2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Heilman is better than the :censored: the Braves have had in their bullpen the past few years.

I'm looking at you Bob Wickman.

:lol: Let's not forget Ray King

...or Blaine Boyer, or Royce Ring, or Jeff Bennett, or Julian Tavarez...

There better be some major change this year. With these new starters, hopefully Campillo, Reyes, and Morton can be in there where they belong.

and if they are in the bullpen, I'm gonna feel so much better about the pitching. Campillo, Reyes and Morton can pitch well, I would just rather them do it for 1-2 innings instead of 5-6.

I really feel the starting rotation is set with JJ, Vasquez, Lowe, KK and maybe Glavine. Tommy Hanson will be going to camp, if he impresses enough people, he may get the nod.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heilman is better than the :censored: the Braves have had in their bullpen the past few years.

I REALLY hate our bullpen. It has sucked since Smoltz went back to starting again. We haven't been able to get one reliable closer since then, and the middle relief has been mediocre-to-horrible. So many times where the SP goes out and pitches a hell of a game, only to have the bullpen blow it in an inning or so.

I'm really kinda mad that the Braves haven't addressed it, and when they have, it's failed miserably.

I think Mike Gonzalez is going to prove to be very important to Atlanta. If he and Soriano can do what they are capable of, then we might be in better shape than we all think right now. Frank Wren went out and got starting pitching. Granted it wasn't the best it could have been, but I am encouraged by what he has picked up so far. I think KK is gonna do GREAT. Atlanta needs another bat. Unfortunately I think they are going to use Andruw Jones to be that bat.

The thing with Gonzalez, though...he reminds me too much of K-Rod: Turning every save attempt into a heart attack. Unlike K-Rod, though, he didn't get the job done as often. I just want him and Soriano to improve. We REALLY need a decent closing rotation.

I do agree, the rotation's going to be good, and when Hudson comes back from injury, it will be GREAT indeed. As for Andruw coming here...as long as the rumors are true, that we're going to sign him for the league minimum, I'm cool with it. Maybe he'll go 'back to normal.'

I also hope that Frenchy's "new approach" works out now that he's batting cleanup. Lord knows the last one failed epically.

I REALLY hate our bullpen. It has sucked since Smoltz went back to starting again. We haven't been able to get one reliable closer since then, and the middle relief has been mediocre-to-horrible. So many times where the SP goes out and pitches a hell of a game, only to have the bullpen blow it in an inning or so.

I'm really kinda mad that the Braves haven't addressed it, and when they have, it's failed miserably.

I think Mike Gonzalez is going to prove to be very important to Atlanta. If he and Soriano can do what they are capable of, then we might be in better shape than we all think right now. Frank Wren went out and got starting pitching. Granted it wasn't the best it could have been, but I am encouraged by what he has picked up so far. I think KK is gonna do GREAT. Atlanta needs another bat. Unfortunately I think they are going to use Andruw Jones to be that bat.

The thing with Gonzalez, though...he reminds me too much of K-Rod: Turning every save attempt into a heart attack. Unlike K-Rod, though, he didn't get the job done as often. I just want him and Soriano to improve. We REALLY need a decent closing rotation.

I do agree, the rotation's going to be good, and when Hudson comes back from injury, it will be GREAT indeed. As for Andruw coming here...as long as the rumors are true, that we're going to sign him for the league minimum, I'm cool with it. Maybe he'll go 'back to normal.'

I also hope that Frenchy's "new approach" works out now that he's batting cleanup. Lord knows the last one failed epically.

I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have Andruw back, I would just hate to see him go through another year like that (this time in a Braves uniform) I agree about the 'new approach' deal. good ol' Jeff just needs to go back to what he was doing in 2006 before he finds himself in the same boat as Andruw.

Still need another bat IMO even if we get Jones back...where would it come from though? Maybe one of the new kids will turn out to be a surprise :)

I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have Andruw back, I would just hate to see him go through another year like that (this time in a Braves uniform) I agree about the 'new approach' deal. good ol' Jeff just needs to go back to what he was doing in 2006 before he finds himself in the same boat as Andruw.

Still need another bat IMO even if we get Jones back...where would it come from though? Maybe one of the new kids will turn out to be a surprise :)

Once Jason Heyward comes up, that'll be a big help. People really think that big things are gonna come from that guy...but that's probably going to be in 2010.

Once Jason Heyward comes up, that'll be a big help. People really think that big things are gonna come from that guy...but that's probably going to be in 2010.

2010, that sounds about right. Seems like a good year to win a World Series :D

I'm thinking Andruw Jones wouldn't be a bad pick up on a one year deal. Figure that he has a lot to prove and would be playing for a longer term deal a one year deal for say $1-2 million plus incentives wouldn't be bad and might turn out to be a decent gamble.

I'm thinking Andruw Jones wouldn't be a bad pick up on a one year deal. Figure that he has a lot to prove and would be playing for a longer term deal a one year deal for say $1-2 million plus incentives wouldn't be bad and might turn out to be a decent gamble.

