Yankees' Patch on the back of the Cap!

nyk

Looks better then on the side, I sense this becomes a trend

I agree. I've always thought the patch looked strange on the side. It's much more natural to have it on the back.

Agree, I like it back their.

I like how the Yankees did it, but I can see other teams not being able to pull it off at all.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to think the Yankees don't need patches. You should be able to tell they're celebrating the opening of a new park by, I dunno, looking around. Put the logo on the stadium, but don't wear it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

New20Yankees20Hat20--20Jeter.jpg

Back of the cap, bright thread contrasting with dark fabric, round on top and flat on the bottom. So what the Yankees have accomplished is to make their fitted caps look like an old plastic-tab adjustable cap.

If these are one-offs for the Home Opener, fine. But as an everyday cap, I would prefer the side patch. For one thing, it's visible from the front; this is not. For another, the asymmetry maintains the impression of the patch as a temporary addition, rather than a permanent design element. It's the difference between putting a commemorative patch on the jersey sleeve and putting it centered on the back of the jersey.

20082614447.png

Back of the cap, bright thread contrasting with dark fabric, round on top and flat on the bottom. So what the Yankees have accomplished is to make their fitted caps look like an old plastic-tab adjustable cap.

If these are one-offs for the Home Opener, fine. But as an everyday cap, I would prefer the side patch. For one thing, it's visible from the front; this is not. For another, the asymmetry maintains the impression of the patch as a temporary addition, rather than a permanent design element. It's the difference between putting a commemorative patch on the jersey sleeve and putting it centered on the back of the jersey.

That's a pretty good point - I have to agree with that one.

Also, that shot demonstrates perfectly why all pinstripe jerseys should be on the raglan template. Please take note Phillies, Mets, and Chisox (among others.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yet they still can't put player's names on the uniforms?

Oh, they can. They just don't want to.

And frankly, they shouldn't. Babe Ruth didn't have his name on the back of his Yankee jersey, neither did Gehrig or Joltin' Joe or the Mick or Yogi. Or even Reggie, Billy or Yogi again. So I have no problem with holding the current players to the same aesthetic standard, seeing as how most of them couldn't hold a candle to the greats.

The jersey's cluttered enough as it is with the MLB patch. We don't need names to identify the Yanks.

Having read this argument from you (again) I await your impassioned defense of returning the Yankee$ to flannel uniforms and 1920s quality equipment.

You needn't envy the Yankees. Your birds have beautiful uniforms.

Oh, believe me when I say that--save for their endless reservoir of cash--I don't envy them a bit, in part because there's nothing about their uniforms--especially the homes--that I like.

And the Orioles have OK uniforms. They'd be beautiful if I had my way (lots of tweaks, not wholesale changes) with them, though! :D

It makes me think that they're doing this for the All Star Game caps too. Just look at how the MLB logo is centered like the Yankee patch. I know it's almost always centered on the bottom of the logo though.

pMLB2-5119658dt.jpg

It wouldn't bother me in the least if they did that. Like Gothamite, I think that it looks better on the back of the cap and less cluttered. It looks kind of awkward on the sides. I'm not 100% sure why though.

I agree with others who like the placement of this patch. It doesn't distract when looking at the players head-on.

But I don't think they need a cap AND jersey patch. It's a bit much (I would say this for all teams though).

Archived