ESPN is at it....

buzzcut

You thought Who's Now and Titletown U.S.A were dumb, well here comes something even dumber than those promotions....The Mount Rushmore of Sports. But wait, it gets worse, even worse than the My Wish series. Guess who's involved as a presenter.

None other than Rick Reilly. Someone, anyone (FOX, CBS, CNN, NBC, Versus, etc.) please put ESPN out of it's misery and start a nightly sports show.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the My Wish segments they do on ESPN, so I don't think they get any worse. The Make a Wish Foundation makes these wishes happen for kids who want to meet their favorite stars. I am a contributor for the Make a Wish Foundation and I truly wish they continue the series. I will admit it because it does bring a tear to my eye as the Make a Wish foundation has helped my family out when in time of need.

I love the My Wish segments they do on ESPN, so I don't think they get any worse. The Make a Wish Foundation makes these wishes happen for kids who want to meet their favorite stars. I am a contributor for the Make a Wish Foundation and I truly wish they continue the series. I will admit it because it does bring a tear to my eye as the Make a Wish foundation has helped my family out when in time of need.

I see you point there, but my complaint about the series isn't the series itself, it's the placement of it during SportsCenter. I think it would be better off as it's own standalone series, rather than as a SportsCenter segment.

MofnV2z.png

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I see you point there, but my complaint about the series isn't the series itself, it's the placement of it during SportsCenter. I think it would be better off as it's own standalone series, rather than as a SportsCenter segment.

I see you there, but I don't really mind, it gives me a big heart while watching my highlights ^_^

This idea was stolen from someone...I think its a Sporting News radio show. Its mentioned in the comments there.

I took that idea months ago and wanted to do illustrations of the Mt. Rushmore of the Cardinals for example and then expand it to other teams. And it'd be Mt. Rushmore but with the 4 best/iconic St. Louis Cardinals on it and title it Mt. Cardinal. Sell the crap out of them. Just never got around to it.

Oh and it was oging to be Stan the Man, Ozzie Smith, Bob Gibson and Pujols.

Still might do it someday...

This idea was stolen from someone...I think its a Sporting News radio show. Its mentioned in the comments there.

For those who are wondering, it's Todd Wright who ESPN is ripping off the M. Rushmore idea.

I took that idea months ago and wanted to do illustrations of the Mt. Rushmore of the Cardinals for example and then expand it to other teams. And it'd be Mt. Rushmore but with the 4 best/iconic St. Louis Cardinals on it and title it Mt. Cardinal. Sell the crap out of them. Just never got around to it.

MofnV2z.png

"To be eligible, the sports icons must be individuals who have made significant contributions to the world of sports in their respective states/regions."

"...fans can submit names of their top three athletes, coaches and/or team executives"

I'm going "outside-the-box", nominating candidates who made significant contributions to the world of sports as a whole... thus, also significantly impacting sports in Massachusetts. Further, they all have significant ties to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Mike Eruzione - The Massachusetts native scored the winning goal versus the Soviets in the "Miracle on Ice" game during the 1980 Olympic ice hockey tournament.

James Naismith - He invented the sport of basketball while serving as a teacher at the YMCA International Training School in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Cy Young - Arguably, one of the most dominant figures in the history of professional baseball, his achievements were thought to be so significant that Major League Baseball created the Cy Young Award to annually recognize the best pitchers in the American and National Leagues. Despite retiring in 1911, he still holds five major league records, including most career wins, most career games started, most complete games and most career innings pitched. He spent parts of nine seasons playing for Boston, Massachusetts-based major-league teams - eight complete seasons with the Boston Americans/Red Sox and part of his final season with the Boston Rustlers (later the Braves). In his first season with the Americans/Red Sox, he led the American League in wins, strikeouts and ERA. That season he also pitched the first perfect game in AL history. In 1903, he helped lead the Americans to victory in the first modern World Series over the Pittsburgh Pirates. He is tied for most career wins in Red Sox history with 192.

I'm going "outside-the-box", nominating candidates who made significant contributions to the world of sports as a whole... thus, also significantly impacting sports in Massachusetts. Further, they all have significant ties to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Mike Eruzione - The Massachusetts native scored the winning goal versus the Soviets in the "Miracle on Ice" game during the 1980 Olympic ice hockey tournament.

James Naismith - He invented the sport of basketball while serving as a teacher at the YMCA International Training School in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Cy Young - Arguably, one of the most dominant figures in the history of professional baseball, his achievements were thought to be so significant that Major League Baseball created the Cy Young Award to annually recognize the best pitchers in the American and National Leagues. Despite retiring in 1911, he still holds five major league records, including most career wins, most career games started, most complete games and most career innings pitched. He spent parts of nine seasons playing for Boston, Massachusetts-based major-league teams - eight complete seasons with the Boston Americans/Red Sox and part of his final season with the Boston Rustlers (later the Braves). In his first season with the Americans/Red Sox, he led the American League in wins, strikeouts and ERA. That season he also pitched the first perfect game in AL history. In 1903, he helped lead the Americans to victory in the first modern World Series over the Pittsburgh Pirates. He is tied for most career wins in Red Sox history with 192.

Nice call on all 3, but knowing ESPN, it'll probably be Tom Brady, Tom Brady and.......uh, oh yeah Tom Brady.

What? You were expecting me to say Matt Cassel didn't you? :D

MofnV2z.png

Nice call on all 3, but knowing ESPN, it'll probably be Tom Brady, Tom Brady and.......uh, oh yeah Tom Brady.

What? You were expecting me to say Matt Cassel didn't you? :D

Well, Matt Cassel can be the fourth figure :)

Aw man, here I am thinking you were going to name the 4 best St Louis FOOTBALL Cardinals.... :blink:

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm not going to participate in this ESPN crud, but if I did the Minnesota one would look like this:

Herb Brooks-'Nuff Said

Kirby Puckett

Bronko Nagurski

Dave Winfield

MofnV2z.png

If you wanted to be fair about it, Mount Colorado would look something like...

- John Elway

- Joe Sakic

- Carmelo Anthony

- Todd Helton or Larry Walker

...but to most in the area, it would probably be more like this:

- John Elway

- Mike Shanahan

- Terrell Davis

- Pat Bowlen

6uXNWAo.png

Archived