NFL Expansion Project

Davidson

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The name Oilers wouldn't work for Austin or San Antonio. Oil is far more prevalent in the gulf region, hence Houston's former NFL team moniker.

Oilers wouldn't work either as Bud Adams still owns the name and has retired the name as well.

Guys, I think an Orlando team would actually work. Fiscally it would draw tourists to the area in Disney's "off season" and drive up overall tax revenue (not that Orlando needs any more.) Also from a fiscal standpoint, Orlando is probably the one city in the US that could quickly and efficiently put up the money and resources for a new team with no real burden such as loans (especially if Disney owned the team.) Plus, have you guys been to Orlando? The freaking infrastructure and layout are outstanding, it would instantly become a regular Super Bowl destination.

On the proximity side of things, I think Orlando is in good position to give coverage to the west-central part of the state, which is essentially a no-man's land for NFL broadcasting, with the city getting whichever of three match-ups is seen to be most popular. As a result there isn't a strong base of support for any one team. I believe an Orlando team would almost have to be an NFC franchise, since it wouldn't do to have Florida be an overwhelmingly AFC state.

As for other franchises, I can only think of a couple that are definitely out. LA just doesn't work because it's such a shallow band-wagon city, which means that you'd almost have to put a successful franchise there for it to be financially viable long term, but successful teams don't move. Mexico is definitely out, what with the State Department saying that entire country's about to fall apart. I don't think anything in the OC/Bay area works either, because it's so massively covered. Portland's too close to Seattle, IMO. Canada has potential, but not Toronto with the Bills still in Buffalo, since the Bills tap the Toronto market to keep afloat.

As for some that might work, Salt Lake immediately jumps to mind; that's another no man's land in the middle of a huge football tradition, plus any franchise in Utah would tap the Yellowstone region. Omaha and Oklahoma city together would finish the bracketing of Kansas, which on its own is too small to support an NFL franchise (they couldn't even keep an AFL franchise in Wichita.) That's four, so where do the other four come from without saturating extant markets?

cttdolphins2.png

Well, one thing to keep in mind is the NFL normally places the closest expansion team in the opposite conference of the existing team. So, IF the Chargers stay in San Diego, a new LA team would be place in the NFC, not the AFC.

Also, there is a need to look at demographic trends vs. where cities are now. Ex: a few years ago, I thought an NFL team in Hartford would be a good chocie. While they're still #29, their population is declining and they've dropped a could of places on the Top 100 list. WIth that current trend, it's not advisable.

My automatics are Portland, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, San Antonio and the Hampton Roads area.

My final 2 cities would come down to Birmingham, Alburquerque (jumped 6 slots in the Top 100 list to #44 in 2008), Albany or Columbus.

Orlando would be a good city, but I fear it would kill the Jags and hurt the Bucs.

Guys, I think an Orlando team would actually work. Fiscally it would draw tourists to the area in Disney's "off season" and drive up overall tax revenue (not that Orlando needs any more.) Also from a fiscal standpoint, Orlando is probably the one city in the US that could quickly and efficiently put up the money and resources for a new team with no real burden such as loans (especially if Disney owned the team.) Plus, have you guys been to Orlando? The freaking infrastructure and layout are outstanding, it would instantly become a regular Super Bowl destination.

On the proximity side of things, I think Orlando is in good position to give coverage to the west-central part of the state, which is essentially a no-man's land for NFL broadcasting, with the city getting whichever of three match-ups is seen to be most popular. As a result there isn't a strong base of support for any one team. I believe an Orlando team would almost have to be an NFC franchise, since it wouldn't do to have Florida be an overwhelmingly AFC state.

As for other franchises, I can only think of a couple that are definitely out. LA just doesn't work because it's such a shallow band-wagon city, which means that you'd almost have to put a successful franchise there for it to be financially viable long term, but successful teams don't move. Mexico is definitely out, what with the State Department saying that entire country's about to fall apart. I don't think anything in the OC/Bay area works either, because it's so massively covered. Portland's too close to Seattle, IMO. Canada has potential, but not Toronto with the Bills still in Buffalo, since the Bills tap the Toronto market to keep afloat.

