deal. He tried to take the easiest possible way out each time, taking as little responsibility as possible. That's the very opposite of manning up.

He didn't "man up."

Men stand tall and face the consequences of their actions when there is still the chance they could wiggle out of trouble, because it's the right thing to do.

Burress did everything he could to weasel out, and only when he was completely out of other options he took a deal. He tried to take the easiest possible way out each time, taking as little responsibility as possible. That's the very opposite of manning up.

Stats-wise, with Plax out as a target, it could be Manning down.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

He didn't "man up."

I'm not sure that any rational person would do otherwise. How many people just throw their hands up and say "haha, you got me lol" and just take the "mandatory" sentence? Can't blame a guy for trying to avoid time...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

He didn't "man up."

I'm not sure that any rational person would do otherwise. How many people just throw their hands up and say "haha, you got me lol" and just take the "mandatory" sentence? Can't blame a guy for trying to avoid time...

Of course not. But neither should he be given any particular credit for integrity when he finally takes the deal.

This is a very interesting case. Because he did not have malicious intent, I have a hard time shaking the thought that this is a very harsh sentence. The primary cause was stupidity. Two years is kind of a tough pill for me to swallow when I don't think he wanted to hurt anyone--and I hate guns. It's fascinating for other reasons too.

Celebrity. This is a rare case where not only did being rich not help, but celebrity status may have hurt. The Mayor coming out and saying he won't get special treatment, etc. seems to have set a tone of over-compensation.

Intent and Result. It's hard to compare different laws in different states for fairness in punishment. But he'll spend about as much time as Vick, who had very disturbing intent in repeatedly killing dogs in very torturous ways. And way more than Stallworth, who actually killed someone. The biggest difference in "result" between Plax and Stallworth is luck. The punishment results, ironically, did not reflect on that luck though. With no intent to hurt and (thanks to luck) no bad result to anyone but himself, it seems like a long time to be put into a place that is for "bad people".

Deterrence. Not totally removed from the celebrity issue is deterrence. Community service and house arrest sends the message that the law is not that serious. At least that may be the thinking

The Second Amendment and politics. I find this fascinating. Normally finding someone online that thinks the Second Amendment gives us all the right to a tank in the garage and a missile silo in the back yard is pretty easy. So where were they on this case? A guy is serving two years in prison for carrying a gun. The gun crowd is usually pretty black-and-white...any limitation on gun ownership/carrying, etc. is a Second Amendment violation. So where were they? My initial thought was race (they like the image of a white guy protecting his acre and a half, but not so much the black guy). But actually, I don't think that's it. I think it's that they recognize that this instance makes a pretty good case for gun laws. Plax was doing something they think he has every right to do and the gun went off. An innocent person could have died. If everyone could just carry a gun wherever they want, it stands to reason that this would happen more frequently. I think they, intelligently, avoided politicizing this because they knew it would blow up in their face. It's a lesson in pragmatism.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

He didn't "man up."

Of course not. But neither should he be given any particular credit for integrity when he finally takes the deal.

Right. He's not a "man", but he's not a "weasel" either.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Most, if not all, celebrities and athletes try to weasel out of harsh punishment, too. It's refreshing to see someone famous get the same punishment that a normal civilian would. At least, to me it is.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

The Second Amendment and politics. I find this fascinating. Normally finding someone online that thinks the Second Amendment gives us all the right to a tank in the garage and a missile silo in the back yard is pretty easy. So where were they on this case? A guy is serving two years in prison for carrying a gun. The gun crowd is usually pretty black-and-white...any limitation on gun ownership/carrying, etc. is a Second Amendment violation. So where were they? My initial thought was race (they like the image of a white guy protecting his acre and a half, but not so much the black guy). But actually, I don't think that's it. I think it's that they recognize that this instance makes a pretty good case for gun laws. Plax was doing something they think he has every right to do and the gun went off. An innocent person could have died. If everyone could just carry a gun wherever they want, it stands to reason that this would happen more frequently. I think they, intelligently, avoided politicizing this because they knew it would blow up in their face. It's a lesson in pragmatism.

You know my first thought would have been that it's a race thing as well. I'm still not entirely sure that race didn't play at least a small role in keeping the NRA and gun advocates out of this (when I think of the NRA, diversity is about the last thing that comes to mind) but you do bring up a good point. Plax's case is hardly a good argument for allowing concealed carry.

BB52Big.jpg

Most, if not all, celebrities and athletes try to weasel out of harsh punishment, too. It's refreshing to see someone famous get the same punishment that a normal civilian would. At least, to me it is.

Except that in this case...and with Vick...I really think that his fame hurt him more than helped him.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Really?

Do you think that this wouldn't have been prosecuted had he not been famous, or do you think that the plea bargain was stiffer than it would otherwise have been?

Ok so he didnt man up, my mistake in wording.

Also, I think along the lines with Jigga, his fame did hurt him cause he had the mayor and the DA coming out guaranteeing he see jail time cause they didnt want to show preferential treatment to a celebrity, if he was of the same status as you or i, the mayor wouldnt put public pressure on the judicial system to guarantee jail time.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I'm guessing the other punishment you are talking about is the 1 year suspension from the NFL. He still got off way to easy. If he wanted to, Stallworth could find other work. It might not be NFL salary type work but he could get a job. I'm sure he could be a receivers coach at a small college. Regardless of that, he killed a man and only got 30 days.

Sure the crimes and locations are different. But 30 days (with or without the NFL suspension) is complete b.s.

-Dan

And your guess would be wrong. Maybe I should have said other CRIMINAL punishment...I wasn't even thinking about the NFL.

1,000 hours of community service

2 years of house arrest

8 years probation

Lifetime suspension of his driving privileges

And though it wasn't a punishment, per se...he did financially compensate the victim's family

Lets not forget the fact that he has to live with killing some one for the rest of his life. I am sure that is no picnic either.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived