Campaign to change Crew's Badge

Krona

Change it if you want. I just don't like what they're trying to change it to at all. It's just not the right fit. I happen to like what they had before, compared to a lot of the identities of MLS, but...surely someone can do something better?

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Crew definitely need to change. They have one of the worst logos in all of American sports, not to mention one of the worst names. My suggestion would be to just start all over, similar to what the Dallas Burn did when they switched to FC Dallas.

The Crew definitely need to change. They have one of the worst logos in all of American sports, not to mention one of the worst names. My suggestion would be to just start all over, similar to what the Dallas Burn did when they switched to FC Dallas.

I, for one, very much agree with this sentiment. The MLS got a lot of things wrong at the outset (shootouts anyone?), including the team identities.

Here were the original MLS teams:

Columbus Crew

D.C. United

New England Revolution

NY/NJ MetroStars..............Red Bull New York

Tampa Bay Mutiny............Defunct

Colorado Rapids

Dallas Burn.......................FC Dallas

Kansas City Wiz................Wizards

Los Angeles Galaxy

San Jose Clash.................Earthquakes

Frankly, I'd like to see New England, Colorado, and LA change names along with Columbus.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

I disagree. I don't find anything wrong with the team names in the MLS. Nicknames like the Revolution, Rapids, Galaxy, or Crew are fine and definitely better than the rather uninspiring names like FC Dallas or Toronto FC. More on topic, there's nothing really wrong with the Crew's identity, it just could use a little update.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I disagree. I don't find anything wrong with the team names in the MLS. Nicknames like the Revolution, Rapids, Galaxy, or Crew are fine and definitely better than the rather uninspiring names like FC Dallas or Toronto FC. More on topic, there's nothing really wrong with the Crew's identity, it just could use a little update.

Well, I don't really know anybody who likes the MLS names. Anytime the subject of a team's name comes up, people always instantly say that they don't want an awful MLS or Arena-style name. People typically just make fun of MLS' team names like Revolution, Crew, and Galaxy.

Also, I'm not saying that they necessarily should go down the Columbus FC route. In fact, I'd rather them avoid it since this is an American league. I just think that Crew is about the worst name currently being used and that the franchise would be better served with something less awful. It also doesn't help that the Crew have what I believe to be the most horrific logo in sports.

Well, I don't really know anybody who likes the MLS names. Anytime the subject of a team's name comes up, people always instantly say that they don't want an awful MLS or Arena-style name. People typically just make fun of MLS' team names like Revolution, Crew, and Galaxy.

Also, I'm not saying that they necessarily should go down the Columbus FC route. In fact, I'd rather them avoid it since this is an American league. I just think that Crew is about the worst name currently being used and that the franchise would be better served with something less awful. It also doesn't help that the Crew have what I believe to be the most horrific logo in sports.

I have no problem with any of the teams being named using the typical American naming convention (New York Yankees, Chicago Bears, LA Kings, etc.), instead of the European convention (FC Columbus, Real Columbus, etc). What I object to is the mid-nineties X-treme sports naming convention (Clash, Zapp, Crew, Burn, etc). It's bush league.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

Count me in as one who would rather see Columbus keep the name and badge. Yeah, names like the Crew, Revolution and Galaxy are not the best of names and seemed strange at the beginning. However, with the names having survived for this long, to me, changing the names would be counterproductive to their identity as MLS teams. Could the Crew use a new badge? Probably, but right now, when I see the Crew logo, I immediately know who they are.

I saw, I came, I left.

IMO, New England Revolution is a fantastic name...and still works perfectly after "all" this time. Crew is a good name as well, it's that the badge is just awkward and uninspired...and therefore, needs to be changed. The fact they won a 'ship shouldn't mean squat.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I for one understand complaints about the badge as it looks like Men at Work or the Village People but I do not understand the disdain over the name. Crew reminds me of the name an English soccer team might have... I think it's similar to Arsenal in way. Similarly I think Revolution (equally horrid logo) is an original MLS team with a name I could see being use in Europe.

if they are going to keep the guy in the hard hat they should add an indian chief, a highway patrolman, and a cowboy

then change their name to FC Village People

Why do people keep saying this? Is that song really the first thing that comes to mind every time you see someone in a construction hat? Maybe I'm too young to get it...

I don't know. That font, coupled with the propaganda-esque picture of workers, kind of has a Soviet feel to it.

Even without that, it doesn't seem like it'd be an improvement on the current logo.

Yeah, if they adopt that, they'll be the Columbus Commies.

I dont know if i like all three of the same guy. the first version isnt bad, since the back two are a bit faded out, but the length bothers me as well. i dont really care for any beefcake imagery at all.

Maybe they could replace the two construction guys in the back with a police officer and a Native American chief. If they were really ambitious, they could also add a cowboy, a biker, and a military man. Now that's a Crew!

112323662_9cc1078f67.jpg

How'd you get the Village People entire set?

I tried to get it and it was sold out.

EDIT: Just like Gaydar at Sharper Image :)

6fQjS3M.png

I for one understand complaints about the badge as it looks like Men at Work or the Village People but I do not understand the disdain over the name. Crew reminds me of the name an English soccer team might have... I think it's similar to Arsenal in way. Similarly I think Revolution (equally horrid logo) is an original MLS team with a name I could see being use in Europe.

Except Arsenal is a much better name (with a much better logo). Crew just sounds overly goofy to me, like they were trying too hard to come up with something original.

And Arsenal's name actually has a history to it. It's not "hey let's pick a nickname". The guys that founded the club were a group of Scottish workers at the Royal Arms Factory in Woolwich. They started as Dial Square FC. When they went pro, they changed the name to Woolwich Arsenal FC. When they moved to Highbury in 1913 they dropped Woolwich (since they weren't located there any longer) and became Arsenal FC. So the name has a lot more significance and meaning than the Crew.

OD_Signature.jpg

i'm actually working with that designer - here's my variation:

ColumbusCrewConcept-1.gif

I like that one better than the original suggestion, but the repetition of the same face is bothering me. I think there needs to be differences in the three guys, just to break up the pattern. Nothing drastic, just a subtle difference to make the different. Perhaps a smirk or a half smile.

I dont know if i like all three of the same guy. the first version isnt bad, since the back two are a bit faded out, but the length bothers me as well. i dont really care for any beefcake imagery at all.

Maybe they could replace the two construction guys in the back with a police officer and a Native American chief. If they were really ambitious, they could also add a cowboy, a biker, and a military man. Now that's a Crew!

112323662_9cc1078f67.jpg

It's fun to root for the C-R-E-W, it's fun to root for the C-R-E-W...

We want you! We want you! We want you for Columbus Crew!

3101813238_7d0a1c2aae_o.png

Archived