Campaign to change Crew's Badge

Krona

I disagree. I don't find anything wrong with the team names in the MLS. Nicknames like the Revolution, Rapids, Galaxy, or Crew are fine and definitely better than the rather uninspiring names like FC Dallas or Toronto FC. More on topic, there's nothing really wrong with the Crew's identity, it just could use a little update.

The Rapids are owned by the same group that owns the NHL Avalanche - hence, the similarity in naming style and colors. (Although the Rapids' kit is supposed to have been inspired by that of Aston Villa as well.)

Personally, I like "Rapids" as a moniker - like most of this state's team names, it has a connection to the region and isn't just something that's randomly powerful-sounding.

Now, the Red Bulls - there's a team with a problem name...

3101813238_7d0a1c2aae_o.png

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree. I don't find anything wrong with the team names in the MLS. Nicknames like the Revolution, Rapids, Galaxy, or Crew are fine and definitely better than the rather uninspiring names like FC Dallas or Toronto FC. More on topic, there's nothing really wrong with the Crew's identity, it just could use a little update.

The Rapids are owned by the same group that owns the NHL Avalanche - hence, the similarity in naming style and colors. (Although the Rapids' kit is supposed to have been inspired by that of Aston Villa as well.)

Personally, I like "Rapids" as a moniker - like most of this state's team names, it has a connection to the region and isn't just something that's randomly powerful-sounding.

Now, the Red Bulls - there's a team with a problem name...

Excellent point!

Here in lays the problem I see with the Crew.

Other sports teams have some sort of a connction to the area they play for, such as:

Pittsburgh Steelers - steel mills

Green Bay Packers - meat packing industry

S.F. 49ers - The Gold Rush

Houston Astros - space program........etc.

What crew are they refering too in CBus?

Maybe a road crew but then I would expect their colours to be neon yellow, barrel orange, and reflective silver.

As far as the Rapids name goes I have no problem with it either. Not only does it fit with the state of Colorado but it also has a European connection as well:

Rapid_Bucharest.png

Rapid-Wien.png

FC_Rapid_Ghidighici.png

FC Rapid Ghidighici

To be honest, the new concepts don't seem to have much impact. The elements seem to all be floating as separate items with any cohesiveness. Like someone else had said, the main element (blue-collar worker) looks like copy and pasted clip art.

That being said; I think that the name should be kept, but a new badge should play on the roots of the city of Columbus. Like many of the established teams in Europe, the team's badge is usually associated with team. Here's some examples of logos with the city's coat of arms:

arms.jpg

Now with Columbus, I think there's an opportunity to classify "Crew" as the crew of a ship (specifically, Columbus's ship) as shown in the Columbus coat of arms.

columbusarms.jpg

To be honest, the new concepts don't seem to have much impact. The elements seem to all be floating as separate items with any cohesiveness. Like someone else had said, the main element (blue-collar worker) looks like copy and pasted clip art.

That being said; I think that the name should be kept, but a new badge should play on the roots of the city of Columbus. Like many of the established teams in Europe, the team's badge is usually associated with team. Here's some examples of logos with the city's coat of arms:

Now with Columbus, I think there's an opportunity to classify "Crew" as the crew of a ship (specifically, Columbus's ship) as shown in the Columbus coat of arms.

columbusarms.jpg

I smell a concept coming

annnd this thread has once again devolved into an American-style nicknames versus Euro-style name debate. And I've officially lost interest.

Actually it's more of a Crews is a dumb name vs. Crew is a fine name.

Some have mentioned that it'd be counter-productive for the Crew to change names after a decade of use. That may be true, actually.

The badge, I feel most can agree on, absolutely needs to be changed. I honestly don't think I can come up with a worse logo in MLS, or in the Big 4 leagues. It really is awful. I'm not really even sure what could be done, because I don't really think the construction "crew" idea is the way to go. I kind of like the idea of basing a new logo on the city's coat of arms, but other than that I don't really know what could be done.

annnd this thread has once again devolved into an American-style nicknames versus Euro-style name debate. And I've officially lost interest.

Some have mentioned that it'd be counter-productive for the Crew to change names after a decade of use. That may be true, actually.

The badge, I feel most can agree on, absolutely needs to be changed. I honestly don't think I can come up with a worse logo in MLS, or in the Big 4 leagues. It really is awful. I'm not really even sure what could be done, because I don't really think the construction "crew" idea is the way to go. I kind of like the idea of basing a new logo on the city's coat of arms, but other than that I don't really know what could be done.

Since the original poster and Gordie are out, it may behoove us to leave the debate for now and try to come up with some actual concepts on our own. This thread lost its way a loooong time ago.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

Since the original poster and Gordie are out, it may behoove us to leave the debate for now and try to come up with some actual concepts on our own. This thread lost its way a loooong time ago.

Where did I go?

I wondered the same thing. Since you haven't posted since page one and the discussion strayed far from C & C of the original concept it seemed reasonable to assume you'd lost interest like Gordie.

If I was wrong, I apologize, I didn't mean to speak for you. Since you're still here, perhaps you can steer the thread back on course.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

Just taking it all in. i know these threads will twist and turn, but if the topic is worth it, it'll get back on track. i went back my old badge that i posted earlier, and had myself a critique. i think ive sorted out the problems with the "gear" concept. i'll post it soon. i may be dwelling on an idea not worth its piss. as time goes by, that proposed badge isnt getting any better. gordies is a much improved version, but we need to ask what we dont like about the badge. is it those workers, or just the idea of workers?

I think the idea of the workers doesn't really work for this (thanks Nike). The current logo looks more like something a labor union would put out. If you look at it for the first time without any frame of reference, you probably wouldn't realize that it was a sports logo, let alone a logo for a professional soccer team. Any good sports logo should tell you what city and what sport. The current logo does neither.

I really like what the Blue Jackets have done with their current logo. Using the Ohio flag and wrapping it around a star creates motion and gives the logo a sense of patriotism. Let's face it, Columbus, Ohio invokes that sense of nationalism as evidenced by the Jackets logo and the Old Ohio Glory team.

There may be too much red, white and blue in the league already, but I think using these colors for columbus would be a good start. Going with a Christopher Columbus theme or Americana type theme would be a step in the right direction. The Ohio flag's shape would make a great crest when turned 90°.

And one more thing to keep in mind. A logo should never be so complicated graphically that a 10 year old kid can't draw a decent facsimile of it.

Changing the club's colors would be a big mistake at this point. They've really made yellow and black their own, and unique is good in this case.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Changing the club's colors would be a big mistake at this point. They've really made yellow and black their own, and unique is good in this case.

I agree. the flag idea is good though. ive made a futile effort in working it into a badge somehow. ive also been trying to work a stylized nod to the short north arches in there as well.

I think you've hit upon the struggle that some people have with the logo in that the name 'Crew' is not presented well. Like Rampart mentioned using the Crew as a 'Ships Crew' rather than a 'Road Crew' or 'Construction Crew' would probably worked much better, and I agree with him.

The current logo is not fantastic, but I prefer it to the suggested very grey version...

the variation posted in this thread (with more yellow) it's a lot better tough,

Would like to see gordi_delini's concept with the black/white basic version and just the helmets and the crew writting in yellow.

I think you've hit upon the struggle that some people have with the logo in that the name 'Crew' is not presented well. Like Rampart mentioned using the Crew as a 'Ships Crew' rather than a 'Road Crew' or 'Construction Crew' would probably worked much better, and I agree with him.

I disagree with this. Ohio isn't a big maritime state (yeah, there is some shipping along the rivers, but that's not the point), and Columbus has never been a shipping port. Furthermore, if a physical representation of a "crew" is going to be done, I think it should be a construction crew as a nod to the city's manufacturing and blue-collar roots.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Aston Villa? That seems strange, since the rebrand was in conjunction with their agreement with Arsenal.

I disagree with this. Ohio isn't a big maritime state (yeah, there is some shipping along the rivers, but that's not the point), and Columbus has never been a shipping port. Furthermore, if a physical representation of a "crew" is going to be done, I think it should be a construction crew as a nod to the city's manufacturing and blue-collar roots.

We've had a minor league baseball team named the Clippers for 35 +years. The city was named after Christopher Columbus so whether or not it's actually a maritime area a ship crew can work, but I think the colors are a big hit right now and the badge would only need some minor improvements to be successful.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Columbus is the state capital of Ohio and is home to the state university....Columbus is anything BUT blue-collar. Now if the club were in Cleveland then I could understand the connection but I don't recall Columbus to ever have been a dominion of labour. Even some true Crew fans can't understand the connection between the crest and the city. It just doesn't represent the city of Columbus.

Archived