Campaign to change Crew's Badge

Krona

columbus_crewgif.jpg

Columbus designer and soccer player Gabe Shultz has launched an initiative to change the logo of the 2008 Major League Soccer champions, the Columbus Crew. As one of the original ten teams that started the league in 1996, it has not changed its logo since its inception and Shultz thinks it's time. He has started a Facebook group with all the details. For those of you that prefer not to go into Facebook I have copied some of the images and text below. So, time for a change in crew?

full article here:

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew...ss_new_crew.php

discuss....

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
columbus_crewgif.jpg

Columbus designer and soccer player Gabe Shultz has launched an initiative to change the logo of the 2008 Major League Soccer champions, the Columbus Crew. As one of the original ten teams that started the league in 1996, it has not changed its logo since its inception and Shultz thinks it's time. He has started a Facebook group with all the details. For those of you that prefer not to go into Facebook I have copied some of the images and text below. So, time for a change in crew?

full article here:

discuss....

I don't know. That font, coupled with the propaganda-esque picture of workers, kind of has a Soviet feel to it.

Even without that, it doesn't seem like it'd be an improvement on the current logo.

Brian, are you guys married to that script? I don't think it works at all. I'm glad you ditched the beveling though. It usually makes things better, but it just make the lettering clunky.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I dont know if i like all three of the same guy. the first version isnt bad, since the back two are a bit faded out, but the length bothers me as well. i dont really care for any beefcake imagery at all. this was my concept from awhile back, with similar a idea for the font, but a gear/cog element i could never quite work out:

Crew-2.jpg

I know that people think the Crew crest looks clip-arty, but that's just because it's such an obvious artifact of its time. When it debuted, it did not look clip-arty, because clip-art didn't look like that. It was contemporary and lively. And the truth is that most European soccer badges look like artifacts of an older time, too, because like the Crew badge they are. While I do like the brighter yellow option in this thread, the current Crew crest has its charms.

Personally, I think the chief charm of the Crew crest is that it combines portraits of Henry Rollins, Roland Gift from Fine Young Cannibals, and Robert De Niro, all in hard hats. How can you not love that? It's like the poster from a great movie that never got made, a heist movie involving punk metal and organized labor and the mob and the British third-wave ska scene. Kind of like a gritty, industrial "Ocean's 11," only they never made the movie but instead used leftover marketing stuff for a soccer team.

20082614447.png

columbus_crewgif.jpg

full article here:

discuss....

I get the feeling that a bunch of genies are about to go to work on the Taj Mahal.

It is an improvement on the original but the problem is that WHOLE concept doesn't work for CBus. CBus is the state capital and filled with fatcats, represenatives, and committee members, and Ohio State is the driving force behind the city. Labor is not a concept known to these people.

This logo would be fine for cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago, and even in parts of Texas......but not CBus.

I always thought they should keep the Crew name but make more reference to the namesake of the city...Christopher Columbus.

CC sailed under the flag of Spain (actually Castile and Leon) so I say make this the vocal point of the design and add red to the mix of black and yellow, but make red and yellow the main colours.

spaincastlelion.gif

Now CBus has a replica of one of CC sailing ships so I say add a ship to the logo like Vasco Da Gama:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ClubDeR...VascoDaGama.svg

Vasco_ac.png

I think the concepts presented here are definite improvements over the current dreadful badge, but I highly recommend going in a completely different direction with this.

I appreciate tradition as much as anyone else, but this logo was an abortion from the start.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

Archived