As for some that might work, Salt Lake immediately jumps to mind; that's another no man's land in the middle of a huge football tradition, plus any franchise in Utah would tap the Yellowstone region. Omaha and Oklahoma city together would finish the bracketing of Kansas, which on its own is too small to support an NFL franchise (they couldn't even keep an AFL franchise in Wichita.) That's four, so where do the other four come from without saturating extant markets?

Your saying Orlando, Omaha and Oklahoma City over Los Angeles, and Portland, but maily over Los Angeles?

First of all, it's never gonna get to 40 teams. 32 is essentially the limit number for leagues, unless they do something like the NBA has mentioned and have a Europe division of 5 teams. But for the sake of the thread, from a fantasy standpoint, here are my choices for potential cities:

1. Los Angeles

2. Toronto

3. Portland

4. San Antonio

5. Las Vegas

6. Anaheim (though 2 LA teams wouldn't probably come into the league at the same time)

7. Utah (Salt Lake City)

8. Birmingham or Oklahoma City

I'd love to see a team in Memphis, but that's not gonna happen with the Titans in Nashville. Florida doesn't need a 4th team. Omaha isn't near "Major" League level of potential sports teams. Heck, football is about the only sport Birmingham would be able to fly with now (or the foreseeable future). San Jose would be awesome, but not with 2 Bay area teams already. Sacramento is probably too close to be a 3rd NorCal team, also. Vancouver wouldn't be a bad idea, but may be a little down on the list after some other cities.

For a Birmingham team you could call them the Vulcans, that was a good name, and you shoud probably stay away from Steel. Or you could try a name that has something to do with Magic, since it's called "The City of Magic" or something like that, Jnutni came up with a good name for my Kcikball team the "Iron Magicians" but that doesn't sound like a NFL team.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Yeah sorry about me messing this up.

NFC East: Dallas, NY Giants, Philadelphia, VIRGINIA, Washington

NFC North: Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota TORONTO

NFC South: Atlanta, BIRMINGHAM, Carolina, New Orleans, Tampa Bay

NFC West: Arizona, SALT LAKE CITY, San Francisco, SAN ANTONIO, Seattle

AFC East: Buffalo, Jacksonville, Miami, New England, NY Jets

AFC North: Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis

AFC South: Houston, Kansas City, OKLAHOMA CITY, St. Louis, Tennessee

AFC West: Denver, LOS ANGELES, Oakland, PORTLAND, San Diego

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

Yeah sorry about me messing this up.

NFC East: Dallas, NY Giants, Philadelphia, VIRGINIA, Washington

NFC North: Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota TORONTO

NFC South: Atlanta, BIRMINGHAM, Carolina, New Orleans, Tampa Bay

NFC West: Arizona, SALT LAKE CITY, San Francisco, SAN ANTONIO, Seattle

AFC East: Buffalo, Jacksonville, Miami, New England, NY Jets

AFC North: Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis

AFC South: Houston, Kansas City, OKLAHOMA CITY, St. Louis, Tennessee

AFC West: Denver, LOS ANGELES, Oakland, PORTLAND, San Diego

Move the Rams to the AFC South with the Kansas City Chiefs? Heck, no!

Here's how I see this happening:

AFC East: Buffalo, Miami, New England, NY Jets, NORFOLK

AFC North: Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh

AFC South: Houston, Jacksonville, Kansas City, OKLAHOMA CITY, Tennessee,

AFC West: Denver, LAS VEGAS, Oakland, PORTLAND, San Diego

NFC East: Carolina, Dallas, NY Giants, Philadelphia, Washington

NFC North: Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota, TORONTO

NFC South: Atlanta, BIRMINGHAM, New Orleans, St. Louis, Tampa Bay

NFC West: Arizona, LOS ANGELES, SALT LAKE CITY, San Francisco, Seattle

YOZXkBG.png?1

Norfolk (Hampton Roads Metro- 1.6 Million) would be a good idea, and it is no more in DC's back yard (193 miles) as Philly is in NYC, Baltimore is in Philly, and DC is in Baltimore. The advantage the area would have is it would be the only game in town. Plus it could over time develop a national following with all the naval personnel there. But hey this is all pretend so you can put a team anyplace. But since most of the East is taken, Hampton Roads is about the only place left other than Nassau County NY.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Your saying Orlando, Omaha and Oklahoma City over Los Angeles, and Portland, but maily over Los Angeles?