He would be a pretty solid pick up this year. I find it hard to believe he wouldn't get anything better than a 1 year deal though...i know he's dropped off a bit offensively in the last 2 years, but he could turn out to be a decent gamble (like you said) and i think that he might get a deal for 2 or 3 years, maybe from a team looking to become a contender with a hole in the outfield.

BobbySig.png

While you jest, I'm pretty sure that's what the team's goal is. The rotation will, hopefully, be of World Series quality with Hudson returning. The lineup will be dangerous with Jones, McCann, & a revitalized Frenchy. Add in another bat or two, and that could be the year for them to make a run at it.

Not this year though, unless we pull a Rays.

While you jest, I'm pretty sure that's what the team's goal is. The rotation will, hopefully, be of World Series quality with Hudson returning. The lineup will be dangerous with Jones, McCann, & a revitalized Frenchy. Add in another bat or two, and that could be the year for them to make a run at it.

Not this year though, unless we pull a Rays.

It has happened before. Which is why I am feeling pretty good about what we are capable of accomplishing. Does the pitching rotation include Peavy and Burnett? No, but it is still a solid rotation.

Until another team takes Jones, I am going to continue to assume that the Braves are the front runners to sign him. If he returns to form and learns how to hit a breaking pitch, we could make a drastic improvement in 2009. It's gonna be tough to hold off the Mets and Phils this year, but it can be done.

Not to mention, we could be just one mid-season trade away from taking it.

The only way Andruw Jones goes "back to normal" is if the Gold Club returns.....

The bullpen isn't that bad, it's just that it gets overused by the time July arrives. Any bullpen goes to crap if they're being used 3-4 innings per game. The Rays were so good because their starters routinely pitched 7 innings per game. Bobby Cox is an old-school manager.....old-school as in yanking the starting pitcher if he's allowed 3-4 runs by the 5th-6th inning. Or perhaps the Braves were just too blessed when they had Cy Maddux, Cy Glavine, and Cy Smoltz toeing the rubber that we now expect similar results from any starter wearing a Brave uniform.

Power's a bit of a concern, but I'd rather the Braves try going with small-ball. Go with the guys that'll put the ball in play, draw walks, and steal bases....folks that put pressure on the defense. The Braves offense had a lot more success when they had the likes of Otis Nixon and Furcal (before he started swinging for the fence) drag-bunting and diverting the pitcher's attention away from the next batter. The Braves need a team that's exciting again. They haven't had a team that was exciting since the late 90's.

*sprays soda over monitor*

Couldn't there be cheaper, saner hitting to be had to protect Pujols?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

My favorite quote from the original blog's comments:

As a Cubs fan, does this prospect worry me? Without a doubt. But, it also worries me in the same manner that an asteroid possibly hitting the earth worries me.

:lol:

The Cardinals are way too cheap to do it, and I highly doubt that Manny's going anywhere on a discount. Oh, Varitek ended up signing the 1-year deal with the Red Sox.

My favorite quote from the original blog's comments:

As a Cubs fan, does this prospect worry me? Without a doubt. But, it also worries me in the same manner that an asteroid possibly hitting the earth worries me.

:lol:

The Cardinals are way too cheap to do it, and I highly doubt that Manny's going anywhere on a discount. Oh, Varitek ended up signing the 1-year deal with the Red Sox.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3872796

It took nearly three months, but the Boston Red Sox have reached agreement to bring back catcher Jason Varitek on a one-year, $5 million contract, pending a physical and the execution of final details, two major league sources said Friday.

The contract would include a 2010 club option for $5 million. If the Red Sox decline their option, Varitek would hold a player option for $3 million.

There also is $2 million in potential incentives in the player option next year, which would be triggered if Varitek plays 80 to 120 games. If he were to play 120 games next year, he could earn $5 million even in the player option.

Under either scenario, the maximum total value of the contract could not exceed $10 million.

I like it.

IUe6Hvh.png

I just read on the Braves website that they most likely will not be bringing Andruw Jones back. There goes that idea.

Why would you want him his stats went down, as teh steroids crack down began. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm not a coincidence

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I don't like incentives that are activated by games played, because that can be manipulated much more directly than achievement-based incentives, as we saw with John Gibbons benching Frank Thomas. It can get into a real grey area. Of course, if incentives kick in based on hitting x amount of RBIs or home runs, then the front office can quite easily have the manager bench the player before reaching that threshold, just as if the concern were games played, but at least teams preventing themselves from rewarding greatness is a little more counterproductive than keeping an underachieving shlub out of the lineup before his incentives can kick in for just being in the lineup.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I just read on the Braves website that they most likely will not be bringing Andruw Jones back. There goes that idea.

Why would you want him his stats went down, as teh steroids crack down began. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm not a coincidence

If there's one team that knows all about steroids, it's the Mets.

Andruw sucks because he's never learned how to hit the offspeed stuff.

Archived