2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why waste a good beer by pouring it all over people?

Exactly.

Pour it over a dead guy's jersey. A guy who was killed by a drunk driver. Then, it's a classy move.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The Angels clinched the AL West last night. Their 3rd straight. 5th out of the last 6 years.

And in the celebration, the classiest organization in all of sports continued to be so last night in their celebration. In the champange and beer soaked locker room, they doused Adenhart's jersey in the celebration, the same jersey they've carried with them all season. They went out to the facade with Adenhart's image out in centerfield and they all touched it and celebrated with their fallen teammate. That was definitely one of the more touching and "dusty-in-the-room" moments I've seen in baseball.

So you're saying they celebrated? I don't know about "classiest organizations in sports" because I'm sitting here and can't picture another team not doing the same thing for a deceased teammate. The Angels handled it well IMO, but what team wouldn't put the dead guy's picture (or number) on the wall or run his jersey around after clinching the division?

As for the baseball side of things, I'd hope the Angels would win 5 out of the last 6 years. They're the biggest market in baseball's smallest division and the other three teams are Oakland, Seattle, and Texas. Billy Beane isn't the "genius" he was at the beginning of the decade, the Mariners have lost any sort of resemblance to 2001 (besides Ichiro) and the Rangers, though good this season, will always be hampered in their homer park. Unless the Angels go through a bunch of injuries they have no excuse to not be the favorites in that division, ever.

On a related note, does anyone else think the champange celebrations are a little overdone in baseball. I'm not trying to single out the Angels cause every team does it. I just don't think winning your division is a big enough accomplishment to be doing it. I think it should be reserved for the LCS and World Series when you've actually won something meaningful.

I have not seen any NBA playoff (7-8th seed) celebrations with champagne. However I think that the LAA players were wrong because both drivers were legally impaired at the time of the accident. Courtney Stewart, the driver at the wheel of the car Nick was a passenger in was only 20 years old, but had a BAC of .06, illegal for someone under 21 in California.

According to the DA, her BAC will not play a factor, I know that the defense attorney will bring this up. Since the accident had both people under the influence, just laying a ALDS tee on top of his jersey and carrying it with them should have been the better choice which those adults should have known.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the canning of Padres GM Kevin Towers. I know he won 4 titles in 14 years, but you never really had the feeling ever that they were ever a contender for the NL West, even when they won. They always seemed to be a franchise with no direction, and I don't want to hear the crap about different owners and low payroll. Kevin Towers never had a philosophy of building a winner. And then with Petco Park, you found out what he really built, a team of whinners who would complain that the park was too big. A lot of people, okay the guy who hosts MLB Network coverage who is originally from San Diego, back Towers, but when your players whine about the walls in the outfield, you obviously haven't scouted the character of your players well enough in the minor leagues. Will he pop up someplace else? Yeah, probably Toronto, but I don't see him as that good. As a Dodger fan though, one of the name mentioned was the joke Paul DePodesta. I can only hope that comes true, so I can watch the Padre fans suffer the train wreck that would be his tenure as GM.

Also posted in the gear-grinder thread...

Since I've been busting my ass at work lately, and been pissed offabout all the BS I've had to put up with, I was given "Hall of Fame"Club tix for the NLCS.

I was ecstatic when my bosses-bosses-boss gave them too me... until Ilooked at them, and noticed that they're for "Home Game 4", which isonly even possible under very limited circumstances, and is highlyunlikely to ever actually be played.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't know about you guys, but I think this is a HUGE move! This gives the Jays a solid chance to compete for 3rd place in the AL East next year!

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I don't know about you guys, but I think this is a HUGE move! This gives the Jays a solid chance to compete for 3rd place in the AL East next year!

Agreed. Now if MLB would just add another wild card team.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

To bad he's likely done for the year (along with half of the rest of the 'pen).

chan-hooooo_.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Epic Fail 2001-2008 Yankees: 0 'Ships, roughly $1,471,684,093 in payroll.

Just sayin' :P

Archived