CCSLC Championship Ring Thread

As of today there are reports of the new Cleveland Cavs NBA Championship Rings.  They might have been prematurely released by one of the players.  Many news outlets are reporting the same images of the new rings.  Take it for what its worth.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/look-richard-jefferson-gives-us-a-glimpse-at-the-cavs-2016-championship-rings/

• 3 weeks later...

Oliver, a fellow championship ring enthusiast, pointed out to me how Jostens has reused the Super Bowl 38 design (and molds) for College rings.  I believe they have also reused the molds for High School and have used the two later patriot Super Bowl winning rings for College and High school too.

Check out these ring designs as proof and examples:

jost7.jpg

Hey Mike:

I thought you might like this for your blog.............There was a piece on Monday night ESPN telecast about NY Giants Bobby Johnson pawning his SB XXI ring for $250, they said it was bought by a Giants fan for 10K in an auction later on, here is a link to the article...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17694257/remembering-new-york-giants-season-altering-1986-win-vikings

Anyone want to discuss the design of these two NFL championship rings from the 2003 season?

The ring on the left is the New England Patriots second Super Bowl Ring.  This beautiful championship ring was designed and manufactured by Jostens in solid 14K gold.

A phrase we hear so often with Super Bowl rings, and it holds true for this stunning championship ring – At the time of it’s design and creation, it was the largest and most blinged out Super Bowl ring to date. It brought Super Bowl ring design to a whole new level.

The Patriots Super Bowl XXXVIII player ring shown above, weighs 100 grams.

The team that loses the Super Bowl is recognized as a champion of their respective conference.   The Panthers 2003 NFC championship ring shown above, is the reoccurring same-mold championship ring Jostens was making at this time.

The Panthers ring weighs in at 66 grams and was made in solid 14K white gold.

Personally, I love the Pats rings - and Robert Kraft and his organization made a beauty - and while it was a new and breathtaking design - the following year's #39 ring was even bigger and contained even more dazzle.

sb38c.jpg

Ok, here's a design matter I'd like to discuss and hear other people's opinions and thoughts on:

It involves the Strange Story of The Jets & Vikings Last Championship Rings.

After seeing both of these championship rings over the years, it suddenly hit me how similar they are. 

As I researched this matter, the circumstances behind them became more bizarre.

Losing team of the Super Bowl earns a Super Bowl ring too. The losing team receives either an NFC or AFC championship ring, depending upon which conference they play in.

While Super Bowl rings have grown larger and larger, so have the NFC and AFC championship rings too. Today’s NFC and AFC championship rings are much larger than the early super bowl rings and even contain more diamonds than those early Super Bowl rings.

In the photo, on the right, is the Jets Super Bowl III ring, from the 1968 season. On the left is the Vikings 1976 NFC championship ring, resulting from a loss in Super Bowl XI.

You’ll notice that the NFC championship ring is around the same size as the Winning Super Bowl ring from just eight seasons earlier. Both championship rings contain six small diamonds, and one larger center diamond. While it’s true, and you can see that the Jets Super Bowl ring has a larger center diamond, the size of the two championship rings and size of the six smaller diamonds in each ring is very similar. The diamond placements and etching around the center diamond are quite similar too.

Now championship ring enthusiasts often site that ring makers often use the same molds and designs and rehash the same championship ring designs over and over. At first, I thought these two championship rings were a clear example of this. However, I realized that the Jets Super Bowl III ring was designed and manufactured by Balfour. Jostens had made the first two Super Bowl rings for the Packers and this was Balfour’s first Super Bowl ring.

The Vikings NFC championship ring was made by Jostens. How in the world did Jostens not realize that this style championship ring was already designed and used? Did Jostens even use the same mold, perhaps borrowed from Balfour? I wonder because the two tops look just about identical.

The similarities include the center football shaped gold metal that houses seven diamonds, and the wording on top and bottom, and even the four corners of the championship rings used to display the year of the season. Not only is the placement of the years identical, so is the type-style (today we call these things fonts).

It gets even stranger: Perhaps the football gods were not pleased with a winning Super Bowl ring and losing Super Bowl ring sharing the same mold or design. Since both of these championship rings were manufactured and awarded, neither team has made it back to the Super Bowl. Both teams have lost championship games and because of that, additional championship rings remained elusive.

If you add up the total years that both teams have had to wait for their next championship ring, it’s approaching a combined, mind-boggling 90 years! It’s not quite 90, but it’s in the high 80-something range.

This year the Jets are in a tail-spin while the Vikings and their defense look to be strong; so we’ll see in a few months if the Vikings are cursed, or destined to finally get a new championship ring.

Any thoughts on this???

sb3match.jpg