Yes. How many teams have moved from Los Angeles because they're not any good and as a result have no base of support from the home city? Answer, all of them. Portland's simply too close to Seattle to be really viable, IMO.

First of all, it's never gonna get to 40 teams. 32 is essentially the limit number for leagues, unless they do something like the NBA has mentioned and have a Europe division of 5 teams.

That's what they used to say when the league was at 28 teams, but look where we're at now. I think the US can realistically support about a team for every 7.5 million people, which would mean a max of 40 teams. Now if you start tapping into a place like Canada, with a strong football tradition separate from America's, you can drive that up even more.

Florida doesn't need a 4th team.

Florida doesn't need a new team, but is able to support one if it's in Orlando.

Omaha isn't near "Major" League level of potential sports teams.

On its own, no. But an Omaha team would tap NE Kansas (including Topeka, Lawrence, and Overland Park), the Dakotas, and Iowa. Before you ask, "But what about Kansas City?" Well, KC in Kansas is like the Lions in Detroit, you'll simply find more fans of other teams.

Vancouver wouldn't be a bad idea, but may be a little down on the list after some other cities.

I think Vancouver has the same problem as Portland, except worse, given its proximity to Seattle. You can't just plop down teams in cities because they're large, you have to think about regional coverage. I think Orlando is the exception that proves the rule, since it operates in a void and is essentially self-contained.

cttdolphins2.png

Norfolk (Hampton Roads Metro- 1.6 Million) would be a good idea, and it is no more in DC's back yard (193 miles) as Philly is in NYC, Baltimore is in Philly, and DC is in Baltimore. The advantage the area would have is it would be the only game in town. Plus it could over time develop a national following with all the naval personnel there. But hey this is all pretend so you can put a team anyplace. But since most of the East is taken, Hampton Roads is about the only place left other than Nassau County NY.

That's essentially why I put a team in Virginia. It would be the only major sports team in the state and would only compete with Virginia Tech and Virginia football.

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

I like many others see a 40 team league near impossible (although I'd be for it if it worked). Here is how I see an expanded and realigned NFL. I did not include expansion outside of the U.S. because I do not feel an NFL team can exsist where a CFL team already plays (Toronto).

AFC NORTH: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Virginia (Norfolk)

AFC EAST: New England, Buffalo, New York Jets, Miami, Jacksonville

AFC SOUTH: Houston, Tennessee, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Oklahoma (Okla. City)

AFC WEST: San Diego, Oakland, Denver, Oregon (Portland), Utah (Salt Lake)

NFC NORTH: Detroit, Minnesota, Chicago, Green Bay, St. Louis

NFC EAST: New York Giants, Philadelphia, Washington, Dallas, Carolina

NFC SOUTH: New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, San Antonio, Alabama (Birmingham)

NFC WEST: Arizona, San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles, Nevada (Las Vegas)

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

That's essentially why I put a team in Virginia. It would be the only major sports team in the state and would only compete with Virginia Tech and Virginia football.

Ya know I don't even know if UVa and VT would be that much competition. Sure they are state wide programs, but with VT being in the western part of the state and UVa in the center, that leaves Tidewater pretty much open. I think it is an overlooked market.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Im sorry but you cant take the Cheifs out of the AFC west. There is too much history between the Cheifs and the other three AFC west rivals. If you expand the AFC west it would have to have a LA team or move the Seahawks back to the AFC west and move the Texans to the NFC

raiders-2.png

3 pages and no concepts. Just re-alignment talk.

WHYYYYYYYYY?!

Yeah, I saw this bumped up on the top of the page and I was thinking after 3 pages there would be some concepts, so I clicked the link. But no concepts, just realignment talk. Shame.

Archived