Michael Phelps- WHAT A DOPE

scottysprings

14-Times Olympic Gold Medalist Michael Phelps Caught With Cannabis Pipe

I'm not really too sure how big of a detriment this will be to his image and his career (hopefully not too dramatic) but I gotta say that article is pretty humorous. I can't help but to laugh at the attempted over-dramatization of the incident. Some quotes:

“He didn’t know many people so you’d think he’d be a little shy. But he was loud, obnoxious and slamming beers from the get-go."

“Every girl wanted a piece of him and every guy wanted to be his best buddy. He couldn’t get enough of all the attention.”

Our source said: “You could tell Michael had smoked before. He grabbed the bong and a lighter and knew exactly what to do.

“He looked just as natural with a bong in his hands as he does swimming in the pool. He was the gold medal winner of bong hits. Michael ended up getting a little paranoid, though, because before too long he looked like he was nervous and ran out of the place.”

Comments?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could care less. If it weren't for the idiot who took the picture and the idiots at the paper that printed it, it would be a non-issue. He's a 23 year old kid. What he was doing seems pretty normal to me. It sure doesn't hurt his ability to swim.

The PC inside of me says that this sets a bad example for the kids that might look up to him.

The non-PC inside of me says "14 gold medals, you can smoke as much as you freakin please." :P

He screwed up. It is stupid that someone of his celebrity would do things that could harm his image. It is illegal for a reason, same as drinking under the age of 21 down south, which he ignored back in 2004 when he got busted for a DUI. This guy isn't the brightest...

If he loses sponsorships, then good. It should set an example that people can pay for certain choices they make in life, whether others agree with its validity or not.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

if a doctor can write you a script for it, how is it obviously bad? alcohol, cigs, and plenty of legal drugs have far worse side effects. its only illegal because it is more profitable to remain so. I dont condone breaking laws, but im all for questioning them. As far as 'role models', i thinks its unrealistic to expect people to act perfect. Maybe if he was trying to achive sucess for fame, but my guess is he just set out to be the best he could at what he loves doing. All we should really expect of anyone is that they do nothing to infringe our right to live as we please.

Play RBI Baseball 2K9 @ http://league.rbicentral.com

The thing with weed is that, regardless of wether or not you think it should be illegal, a majority of people have a negative view of it and its users. He used an illegal substance and he will be receiving flack for that reason, not because of the potential negative side-effects smoking it will have on him. In reality, he was very foolish for doing it in a place where he would be so easily recognized and the event could be so easily documented. I personally have no problem with him smoking the ganj, the problem I have is with him doing so so recklessly. That is the true issue here.

if a doctor can write you a script for it, how is it obviously bad? alcohol, cigs, and plenty of legal drugs have far worse side effects. its only illegal because it is more profitable to remain so. I dont condone breaking laws, but im all for questioning them. As far as 'role models', i thinks its unrealistic to expect people to act perfect. Maybe if he was trying to achive sucess for fame, but my guess is he just set out to be the best he could at what he loves doing. All we should really expect of anyone is that they do nothing to infringe our right to live as we please.

Yea... ok there... lets conspire!!

While it doesn't affect us personally, the image he presents towards those kids who have looked up to him will not be a positive one. If he is going to do things which could damage his image, he should at least be smart about it. There is a reason we know next to nothing about the personal lives of most athletes because most are pretty damaging... why else are 'tell all' books so damaging and scary to those it discusses? Maybe he should find better people to hang out with. Either way, it is not good to show young people that they can brake laws (whether you agree with them or not) and get away with it.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

That has got to be the dumbest statement ever made, "If a doctor can write a prescription for it, how is it obviously bad?" Well, there are a lot of things that doctors can prescribe that are bad for you and do harm to your body. You have to be a complete moron to think that just because a doctor prescribes a medicine for you it's okay for you to take. Medicine effects everyone differently. Oh and by the way, it the prevailing attitude is because a doctor can prescribe it then it's okay. Please tell me why we crucify someone for taking steroids even though a doctor prescribed it to help with an injury? As soon as the word "steroids" come up, people assume it's bad. Yet no one does an investigation into why the athlete was taking the drug. Yet when it comes to marijuana, you have that group that always shows up, "Oh pot can be prescribed. Pot it good. Pot isn't bad. Leave him alone." I've always believed Phelps was a Class-A idiot and lo and behold we gave him enough rope to hang himself. I never liked the guy and now we really see what a complete moron he is. If you're going to be dumb enough to have this picture taken, then you are not a champion and the argument that he's 23 and that's okay is so pathetic. There are millions of 23 year olds that don't do drugs and conduct themselves with intelligence, something this moron couldn't figure out how to do, stay out of trouble even if it's a dumb picture.

I'm not the type that is super okay with weed. But I am a college student.

I wouldn't want my every move being up for public consumption. And we're it, I'm not sure I'd change my lifestyle that much. He's so good at what he does that he'll get more flack for this than others would. And that sucks for him.

It's not a great example for kids that look up to him, but I'm not sure he's in it for that. And while I think you can ask that he accept the responsibility that has been placed upon him, I think you also have to allow for a slip-up here and there with that massive responsibility.

Also, as a former swimmer (though never a marijuana smoker), I can't see him ever engaging in this activity on a frequent basis. Not to say he's only done it once, I'm just more than sure he's not a "pothead."

My opinion of him remains unchanged. Hopefully, so long as the responsibility of being a role model is placed on him, he'll be able to avoid future slip ups. But it's hard for me to be too upset with him for acting his age.

Was it wrong and stupid to do that? Yes it was. Don't get me wrong, I have never done a drug in my life, but most people don't take weed seriously for this to do any long term damage. He should not be doing it in public where everyone can get pictures. He is still stupid for doing it, but it's not going to have the same impact as some of the really hard core drugs would.

I don't do drugs of any kind, hell I don't even drink (and I'm going to college in western Kansas). But I don't have a negative view of drugs or alcohol, or even the people who choose to do them. In this case, unless he's injecting steroids into his body or punching his girlfriend in the face, I really don't care.

As far as doing this in a public place where his picture could be taken is concerned, Phelps never struck me as a highly intelligent person anyway. Aside from all that, I'm sure he's not the only Olympic athlete who's ever smoked pot.

But when an NBA or NFL player says he smokes weed, y'all give him all kinds of :censored:.

Interesting.

"Mikey, you smoke all the weed you want. Rickey, you're the biggest douche alive for wanting to smoke weed. Josh Howard is a moron for smoking weed...all those NBA guys are thugs!"

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived